Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-14-2024, 11:47 AM   #1
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Why is there a need for an Adjustable Drag Link?

I fielded a phone call from someone asking about needing an adjustable drag link. I gave him my opinion that an adjustable drag link was a bandaid for a different problem that should be addressed, but I don't think he agreed with me. I explained that the only reason why the steering wheel would be off-set would be either a bent Drag Link, a bent Steering Arm, or the Drag Link internals (Spring, Ball Seat, etc.) is made/installed incorrectly causing the ball-to-ball distance to be off just enough. So to satisfy my curiosity since I may be overlooking else related to the Steering Shaft, Sector or Worm, is there anything else someone else has experienced that has caused a mis-aligned steering wheel??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 12:00 PM   #2
Curtis in MA

Default Re: Why is there a need for an Adjustable Drag Link?

Shortened Pitman arm.
Curtis in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 12:50 PM   #3
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in MA View Post
Shortened Pitman arm.
I think that is the most common reason. I remember someone selling an adjustable drag link years ago on Ford Barn.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 01:49 PM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
I think that is the most common reason. I remember someone selling an adjustable drag link years ago on Ford Barn.
Yeah, maybe. I personally think the most common reason for steering wheels to be skewed is the Spindle Steering Arm is bent. I have seen plenty of cars with stock Steering Gear (a/k/a Pitman) Arm and the Steering Wheels were off, so is the shortened arm that is truly causing it?

Also, when you look at factory pictures, the Drag Link is almost horizontal. Because of the length when I tried to calculate it, I found by raising the end by 1½" is only moving the one end of the 22" long Drag Link came out to about 3.75° of Sector rotation. Thinking out loud, where this would likely be exacerbated is when the front springs have lost their arch causing the the Drag Link to have a much more severe angle.

On a side note, the stock 7-tooth gearbox has about a 11:1 gear ratio. Sure would be cool to machine a smaller diameter worm gear and then a larger gear on the sector to gain a higher ratio yet would still be hidden within the steering gearbox.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg assembly3.jpg (78.5 KB, 54 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 03-14-2024, 02:13 PM   #5
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Yeah, maybe. I personally think the most common reason for steering wheels to be skewed is the Spindle Steering Arm is bent.
Brent, I'm sure you are correct. You have works on a lot more Model As then I have.

I guess what I meant was, People that install a shortened pit man arm, notice a miss aligned steering wheel right away and ask about the misaligned steering wheel and want to it corrected.

People with bent parts usually don't not notice right away because it either happened over time or it has been bent a long time and they got used to it.

Little story from my past. I used to be a motorcycle mechanic and when a customer brought a bike in for a tune up (or other work) and I test rode it after, I would notice instantly he need steering head bearing. The bike would "lock" from bearing wear in the straight ahead position. They didn't even notice until I pointed it out to them!
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 03:31 PM   #6
nkaminar

If you put a F-100 steering box in your Model A, the center of travel of the box is not with the wheels pointed straight ahead. That is the only reason I know of to use an adjustable drag link. With stock Model A parts in good condition the adjustable drag link should not be needed.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 12:06 AM   #7
P.S.

I really like the adjustable drag link because it is a lot beefier than the stock one.
Old 03-15-2024, 08:51 AM   #8
Dave in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
If you put a F-100 steering box in your Model A, the center of travel of the box is not with the wheels pointed straight ahead. That is the only reason I know of to use an adjustable drag link. With stock Model A parts in good condition the adjustable drag link should not be needed.
Nkaminar, I have an adjustable drag link in my ‘31 for the exact reason you state. Thanks for sharing that thought. Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 01:16 PM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MN View Post
Nkaminar, I have an adjustable drag link in my ‘31 for the exact reason you state. Thanks for sharing that thought. Good Day!
Dave, is the square end on the F100 sector what is making the steering wheel alignment off? If so, I wonder why the F100 box sector cannot be machined with the square oriented in the right location??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 03-15-2024, 05:17 PM   #10
nkaminar

Brent, The steering column for the F-100 box, as used in the vehicles they were designed for, has a different angle. I think it was tilted down more. This puts the pitman arm at an angle that is not straight up and down, like the Model A box.

