Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-02-2015, 10:16 AM   #1
Gold Digger

Default Going price for enclosed trailer service

Just wondering what the average price for hauling an antique car in an enclosed trailer goes for now days. Is it priced by the mile or job?
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:27 AM   #2
Bill's Auto Works

Default Re: Going price for enclosed trailer service

I charge by the loaded mile plus turnpike tolls. If you will pm me with the locations, I will be glad to quote you a cash on delivery price. Whoever you choose, do a Google search of them...there are a lot of Hacks & Conmen out there!
Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P0003606.jpg (91.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg P0003614.jpg (46.6 KB, 62 views)

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Amb. Cust. Lemans
1957 Pontiac Chieftain 2 DR HT
1964 Pontiac Grand Prix 2 DR HT
1966 Pontiac Catalina Conv
1966 AMC Ambassador DPL 2 DR HT
1966 AMC Ambassador Cust 2DR HT
1967 AMC Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Chevy Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS 2 DR Coupe
2007 Cadillac XLR-V Supercharged Roadster
Bill's Auto Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:58 PM   #3
Nabco

I paid $2200 to have two A's shipped from Orlando area to Columbus, OH on Passport Transport they were in our garages within 24 hours of pickup....
Nabco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:17 PM   #4
ronn

Prices have dropped rapidly with gas down.
six months ago-I was quoted 1300. from Cali to NJ on an open trailer
the other day, 700. bucks for the same trip..........................

obviously a bit more enclosed.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:18 PM   #5
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabco View Post
I paid $2200 to have two A's shipped from Orlando area to Columbus, OH on Passport Transport they were in our garages within 24 hours of pickup....
What was the quote, about $2 dollars a mile ?
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:00 PM   #6
Bill's Auto Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Prices have dropped rapidly with gas down.
six months ago-I was quoted 1300. from Cali to NJ on an open trailer
the other day, 700. bucks for the same trip..........................

obviously a bit more enclosed.
Please remember to compare apples to apples & oranges to oranges. These prices you were quoted were obviously on a multi-car transport (6-9 cars) These are not the kind of transports you would like to use if you care about your vehicle, regardless of whether it is open or enclosed. It is also possible you were quoted by a broker who will probably not even know who was transporting your vehicle.

1967 AMC Marlin
1967 Toronado
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS 2 DR Coupe
Old 02-02-2015, 03:25 PM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I just received a quote from a single-car carrier with his ICC Authority to move a Model-T from Jacksonville to my shop for $650.00. By my calculations, that is $1.25 a loaded mile.

My advice is first consider what your car is worth to you. Next consider who you feel good about working with, then go from there. I can't speak for others, but saving $100 with a company that you are constantly spending your valuable time calling trying to get updates on delivery or worrying exactly where your car is quickly eats up that $$ amount of savings. I sure don't have time for that chance of stress!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:09 PM   #8
Nabco

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
Wayne
Not sure on the mileage rate, they picked up both cars at my father-in-law's house and delivered to two different address in Columbus, mine and my brother-in-law.

The experience with Passport could not have been better, from the time they left Florida, via GPS, we knew exactly where the cars were. My father-in-law was a little nervous about using a transport company, but when the guys got there and they were familiar with the Model A's, easily started them and meticulously got them into the truck he was very happy.

I have no affiliation with Passport, just sharing my experience.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:14 PM   #9
Nabco

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
Wayne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill's Auto Works View Post
Please remember to compare apples to apples & oranges to oranges. These prices you were quoted were obviously on a multi-car transport (6-9 cars) These are not the kind of transports you would like to use if you care about your vehicle, regardless of whether it is open or enclosed. It is also possible you were quoted by a broker who will probably not even know who was transporting your vehicle.
Not sure why you would not want to use a multi-car transport, these guys are pros and I did a ton of research before choosing Passport and there are others just as good.

Yes there are a ton of brokers out there who put your car in the cheapest form of transportation out there, just a small amount of research in the Internet will point these guys out to you.

Our cars were on a truck hauling cars back north that participated in the Great American Race, cars worth north of $100,000, if it's good enough for the owners of those cars it was certainly good enough for me.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:44 PM   #10
Bill's Auto Works

[QUOTE=Nabco;1026722]Not sure why you would not want to use a multi-car transport, these guys are pros and I did a ton of research before choosing Passport and there are others just as good.

I did not quote your post Nabco, Pasport has done a lot of good work, but you are not going to get them to go across country for a low price. Most multi-car transporters do not take car of vehicles like they do. From dropping cars in an outside storage lot for long periods of time, to chaining down cars so hard they rip the frame to unloading & reloading many times during the trip & causing damage to having the vehicles on the top dripping brake fluid, gear oil, etc down on the cars underneath to missing delivery dates by weeks. The list goes on & on.

