Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #1
denis4x4

Default Model A's The Youth Market

This is an interesting piece from SEMA News. The one bit of data that blew me away was the statistics on driver's licenses.

http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2013/...asts-vanishing
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
rosenkranswa

Default Re: Model A's The Youth Market

When I was growing up I couldn't wait to get my drivers license. My son is 29 and he couldn't wait. My daughter is 24 and she couldn't wait, but some of her friends just didn't seem interested. A lot of my students now just don't seem to care if they get their license or not. They take the exam, fail, and don't take it again. I make the point to them that its not really fair to expect their parents to schlepp them everywhere and they nod yes, but don't really seem interested.

Interesting to contemplate what the underlying causes might be.

'19 T Speedster
'26 T Touring
'29 A Roadster
'30 AA Stakebed
'30 A Pickup
'30 A Town Sedan
'31 A Station Wagon
'38 Columbia Girls bike (WWII)
'40 Elgin Boys bike (WWII)
'42 Super Deluxe Tudor
'42 Willys MB Jeep
'43 Willys MBT Trailer
'43 M3A4 Hand Cart
'43 Harley Davidson 42WLA with sidecar
rosenkranswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
CarlG

When I was growing up in Arizona, 15 years, 7 months old -- to the day -- every kid I knew (myself included) was standing in line at DMV for their "Learner's Permit". Nevermind we had all been driving for a couple years already.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
heneste

I know alot of the youth today consider the ownership and maintenance costs to be quite high so they opt for public transit as the cheaper alternative.

There could also be more of a push towards public transit as more and more people consider environment friendly modes of travel.

These are just guesses on my part though!
heneste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
P.S.

City kids....
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
nellis003

I ditched school on my 16th birthday to stand in line at the DMV. To me, getting that license meant a level of freedom I'd never known before. I'll never forget how much of a thrill it was to drive by myself for the very first time. The thought that I could now go anywhere I wanted actually gave me a great sense of responsibility.

I think the difference today is that the younger generation don't value freedom as much. They've had every minute of their lives planned out for them, and don't have much use for the idea of coming up with places to go and things to do on their own.

There was an interesting piece on 20/20 a while back that focused on how the generation entering the workforce now need to be constantly directed, praised, and entertained in order to keep them as employees. That makes me genuinely worried about the future.

Nick
nellis003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #7
BobbyG

I know that there are exceptions and you should not make sweeping generalisations .................BUT .. The younger generation - kids 15 - 21 years just seem so.....soft and flakey - with so little interest in anything that is not cell phone related.

We choose to drive these old cars because they have soul and character and it takes us back to when we were young.

Not sure what todays youth is going to look back on when they get older.

But hey if I sound cynical - it's cos I am
BobbyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #8
mmindling

Received my driver's license in Chicago at the Elston Avenue DMV on my 16th birthday, June 1963.

My dad and I had already been working for three years on my Model A, a 1928 Tudor, *A 457909* which we purchased for $100 and restored ourselves in the garage.

Took the driver's exam in the A. The deputy was mildly amused, but I passed the first time and went on to drive the A to high school for two more years. Would I like to find that car now?

There has always been an A in my life since then.

Regards,

Martin Mindling Watertown, Ohio *A 11739*
mmindling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #9
ctlikon0712

They're too busy playing the latest video game or social media to even go outside much less go driving. JMO
Old 04-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctlikon0712 View Post
They're too busy playing the latest video game or social media to even go outside much less go driving. JMO
I agree, when's the last time you saw a group of teenagers get together for a vacant lot baseball game. True, there are a lot fewer vacant lots, but there are parks.........or don't they allow baseball in the parks any more? Individual rights are being taken away so quickly, it's hard to keep up with the latest.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #11
ctlikon0712

I guess in all fairness with the economy, the kids today are having a harder time getting one job much less two. It might just be too expensive to own a car for the average young person. My stepson is 24, mechanically inclined and because of the current situation with healthcare the businesses keep all employees at part time status so that they don't have to provide health benefits. So with gas, insurance and cell phone bill, he is quite taxed fiscally. But he does love cars and enjoys helping me with the Model A.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #12
SDJason

sadly...this seems very true.
I think gen-x was the last generation that couldn't wait to get their driver's licenses...now, it is not all that uncommon to see 25 year olds who don't have one yet.

They grew up in a world where their parents chauffeured them to anything farther than two houses away (can't walk or ride a bike there! you might get kidnapped or hit by a car), playing with friends meant sitting in front of a nintendo, xbox, or playstation for hours on end, and increasingly, their parents don't have any mechanical skills to pass along either anyways.

Also have to agree with the observations regarding increased costs, and that today's cars aren't really made to tinker with as things from the '70s and earlier
SDJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #13
Great Lakes Greg

Living in a rural area allowed a couple of my classmates and I to take turns driving to drivers ed. I drove my dad's '39 Ford once, (this was 1984) but it attracted so much attention in the school parking lot, that I was sure he'd find out. Somehow he didn't.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #14
jkeesey

I for one, was waiting to get my permit on my 16th birthday and got my license 6 months later to the day. Most of the youth today are not shown properly how to be a man. I was taught to work for everything you have and nothing is handed to you. The day after I got my license I got a after school job. I'm looking forward to the day when flathead fords are not seen as usable and are cheap. I'm gonna have a great collection.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #15
29ModelA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctlikon0712 View Post
I guess in all fairness with the economy, the kids today are having a harder time getting one job much less two. It might just be too expensive to own a car for the average young person. My stepson is 24, mechanically inclined and because of the current situation with healthcare the businesses keep all employees at part time status so that they don't have to provide health benefits. So with gas, insurance and cell phone bill, he is quite taxed fiscally. But he does love cars and enjoys helping me with the Model A.
This is a huge part of it. Good paying jobs are not out there, especially here in Michigan. As one of the 'younger' crowd I have been VERY fortunate to get the job I have. It pays well, but I am away from home 3 weeks a month (except weekends). When I am home I spend it with family, I get an hour a day on the weekend to work on the car, and that is only if my 'chores' are done. If my son is awake we are playing together, at 2 he has helped on the car even, but it is hard to keep the attention.

Most of my friends are stuck in $10 or less an hour jobs, and don't have the money for rent much less luxury's like a car you may only put a couple thousand miles a year on and have to maintain twice as much.

All the old fart CEO's outsourced and offshore'ed our jobs.

Interior, steering box (rebuild), and I am sure much more!
29ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #16
columbiA

At 15,I was running around all summer in my 1st A on a learners permit.When I got my licence at 16 I didnt need to take the drivers test as the Govt Agent said he new I could drive as he had seen me driving the previous summer.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #17
ronn

guess you guys are talking about my kids....
they have no interest in working, so it doesn't matter that there aren't that many jobs....
this is a different generation and no, I didn't spoil them-contrary.
computers and cellphones, albeit technology are changing the world-both good and bad.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:56 PM   #18
John Duden

i'v been pulled over twice, (12&13) ....working on getting my licence in the next month or two,
i was pretty excited, but with what has been happening here lately, a lot of things are not really thrilling anymore.
John Duden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:37 AM   #19
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Lakes Greg View Post
Living in a rural area allowed a couple of my classmates and I to take turns driving to drivers ed. I drove my dad's '39 Ford once, (this was 1984) but it attracted so much attention in the school parking lot, that I was sure he'd find out. Somehow he didn't.
Maybe he did and just never said anything. I found out that my Dad knew of things I did that I always thought I had got away with.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:40 AM   #20
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I beleive that with the communications that are available today there is little need to get together with friends as we did.

I don't think it has anything to do with owning a car. I remember if I wanted the car I had to drive my Dad to work and be there to pick him up. I did not own my own car until after college.

Two of my kids wanted thier license right away and one did not.