Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-08-2010, 10:56 PM   #41
Terry, NJ

Default Re: Marvelous Mystery Oil?

I use MMO to unstick an engine that hasn't run in a while. Makes them crank and start easier. Every so often, you'll hear that MMO is just ATF in a bright red can. MMO was around in the Twenties (at least I think it was) anyway it predates ATF.
I met a Case Backhoe owner and operator, who swears it cleans the injectors in his diesel. It seems to be good stuff!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:44 AM   #42
jed85

MMO is a dirivative of automatic transmission fluid. Pour both into separtate cups and compare.
jed85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:23 AM   #43
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
I use MMO to unstick an engine that hasn't run in a while. Makes them crank and start easier. Every so often, you'll hear that MMO is just ATF in a bright red can. MMO was around in the Twenties (at least I think it was) anyway it predates ATF.
I met a Case Backhoe owner and operator, who swears it cleans the injectors in his diesel. It seems to be good stuff!
Terry
since 1923
Old 08-09-2010, 01:24 AM   #44
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed85 View Post
MMO is a dirivative of automatic transmission fluid. Pour both into separtate cups and compare.
Or is automatic transmission fluid a dirivative of MMO?
Old 08-09-2010, 06:18 AM   #45
SANTA Ray

Just a tip. I have a friend that runs MMO but tooo much. His new rebuild was a smoker and I couldn't figure out why. Then he told about the MMO, my opinion his mixture was to strong. So my point is check your plugs and mare sure you are burning clean if not reduce the mixture. I think MMO is a good product if used correctly.
SANTA Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:50 AM   #46
Terry, NJ

Quote:
See what I mean! Yet MMO has been around since 1923 (Thank you Mike)
It predates ATF by at least 10-12 years. We had this out over on "Yesterday's Tractors" a few years ago. I admit it looks like ATF but so does Vodka look like water. BUT ATF can be used in the same way! I am more favorable to MMO's ability to unstick an engine than it's qualities as an fuel additive. I do put some in my Backhoe because it sits for long peroids with out running.
Terry
Old 08-09-2010, 07:05 AM   #47
allen

Send a message via ICQ to allen

I used mmo for years, found it to be great in unsticky lifters that got gum up from dirty oil, and much the same way a aspirin a day will keep the doctor away i do use it in my gas, now will my motor run longer and better than with out it who knows but it makes me feel better, think I'm going to try it on my bald head see if might give some life up there, lol
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:34 AM   #48
Richard/Ca

Are sticky values riding with you tonite. Use Bardal! Bardal did it again. Remember this stuff?
Richard/Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:03 AM   #49
TerryH

The correct mix is 4 oz per 10 gallons....some mentioned using 6-8 oz and that would be too much.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:05 AM   #50
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard/Ca View Post
Are sticky values riding with you tonite. Use Bardal! Bardal did it again. Remember this stuff?
Is Bardal still availible,worked great on a 57 olds i had. ken ct
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:19 PM   #51
Freddie (Memphis)

A related (somewhat) story...

After we were married, I bought us a new '78 Pontiac Bonneville Brougham...big four door model, 350 cu in, auto, air, steering, brakes, power everything, crushed velour interior...a real pimp-mobile...rode like your living room. Well, we kept that car for almost 75K miles, which is about my limit on cars...after that I'm tired of 'em. Mama drove that car all the time - it was really "her" car. One day she came home telling me how the car had something wrong with it...seems to have "hitch" in it she said. Said she could feel it at the light...it would sorta "hiccup" as she referred to it. So...I checked it out and diagnosed it as either a collapsed hydraulic lifter, or a stuck valve. Next morning, I drove it to a local shop near my office, Pashby's Automotive. Charlie Pashby was an older man, now long gone, that I had great respect for...he had forgotten more by accident than I will probably ever know about automotive mechanics. Charlie listened to my explanation, and even agreed with my diagnosis in part. He suggested it could also be a fouled plug, even a bad plug wire. But, he said he'd look at it and for me to call him back after lunch. I walked across the street and on up to my office a couple of blocks away.

So, after lunch I called Charlie. He said the car would be ready when I got off work, just come on by and they'd be there until about 6:30. So, I walked on over when I left the office.

As I rounded the corner of Charlie's lot, I noticed my Pontiac sitting right next to the building...hood still up. "Hell," I said aloud, "...I'll bet it's not ready!!!" I started to get all spooled up when Charlie came out of the shop and walked over to my car. "It's about ready for you, Fred." he said over his shoulder, "Jump in and start 'er up for me." So, I did...but I noticed it was hard to start. I could see Charlie working the throttle open and shut while I was cranking on the starter, and could feel the vibration on the gas pedal. Finally it caught and started running, but it was ROUGH...stumbling, coughing, and barely maintaining idle speed. Then I got a view of the smoke...BOY HOWDY...was it smokin'....! Damn thing looked like a mosquito fogger...clouds...and I mean CLOUDS of smoke coming from the exhaust....CLOUDS! Wrapped all around the end of Charlie's building and billowed on down the street. You'd a thought it was a WWI phosgene or mustard gas attack! I caught a glimpse of Charlie under the edge of the still open hood and he was pouring something down the carburator. I got out to see, and he was pouring a quart can of automatic transmission fluid down the carburator throat...not fast, just drizzling it as he held the throttle open to keep it from dying. Smoke was everywhere...clouds of billowing white smoke poured out of the exhaust.

I waited until he had finished and asked him what was up... He said he had poured about a half a quart through the carb after I had left and kept on until the engine died. Then he had just let it sit for several hours. He said that gave the ATF a chance to seep in around the stuck lifter and free it up. That's what made the engine so hard to start when I tried to start it, he explained. He went on to say that he poured the rest of the quart through the carb after it started back up just to make sure. He told me to take the car out on the expressway for a while to blow it out...or, just drive home in second gear to allow the engine to rev higher than it normally would to help clean out all the ATF from the intake, etc. Total cost, $10.00, cash....and thank you very much for your business.

Well...that did the trick...ATF down the intake until the engine strangled, and then let 'er sit for a few hours. I'd have never guessed that would have been all it took to fix that sticking lifter.

MMO is prety much the same idea, I 'spect...

Charlie Pashby...I miss that ol' man...he may not have had all the formal educational courses in automotive mechanics, nor all the certificates on the wall...but, he sure knew how to make an engine run and keep it running.

I'm still doin' the rhumba, Baby...I just can't seem to quit. If momma catches us doin' the rhumba....momma would just pitch a fit. I can't help myself....it's much bigger than me. If I were you I'd hang on to a rhumba man like me...!

Last edited by Freddie (Memphis); 08-09-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Freddie (Memphis) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:05 PM   #52
Frank Nemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen View Post
I used mmo for years, found it to be great in unsticky lifters that got gum up from dirty oil, and much the same way a aspirin a day will keep the doctor away i do use it in my gas, now will my motor run longer and better than with out it who knows but it makes me feel better, think I'm going to try it on my bald head see if might give some life up there, lol
Let me know if MMO works on your bald head. If it does I could use it there my self!
Frank Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #53
zzlegend

It worked for me. In 1968 i soaked my lower face in it for an hour. Havent used a razor to this day.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:08 AM   #54
vinepro

If you run MMO for one tank of gas and then pull the manifold you will see a small oil resadue in the chamber in all the valves. the stuff really works
vinepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:33 AM   #55
skip
Banned

When a semi broke down on the toll road in sub zero temps I drove that driver to a store for two qts. of ATF, which he used to fill his diesel fuel filters, only to find out that the tiny shaft driving the fuel pump had broken and was not delivering fuel to the injectors on his CAT engine. But the engine did run on the ATF. Hu Ha! for ATF.

skip.
skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:50 AM   #56
Terry, NJ

Skip,, I don't know much about diesels, I've only owned two of them, My Case Backhoe and my VW Jetta TDI. However, a diesel mechanic friend told me once that any kind of oil you can force through the injector will make it run. I don't know! I know my jetta has run on heating oil, filtered waste vegetoble oil. and anything else that I don't think is too risky to feed through it. I've told my wife, if she runs out of fuel in it and there's none around, go to a supermarket and buy a gallon of of corn oil or whatever. It'll get you home! So I'd be surprised if the diesel didn't run on ATF.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip View Post
When a semi broke down on the toll road in sub zero temps I drove that driver to a store for two qts. of ATF, which he used to fill his diesel fuel filters, only to find out that the tiny shaft driving the fuel pump had broken and was not delivering fuel to the injectors on his CAT engine. But the engine did run on the ATF. Hu Ha! for ATF.

skip.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #57
inex01

My car had low compression in #2. I did a compression check with the engine warm and had a 36LB reading, squirted oil in cylinder ran test again with same results. After this my assumption was a bad valve and I remembered that way back in the 60s my Dad would use MMO in his cars and would swear that it would keep the valve train in great condition, well nothing to loose so I headed to Advance Auto bought a BIG Bottle added maybe 1.2 into the fuel and the remainder in the crankcase. Guess what IT WORKED ! yes my #2 now has a sold 55LBS and she runs perfect. So it does work and was the biggest bang for the buck I had in a very long time.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:39 PM   #58
Craig Lewis

Quote:
...they BOTH tasted awful
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #59
rdscouple

snake oil
rdscouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #60
J Franklin

Medusa oil - it does many mystical and wondrous things.
J Franklin is online now   Reply With Quote