Also, the fact they were bringing the cars north from the great American race is the reason you were able to get the price you did. They had a couple of spots left on the truck.

1967 AMC Marlin
1967 Toronado
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS 2 DR Coupe

Last edited by Bill's Auto Works; 02-02-2015 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:03 PM   #11
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

[QUOTE=Bill's Auto Works;1026749]
Quote:
Not sure why you would not want to use a multi-car transport, these guys are pros and I did a ton of research before choosing Passport and there are others just as good.

I did not quote your post Nabco, Pasport has done a lot of good work, but you are not going to get them to go across country for a low price. Most multi-car transporters do not take car of vehicles like they do. From dropping cars in an outside storage lot for long periods of time, to chaining down cars so hard they rip the frame to unloading & reloading many times during the trip & causing damage to having the vehicles on the top dripping brake fluid, gear oil, etc down on the cars underneath to missing delivery dates by weeks. The list goes on & on.

Are you suggesting that will never happen with a private or a smaller carrier ? I used a smaller one and lost my car for two days while he visited an old Navy buddy at his cottage. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:10 PM   #12
Bill's Auto Works

Smile Re: Going price for enclosed trailer service

Are you suggesting that will never happen with a private or a smaller carrier ? I used a smaller one and lost my car for two days while he visited an old Navy buddy at his cottage. Wayne[/B][/QUOTE]

I cannot speak for anybody else, but It would NEVER happen with my service. If you talk to any of my past customers, they would probably say they got tired of hearing from me with updates along the road!

1967 AMC Marlin
1967 Toronado
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS 2 DR Coupe
Old 02-02-2015, 05:24 PM   #13
Nabco

[QUOTE=Bill's Auto Works;1026749]
Quote:

Also, the fact they were bringing the cars north from the great American race is the reason you were able to get the price you did. They had a couple of spots left on the truck.
Of course you get a better rate when there are more cars, that's how they can quote the lower rates.

The low rates I received had nothing to do with The GAR, the quote they gave me was 2 or 3 months before we confirmed a pickup date and they honored that rate when I actually scheduled it. The only benefit I got because of The GAR was we received the cars in less than 24 hours because the other four cars needed to be in northern Ohio by the next day.

M sure your transport service is world class, I'm just sharing that there are other options that are just as good and at maybe a better cost.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:44 PM   #14
Bill's Auto Works

I am always glad when a customer has a good experience with their transporter regardless of what company it is. I was just trying answer to OPs question & give him some things to consider. I am definitely not pining for more business, I am always booked way too far in advance now!

1967 AMC Marlin
1967 Toronado
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS 2 DR Coupe
Old 02-02-2015, 06:34 PM   #15
Roadster Rich

Another thing to consider about closed or open. I shipped my Roadster one time on an open trailer. Both wind wings were gone. The top was almost ruined, but did stay attached. All the pin studs where it connects along the back in front of the rumble seat were torn out of the wood. I am not sure how fast they move or what the wind motion is, but my car always did fine at about 50mph, but this sure did some damage. Now maybe the vibration caused the wind wings to fall, but if it was in a van they would have still been there. Second time was in a closed van and it was just like when I put it in there.
Roadster Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:33 PM   #16
Pete

Quote:

Yes there are a ton of brokers out there who put your car in the cheapest form of transportation out there, just a small amount of research in the Internet will point these guys out to you.

Our cars were on a truck hauling cars back north that participated in the Great American Race, cars worth north of $100,000, if it's good enough for the owners of those cars it was certainly good enough for me.
I used a multi car transport when I had my 2 door moved.
They poked a 2 inch hole in the brand new top.
Sure, they paid for a new top but it was a hassle taking time out to do it and tie up a stall in the shop.
Never again for me.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:44 PM   #17
a-bone newby

be aware I had a quote of 1700 can. from stevensville ont. to central b.c. and didnt get delivery so I had to go to calgary alta. and pick up my A after 4 weeks so be CAREFUL AND CHECK everything. leave no stone unturned hve fun
a-bone newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:49 PM   #18
Great Lakes Greg

When we sold my late fathers '68 Imperial, it was picked up from Michigan for a trip to Florida on a multi-car carrier. The driver chained it down so tight, that I thought the torsion bars might spit out the bottom. I will always pay extra for one car in one trailer.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:02 PM   #19
Ed Northrop

I sold my one of my 29 Reos to a guy in Michigan he had a multi car transport company pick it up at my house almost a month went by he called me to ask if the car had been picked up yet. He only lived several hours from me when they found his car it was being stored in a warehouse in Calf waiting for a truck to come back towards Michigan not good in my book
Ed Northrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:23 PM   #20
Gold Digger

Thanks you guys for all the information. I myself wouldn't think of having any of my cars or trucks hauled on an open trailer more than locally. I have seen people climbing in vehicles on open trailers and opening hoods while the truckers were in a restaurant eating.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote