Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
51f1truck

Default 8BA mechanical fuel pump problem

I installed a new fuel pump from MAC's about 3 months ago on my '52 8BA 239 ci flathead. After installation, the engine ran like a champ starting well and running well. Took it out for a drive today and only made it out of the driveway. After a few hours or work, I found that there was no fuel pressure.

I took off the pump and inspected the components. The main diaphragm is fine. It appears that the one way valves are leaking by. I can blow air from the inlet to the carb (the way gas is suppose to flow) but also from the carb to the inlet (not good).

Has anyone else experienced pump problems like this? How did you solve it? Is there a better source for a new pump?

I do not want to install an electric pump at this time. My gas is very clean since I also installed a new tank and fuel lines during the restoration. The glass fuel bowl showed crystal clear gas.

Looking for some wisdom. I hate to have to replace a fuel pump every 3 months!

Thanks,
Fred
51f1truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #2
34flathead

Default Re: 8BA mechanical fuel pump problem

had the same problem with my 1st fuel pump on the new engine, purchased a new one for reds headers, and is running strong 12000 mi now, you just need to check the pressure as i did not, they put out 7 psi.
the mr.gasket fuel regulator is working for me.
rich
34flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
ken ct
BANNED

You guys dont get it,most if not all these new made pumps are comming from CHINA,there garbage.Diafram spring is too strong,valves made out of some kind of rubber coated material,valves that are pressed in and cannot be replaced end of rant. I have in stock old original pumps that i rebuild using original componants and good fresh made diaphrams and valves that are replaceable.Dont want your china made pump as a core so core charge of $10 is included in price, $75 outrite plus an $8 shipping chg.They also come with a paper filter in the bowl and gasket. ken ct. Also regulator is NOT needed for these pumps as pressure is within ford specs.of 3#.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
jdl

Send a message via ICQ to jdl

The Carter fuel pumps are still made in the USA. # M 826 single pump, availble at Napa and others. I have not used one of these so you guys be the judge, some one may be running one of these and will chime in.
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:57 PM   #5
ford1

if your pump is the old style that is put together with screws you can take it apart to get to the buttons, there should be a little spring for each button to help keep them closed, use a piece of flat glass and a dab of fine rubbing compound on each button, lay it on the glass, hold it down with your finger while you make figure 8's on the glass to smooth out the face of each button, when smooth clean and reinstall, it doesnt take much to hold one open and let the fuel flow past
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:59 PM   #6
ken ct
BANNED

Ford1 .Your thinking of the old style of buttons used in 34-36 pumps. He has a glass bowl pump which the waffers and spring are encased in a small brass houseing and dont come apart.What your saying is impossible to do on any pump after late 36 ones. ken ct. FYI
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:00 PM   #7
34flathead

i know the gal at reds headers said they were U.S.A. made not from china, thats why i did not bother with any other vendor.
rich
34flathead is offline   Reply With Quote