Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-28-2016, 08:50 PM   #1
Kpar

Default 33 Fordor Wiring

Hi all, Some time back i purchased a full wiring harness and following some problems decided to install it. First of all I developed a dead short on the lighting circuit, blew heaps of fuses. Out came the multi-meter and proceeded to find the fault. The biggest problem was trying to trace the wires as the color kept changing even over a small distance. Some were twisted together & some soldered, with no insulation. Anyway I removed the light switch and tested each connection with 6 Volt power found a short in the left cowl light and one somewhere in the wires to the rear lights. Finally found it had been clamped under the R/hand back shocky.
Time to install the new harness before a meltdown.
First question, is there a right or a left hand drive harness ?
The reason I asked was I had some trouble making ends meet and as can be seen from the photos not as neat as I expected.
A long winded post but would like some feedback.
We Barners have a lot of fun don't we.

Kpar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0084.jpg (64.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0085.jpg (63.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0086.jpg (53.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0087.jpg (54.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0089.jpg (86.2 KB, 25 views)
Kpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:18 PM   #2
Brian

Default Re: 33 Fordor Wiring

RHD main loom is different; some wires to gauges etc are longer, but the lighting loom is the same, left hand drive or right. Ajays in Enzed should be able to furnish what you need.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:44 AM   #3
koates

Keith, There is certainly a difference between wiring looms on LHD and RHD 33-34 Fords. Take the firewall wiring hole and grommet as a reference point for measuring the lengths of the harness sections. The under dash section is longer as it has to reach further to the instruments and ignition switch on a RHD car. On the engine side of the firewall the harness has to reach across to the right side much further to the headlight switch and the starter switch on the steering box than on a LHD car. The tail light harness runs down the right side chassis rail where as on a LHD car the tail harness runs down the left side chassis rail. Front lighting harness is in the right side chassis rail on a RHD car. If you try to fit a LHD harness it will be short under the dash and across to the headlight switch at the bottom of the steering column. RHD braided wiring harness are made here in Melbourne. You cant just throw a wiring harness into a car and hope for the best result. Every inch of that harness has to be fitted and routed very carefully so that will not get into any trouble on sharp edges, moving parts, hot parts, being jammed between components, etc. PM me or ring me. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:16 AM   #4
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Kpar I am doing a Left hand head light loom from Macs now into a right hand car so far all fits ,I have done a dash loom in the past and the only change I made was to extend the hot wire of the starter but I see you have taken care of that with the cut out switch .Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:47 AM   #5
Kpar

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Looks like I didn't do my homework before purchasing the harness.
However I'll get away with the under dash problems I'll just have to sort out some issues with the light wires coming out of the switch, it's going to be a pain to bend the harness enough to reach back to the brake switch. All in all it's going to be a lot safer that what I had before.
I'm not sure I want to spend any more money just to get the correct harness.
You learn something every day with these flatheads.
Kpar
Kpar is offline   Reply With Quote