The box could probably be modified but the easy way is just to use the adjustable drag link. I have never seen or heard of the box being modified. An aftermarket pitman arm with the correct orientation would be the way to go, if you wanted to spend the money.
Old 03-15-2024, 05:56 PM   #11
Keith True

I think what Brent is getting at is that the F 1 steering box sector shaft is not square as the A is,and starts out round.It is then machined to the square shape for the A.It can be machined off center very easily.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 10:34 PM   #12
Hitman

Quote:
I fielded a phone call from someone asking about needing an adjustable drag link. I gave him my opinion that an adjustable drag link was a bandaid for a different problem that should be addressed, but I don't think he agreed with me. I explained that the only reason why the steering wheel would be off-set would be either a bent Drag Link, a bent Steering Arm, or the Drag Link internals (Spring, Ball Seat, etc.) is made/installed incorrectly causing the ball-to-ball distance to be off just enough. So to satisfy my curiosity since I may be overlooking else related to the Steering Shaft, Sector or Worm, is there anything else someone else has experienced that has caused a mis-aligned steering wheel??
I agree. I think the adjustable drag link is the bolt on, parts replacement solution that is common these days.

There’s nothing wrong with wanting the better ratio of an F100 box, or having the steering wheel at the perfect placement, but people want that in a weekend. They don’t want to spend the days or weeks solving the issue through machining or other complex methods.

It’s similar to the hydraulic brake solution. Hydraulics can solve all of your problems. In reality they just remove most of the steps in rebuilding a mechanical brake system.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 12:05 AM   #13
steve hackel

Does anyone have information on any supplier that offers the adjustable drag link
for the A' steering box , or the F-100 box ?
steve hackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 03:47 AM   #14
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve hackel View Post
Does anyone have information on any supplier that offers the adjustable drag link
for the A' steering box , or the F-100 box ?
Dave Delmue
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 06:50 AM   #15
nkaminar

My apologies. It does look like the F-100 box has splines that are machined to square for the Model A pitman arm. So why are they not machined correctly?

Last edited by nkaminar; 03-16-2024 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-16-2024, 10:35 AM   #16
Dave in MN

Quote:
Dave, is the square end on the F100 sector what is making the steering wheel alignment off? If so, I wonder why the F100 box sector cannot be machined with the square oriented in the right location??
I ordered a modified steering box from Randy Gross and never analyzed why it was not centered. I installed a “Moog” adjuster on the drag link
to make the correction. I installed the part just prior to starting my road trip last summer.
Having the sector centered made the driving much more pleasant.
Good Day!

Last edited by Dave in MN; 03-19-2024 at 10:43 AM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 03:24 PM   #17
wuga

I too am running one of Randy's boxes with 16" wheels. When I went to do an alignment, I found both ends of the tie rod were right hand threads. As well, I could not center my Pitman arm. I decided to fix both problems. I contacted Snyders and found they did not sell an adjustable drag link. I proceeded to order parts for two complete tie rods with left/right threads. I cut one shaft down to the right length for a drag link and had the cut end rethreaded for right thread. I now have complete control of any adjustments in the steering.
Warren
wuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 06:27 PM   #18
Pete

If you are talking about a stock model A, there is no reason for an adjustable drag link unless something is bent.

If you are modifying the steering in ANY manner, you just have to engineer everything so it is in proper alignment. The gears must be centered. The engineer that designed that steering box system had an IQ that matched his age.
There are a million combinations of available parts that will work and it is only basic rocket science so even a cave man can figure it out.

In the case of the F100 pitman arm, it has a master spline that controls where it can be installed on the shaft. If you file this spline tooth away with a small file, the arm can be installed at any orientation in small enough increments to center the steering.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 10:27 PM   #19
Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
If you are talking about a stock model A, there is no reason for an adjustable drag link unless something is bent.

If you are modifying the steering in ANY manner, you just have to engineer everything so it is in proper alignment. The gears must be centered. The engineer that designed that steering box system had an IQ that matched his age.
There are a million combinations of available parts that will work and it is only basic rocket science so even a cave man can figure it out.

In the case of the F100 pitman arm, it has a master spline that controls where it can be installed on the shaft. If you file this spline tooth away with a small file, the arm can be installed at any orientation in small enough increments to center the steering.
This is highly detailed and correct. The adjustable link is not necessary.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 07:34 AM   #20
Keith True

The splines on the original F 1 do not come into play on the A conversion.They are machined off to make the sector shaft square to use the A pitman arm.Only one mounting option at that point.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote