Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
Tommy Gun

Default Starting a 1956 Ford pickup

Hello, My dad has a 1956 Ford pickup in original condition. It hasn't ran in probably 20 years. It's a straight 6. We were going to try and start it and see if she'll run.

Here's the game plan: Change oil, new plugs and wires, rebuild or clean the carb, clean the gas tank and lines...then freash gas, hand crank the motor prior to starting and a new battery.

My questio is are there any other tricks to starting an engine for the first time in 20 years? I tried a search, but couldn't come up with anything.

I don't think it's stuck. My dad thinks the truck is 12 volt......which most were starting in 1956 right?

Thanks for your help! The plan is to get it running, change all the driveline fluids, replace the brake system, new tires and exhaust then drive it the way it is. It'll probably need new wiring at some point in the near future.

It's red and pretty solid. I'll snap a few pictures this weekend so you can see.

Thanks for your help fella's!!!!
Tommy Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
joe plumber

Default Re: Starting a 1956 Ford pickup

Sounds like you are on the right track 56 trucks were 12 volts .Make sure you have a battery charger handy ,might need it .Keep plugging away at it .Good luck .
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
ford1

leave all the plugs out, squirt a little oil in each cylinder and then use the starter to turn it over, turn it over for 5 seconds, then wait 5 mins and do it again, dont want to burn the starter up, after 20 yrs i bet the fuel pump is bad, after you get oil pressure install plugs and drop a half oz of fuel down the carb, see if it starts, may have to do that a few times till the fuel pump gets primed and fills the carb, now is the time to rebuild all wheel cylinders and the master cylinder, it has set to long to take a chance of one of them blowing out, i would replace all the brake lines, replace all rubber fuel lines with new, the old style rubber lines dont like the new fuel, really check all the brake componets good, dont need an accident to ruin your new toy
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

Let us know the outcome if you get it started. I would have had the radiator rodded out and flush the block to get the scale out of the block. Make ssure the water pump is in good shape. Lots of good fun and enjoy the time together with your dad.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:29 PM   #5
Daves55Sedan

Yes the 56 is 12 volts. That would be a 223 I block 6 cyl probably has a little Holley 1904 1 bbl carb on it. I would definitely rebuild it before starting but do NOT use the new fuel inlet fitting and needle that comes in the kit. Just clean your old one and re-install it. If you use the new fuel inlet fitting, you will ultimately be installing a fuel pressure regulator to keep the carb from flooding out.
There is a lot of discussion about this on FORDSIX.com. Look for the vintage six forums in the board index. Most of the stuff you will find in that forum is people messing around with 223's. I am a member there also
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:31 PM   #6
Daves55Sedan

Forgot to mention that you should prime the carb before attempting to start. When ready to start, push the gas pedal down and release then turn the key. If you turn the key before pushing the pedal down you will probably always have trouble starting it
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
Ole Don

Before trying to turn it over with the starter, remove the rocker cover, and any valve that is closed, press down with a hammer handle to make sure its not stuck. Roll the motor over with a socket on the front nut, then check the other valves. If they all go up and down, do like it says above.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote