Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-26-2014, 01:23 PM   #1
V8COOPMAN

Default Excelsior Stahl Radial Tires...16"

Anyone here currently running Corky's Excelsior Stahl Sport Radials on old Ford 16" wheels? And if so, running with or without tubes? Tentative sizes will be 550s and 750s, on 4" and 4-1/2" wide, 16" wheels. Surely would like to hear about any first-hand experiences........likes or dis-likes. Click the link below. Thanks....DD

http://www.excelsiortires.com/excels...-sport-radials

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:07 PM   #2
Steve/IL

Default Re: Excelsior Stahl Radial Tires...16"

V8COOPMAN,
I haven't driven my car with the Excelsior Sport Radials yet. They are mounted on '35 Ford wheels with tubes. If you decide to run tubes, make sure that you specify tubes with large diameter offset stems. I also suggest that you check with Summit Racing. I believe that they stock all of Coker's tires and they have free shipping on orders over $99.00! I'm running 550s and 700s. Check the diameter of the 750s. As I recall the diameter is 30+ inches!
Old 12-26-2014, 02:21 PM   #3
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve/IL View Post
V8COOPMAN,
I haven't driven my car with the Excelsior Sport Radials yet. They are mounted on '35 Ford wheels with tubes. If you decide to run tubes, make sure that you specify tubes with large diameter offset stems. I also suggest that you check with Summit Racing. I believe that they stock all of Coker's tires and they have free shipping on orders over $99.00! I'm running 550s and 700s. Check the diameter of the 750s. As I recall the diameter is 30+ inches!
Yup, the 750s are actually noted at 31.6" tall. And you're correct......Summit and Jegs both offer free shipping. Much appreciate the tip on the tube stems offset and diameter. Are those wheels going on your sedan delivery? I just noticed the SD bumper.

Any more with any experience? DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 12-26-2014, 02:24 PM   #4
Krylon32

I'm on my second car with Stahl radials (500/16 & 750/16) and I have them mounted on new 16" steelies. I chose to run tubes. I have a friend who started out with tubes but on the inside of his tires were some sort of labels which wore his tubes and caused slow leaks, he removed the tubes and is running tubeless. I think the tube thing is a CYA deal for Coker. I love the way my 32 roadster drives with the tires. I am currently doing a deuce pu and am running the same sized tires on it. I used 7.50s on a previous deuce pu and they really fill the fender, have to position the rear end dead on.

Last edited by Krylon32; 12-27-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
roadster36
BANNED

Yes, I have them on my Victoria, with tubes. The car is a pleasure to drive and light years ahead of my bias-ply equipped roadster. I am going to change to Excelsior tires on my other cars soon. They are expensive but in my opinion well worth the $$$.
roadster36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:02 PM   #6
J & D

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I have at least 18,000 miles on my Roadster with these same tires, running tubeless. No problems.
J & D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:24 PM   #7
V8COOPMAN

I'm gettin' a warm and fuzzy! This is sounding very encouraging from you guys. Any more positive experiences? Thank you for the replies so far. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 12-26-2014, 08:50 PM   #8
roadster36
BANNED

Shop around for the best price, I see a lot of differences depending on who you are purchasing them from.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_57.JPG (76.5 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 00u0u_9hyGf7uwQuw_600x450.jpg (50.1 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 00w0w_kmfWUPEoZYE_600x450.jpg (45.7 KB, 67 views)
roadster36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:32 AM   #9
hotrodA

If you run tubes, make sure they are radial spec tubes. They have heavier gauge rubber, better splice, and better valve stem base. Michelin still made them as of a couple years ago. Watch out for the same size, Chicom made, bias farm tire tubes. They can't stand up to the flex from the radial tire. Yes, they will hold air, but like a lot of others things we do, aren't designed for this. Run tubeless anytime you can.
hotrodA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:52 AM   #10
Krylon32

Looking at ordering more Stahl tires and noticed Summit shipping is free while Jegs has a $9.99 surcharge listed with each tire. Jegs had all the sizes I needed but Summit had a later shipping date on some. I didn't check tubes
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:04 AM   #11
Steve/IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Yup, the 750s are actually noted at 31.6" tall. And you're correct......Summit and Jegs both offer free shipping. Much appreciate the tip on the tube stems offset and diameter. Are those wheels going on your sedan delivery? I just noticed the SD bumper.

Any more with any experience? DD
V8COOPMAN,
The Excelsiors on my 32 B-400 project.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:21 AM   #12
JM 35 Sedan

I have been waiting for Diamondback to introduce their new Auburn Radials that look like bias ply tires, but for some reason they are not yet available. They advertise them on pg 22 in their on-line catalog as coming in either black wall or white wall in sizes 550R16 to 750R16.

http://www.dbtires.com/

I do like the looks of these Excelsior Stahl radial tires, but for what I would like to buy the price is at $1,140.00 for four tires based on Cokers price list.

I will give Diamondback a call to get an update on when their Auburns might be available and at what price. If they can't give me some information that I feel is acceptable, I will probably order Cokers Excelsior tires.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 12:20 PM   #13
V8 Bob

I have also been waiting for the Diamond Back Auburn radials (to replace the Firestone bias) mainly because I don't want to run tubes, and the Coker Classic/Excelsior 16" radials are stated to require tubes. Yet several here run these tires without tubes with no apparent problems. Sooo, are the tires possibly constructed as tubeless, or are those that run without tubes just lucky?
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 03:20 PM   #14
V8COOPMAN

John and V8 Bob.......We've been watching the "promised" dates on the DB Auburns come and go for well over a year now. Almost as disappointing as those aluminum flatheads Mark Kirby has been promising for how many years now, but that's a story for another day. Thank you guys! Your Excelsior Spahl feedback, along with the tube usage details is very encouraging, and much appreciated. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 12-28-2014, 01:46 PM   #15
V8COOPMAN

I'd like to thank everyone for the feedback so far. One last request for first-hand experience with these nice looking tires before we pick-up the phone to take the plunge. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 12-28-2014, 01:57 PM   #16
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone, Just slightly off topic, but possibly helpful...

Is there any other selection for a period correct looking radial? We've heard of the (unavailable) Diamondbacks and these Stahl's, but are there any other possibilities?

As JM points out, at over $1000 for a new set, I'm listening before reaching for my credit card!

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 02:28 PM   #17
V8COOPMAN

We've been researching this aggressively for a couple of months now. Most-importantly, if you want to run two different sizes as in "big 'n littles", and you also want matching tread designs front and rear, these Excelsiors seem to be about the only game going in 16". In addition, they ARE available. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE