Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-22-2015, 10:36 AM   #1
gridleak

Default ethanol gas laws

Has there been a change in the ethanol gas laws?
I went to buy gas at a Conoco station here in Montana which previously sold only ethanol free gas at regular gas prices. Now I find that their regular gas has ethanol and their ethanol free gas is called special premium and sells for 40 cents more per gallon. I was told by the attendant that this was mandated by law. What Goes?
gridleak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 10:44 AM   #2
jthomas6

Default Re: ethanol gas laws

I don't know about new laws, but for several years, I've been paying more for ethanol free gas every place I go around here.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:47 AM   #3
Jeff/Illinois

I saw in the paper last week that The Govt. OK'ed raising E-10 to E-15. Yuck.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:50 AM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

I usually have to pay from 75 cents to a dollar more per gallon for real gas.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:30 PM   #5
jrelliott

With the price of oil being low now is it even profitable for ethanol to compete with oil. Know it is mandated by the government to have ethanol in the gas, but would think the cost of producing ethanol would be prohibitive. Hopefully the ethanol producers will no longer have a market.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:58 PM   #6
Mikeinnj

Lucky you can get ethanol free gas. It is not available any place in New Jersey.

With the lower gas prices will we ever see a price drop on motor oil ?

Last edited by Mikeinnj; 12-22-2015 at 01:59 PM. Reason: sp.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 02:38 PM   #7
H. L. Chauvin

Today's Magical Corn Power:

Wal-Mart even has to provide twice as many battery operated shopping carts to assist the increase in double wide behind Americans who get twice as fat on Corn Syrup sweeteners today ......... as opposed to former more digestible cane sugar and beet sugar sweeteners used when everybody was slim and fit years ago.

Doctors are mopping up on mechanical knee and mechanical hip replacements for people wearing an extra 50 Corn Syrup generated pounds.

Clothing manufacturers are mopping up making musical whistling britches we can hear while shopping among those walking with Corn Syrup related oversized thighs.

Non-ethanol gas appears to be a double edged sword jabbed into Model A owners and others in that higher price non-ethanol gas means more income received for the oil lobbyist, and more Government income received because of more "taxes" applied to the higher non-ethanol gas prices ........... all paid by guess who?

As Model A seniors, we think we know better because we have the "Good Old Days" for comparison ..... the younger generation does not gripe as much because they never knew our "Good Old Days" ........ but ........ don't tell them ....... their griping days are right around the corner. LOL
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 02:55 PM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
I saw in the paper last week that The Govt. OK'ed raising E-10 to E-15. Yuck.
http://www.ethanolrfa.org/resources/blends/e15/
Old 12-22-2015, 04:10 PM   #9
mshmodela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Any most cars today will not run on E85... I guess the Farm Lobby has more balls than the oil Lobby... Farm for food and feed, not energy:

Here's what one US Senator from my state wrote me:

Dear Mr. _____:

Thank you for contacting me about the Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS).

The RFS ensures that transportation fuel sold in the U.S. contains a minimum volume of renewable fuels. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) develops these minimum levels in regulations created in consultation with industry stakeholders. The program was initially put in place by the Energy Policy Act of 2005, and then expanded in 2007 to include diesel fuel and expand the categories of renewables.

The EPA proposed changing the 2014 target levels for ethanol, biodiesel, and advanced biofuels under the RFS program. The proposal would reduce the amount of renewable fuels in the fuel supply by almost 3 billion gallons compared to the goals originally set by the RFS.

I signed a bipartisan letter urging the EPA and President Obama to reconsider changes to the RFS. The RFS has reduced oil imports, been good for farmers, and contributed to lower gas prices. The proposed change would negatively impact prices and the jobs of renewable fuel producers, including the six ethanol production facilities in Ohio that produce 478 million gallons of ethanol each year.

I will continue to monitor proposed changes to the RFS and work to ensure its continued success. Thank you again for being in touch with me.

Sincerely,

Sherrod Brown
United States Senator

I sent this back:

Hon. Sen. Brown,

Thank you for your response but the price of corn has help the farmers at the expence of the poor and middle class in terms of higher food prices. How convient the Government does not include food and fuel in its calculation of inflation.

We need corn for human and animal feed to lower food prices. I love farmers but when the price of a dozen eggs has gone from $0.67 a dozen to $3 and $4 a dozen this hurts familes.

...With the benefits of American oil production to the point of exportation, there is no cost benefit to both the consumer and the produce by using ethanol. Now is the time to use our oil and or CNG to fuel our vehicals.

Regards,

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:41 PM   #10
mhsprecher

Good for you, Mike. We all need to do this. Fwiw, Henry Ford advocated switching from gasoline to ethanol to help the farmers and get away from dependence on oil.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:56 PM   #11
fastroadster

We can't even get REAL gas in California...............
fastroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:56 PM   #12
H. L. Chauvin

Probably will not be long ....... just wait for the new 85% "Corn Ethanol" in a couple of years.

Then, Bert's, Bratton's and Snyder's will soon be offering Model A Egg Baskets to attach to our Model A exhaust pipes to catch the eggs our Model A's are laying because of increased Model A Corn consumption.

Also, probably new Model A ignition timing devices will be offered to better adjust our Mode A "Cackling" with our spark levers.

Try to think (+) positive like our Model A batteries.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:59 PM   #13
Jwilli

In Ga I pay 60 cents more per gal for Non ethanol gas.
Jwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:19 PM   #14
Tom Wesenberg

There you go Mike.........trying to confuse government workers with common sense.

BTW in the early 70's when gas jumped (almost overnight) from 30 cents to 75 cents, and then up and up and up until it was over $2.00 I could still buy a quart of oil for $.50, and it took a couple years before it also increased like gasoline. Now that a barrel of oil has fallen, I don't expect to see the price of a quart of oil drop.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:21 PM   #15
CarlG

Ethanol flavored gasoline has been outlawed in Alaska.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:39 PM   #16
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
Ethanol flavored gasoline has been outlawed in Alaska.
Please send some of that common sense to the lower 48.

I wonder if Hawaii has to put up with crap gas?
Old 12-22-2015, 05:42 PM   #17
Jeff/Illinois

Just bought a 2016 Ford Escape. Owner's manual says "if" you get E-85 fuel for your car, to start adding regular gasoline ASAP until it is gone, then do not try to use any E-85 at all.

Yeah, good stuff all right
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 06:58 PM   #18
40 Deluxe

If/when ethanol-free gas is no longer available here in Flagstaff, I will have to set up my own ethanol removal system. It's quite simple: Just get a container (5-20 gallons-maybe an old 15 gallon oil drum) that has a drain with an open/close valve. Mount on a stand high enough to get a 5 gallon gas can under it. First pour in a gallon of water for every five gallons of ethanol gas. Stir or shake and then let stand for several hours or longer. The water will absorb the ethanol out of the gas and settle to the bottom. Simply drain off this slop and you're left with pure gas, although lower octane because the refineries start with 83 or so octane gas and count on the ethanol to raise the octane to 87 (86, even 85 at high altitudes). This should work in my '40 at 6,000-7,000 ft. If you need higher octane, start with ethanol premium. This is 87 octane regular gas with ethanol added to make 92 octane.
If a person or a club wanted to get creative and has the money, get a pickup bed mounted supply tank like contractors use (200-250 gallons) with an electric pump and dispensing nozzle. They have drain plugs in the bottom corner to drain off the water and even meters to record gallons pumped. Should work great for the chase truck on a tour! Ethanol free gas at your fingertips! Fill it at the end of the day and let settle overnight.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:21 PM   #19
40 Deluxe

P.S. Northern Tool and Equipment website has a great selection of transfer tanks (most are 60-90 gallons). However, I don't know the legalities of using them for gasoline transport in a pickup bed. The website says for Diesel use-got to cover themselves, I imagine. If nothing else I suppose when on a tour one could wait to fill the tank in the evening, top off everybody's car in the morning then leave the nurse tank empty all day.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 05:40 AM   #20
Bruce of MN

I would be careful about electrical devices for handling gasoline. The code is very strict about static electricity and explosion proof motors & fittings.
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote