Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-06-2023, 05:28 PM   #1
blownford

Default Stromberg 97

Before I fall victim to a scam, what am I missing here:

If I go online to say Speedway a new Stromberg 97 is $500+

If I go on eBay and search Stromberg 97 there are lots of them listed as new, free shipping and they are $138 - $150.

What the heck.
blownford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 06:21 PM   #2
Pete

Default Re: Stromberg 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownford View Post
Before I fall victim to a scam, what am I missing here:

If I go online to say Speedway a new Stromberg 97 is $500+

If I go on eBay and search Stromberg 97 there are lots of them listed as new, free shipping and they are $138 - $150.

What the heck.
The ones at Speedway are a totally different carb from the original used on early Ford's. Speedway's are claimed to flow over 300 CFM.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 07:03 PM   #3
tubman

The "eBay carbs" are a conumdrum. People have had both excellent and terrible results with the Chinese reproductions. Until someone with the requisite knowledge and experience "bites the bullet" and actually buys one of these, the jury is still out. (I was going to get one and "take one for the team" until I realized that I had nothing to run it on).

Buy one and try it; if you have problems, come back here, post the results and ask questions. There are a lot of guys on this forum that can really help, so we may be able to make a good decision about these. They also make ersatz 390 cfm Holley 4BBLS that I personally would like to evaluate..

The "jury is already in" on the Speedwaay "9Super7"'s; they have been found guilty.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 11:16 PM   #4
itslow

How much money are you willing to gamble and potentially waste?

The copies - including those from Speedway - will be a gamble. I wouldn't be surprised if the ones on eBay come from the same factory as the Speedway ones.

The official Strombergs (new from England) seem to be a sure thing - but also $500+ each.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 12:53 AM   #5
koates

Only buy the "GENUINE"Stromberg made in ENGLAND and in the old style design box. These are the 97 type and come in various finishes and types with a comprehensive instruction manual and spare parts listing. They are very high quality and work perfectly right out of the box. Service and spare parts are available and all parts are interchangeable with the original 97s. I have used several of these on 1934-36 Ford V8s and they are excellent quality, even better than the originals. They are not cheap at $500 to $600 each. Find the factory website. Buying any of the others listed on ebay is just a crap shoot. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 01:08 AM   #6
koates

You will also notice that the cheap ebay 97 reproductions have been assembled with mostly Phillips head screws. The GENUINE Strombergs have all slotted head screws as the originals had. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 07:12 AM   #7
Jack E/NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
You will also notice that the cheap ebay 97 reproductions have been assembled with mostly Phillips head screws. The GENUINE Strombergs have all slotted head screws as the originals had. Regards, Kevin.

Yeah, I noticed that too. The genuines should get with the program and use phillips heads too.
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 08:30 AM   #8
cas3

Get a used 97 and send it to uncle max
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 08:56 AM   #9
itslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
Get a used 97 and send it to uncle max
If you're someone who has a stash of original Strombergs, that's indeed an option.

However, if you're not, then you need to consider the overall cost of purchasing a core carburetor (or more likely, a couple cores), plus the base rebuild price, plus any additional costs for parts that need to be replaced or repaired. At that point, the cost of rebuilding an original vs. buying one of the new ones becomes pretty close.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 09:46 AM   #10
nickthebandit

I believe that Uncle Max has carburetors that he would re-build and send to you. If you don't have a core carburetor, Uncle Max can probably supply one. Buying a used Stromberg 97 can be more of a problem than not. It will usually take more than 1 used Stromberg 97 to get enough good parts to re-build one.
nickthebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 10:02 AM   #11
tubman

I'm having enough trouble finding decent 94's and small base Rochesters, let alone 97's.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 12:24 PM   #12
drolston

I am running three of the chrome Speedway Super 97's, but it took a while to get things right. One came with a casting flaw with one primary fuel passage completely blocked. They replaced that one. The float settings on all three were way off, and in making adjustments, I disturbed the seal on one float, which sank. I cleaned up the edges of all throttle plates and centered them to eliminate sticking. I replaced all three accelerator pump plungers. I replaced all three float valves with the Grosse ball type.

With that done, all has been well for four years. Good idle, good acceleration, decent mileage. If I had it to do again, I would forego the chrome and go with the Stromberg brand.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 01:44 PM   #13
blownford

Thanks..... pretty much what I expected. What kind of baffles me is how they can use the Stromberg 97 and Speedway 9Super7 names in their listings. Didn't the "new" Stromberg Co register the names?

I'm going with the real Stromberg Big97.

Tubman, I had a '56 Ford F100 with a 302 and the Holley 390 4 bbl, excellent carburetor.

I'll include a picture of some of my old 94 and 97 junk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0067.jpg (28.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0069.jpg (49.4 KB, 37 views)
blownford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 02:36 PM   #14
Ol' Ron

I quit running Stromburgs an 94 Holleys for the 2gc and Chevy distributor. Runs great gets good mileage and NO PROBLEMS.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 07:45 PM   #15
aussie merc

the ebay carbs are copies and there are several different sources out there Like all copies some are good some not so. Friend of mine runs these on everything he is involved with and has nothing but success so go figure i believe its all about how you set them up .this pullout the box and just bolt on doesn't work for me as ive have box failures just open them up do basic checks [float level etc ] and they seem to work well
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 01:47 PM   #16
hombres ruin

Only genuine strongberg carbs, i wouldn’t risk it or say it’s worth it to put garbage on your ride. When it comes to performance and hassle free operation only Genuine 97s . I haven’t had one issue with them since installation
Old 07-10-2023, 02:29 PM   #17
dude

I have rebuilt Large 97's. Arrow and D base , these have had emotion tubes removed and clean . jetted stock . $210,00 + s/h .