Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-28-2016, 02:47 PM   #1
melisa

Default 38 ford construction

does anyone publish a 1938 ford construction manual (illustrated)? Tks Melisa
melisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:50 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 38 ford construction

Excuse my ignorance, what is a Ford construction manual?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:58 PM   #3
melisa

It is a book that shows how the car was built(constructed). Melisa

it's a book that shows how the car was built
Old 04-28-2016, 03:16 PM   #4
melisa

if your trying to make fun of a junior member it is in poor taste. I came here for help! Wasn't sure if you would understand IPB(illustrated parts breakdown).
Old 04-28-2016, 03:26 PM   #5
petehoovie

Buy this > http://www.ebay.com/itm/1928-1948-Gr...lRSNi0&vxp=mtr

And this > https://www.earlyfordv8.org/Shop.cfm?id=9&pid=2

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 04-28-2016 at 03:35 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:38 PM   #6
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

A 37-38 Body Parts list reprint is available from Vendors.
Also available is a 38-41 chassis parts list book - both very handy.
All the major panels would arrive at an assembly plant.
The cars themselves were then built ( welded together ) using a jig.
A different jig was usually required for each type- eg: sedan ,coupe ,convertible.
Google Ford assembly plants in the 30's - see what comes up.
Chris.NZ.

Last edited by swoopNZ; 04-28-2016 at 03:59 PM.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:39 PM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by melisa View Post
if your trying to make fun of a junior member it is in poor taste. I came here for help! Wasn't sure if you would understand IPB(illustrated parts breakdown).
I have never heard that term in my life. That is a strange response from someone asking for help!! But whatever, I have heard of the Illustrated Parts Breakdown and I do own a 38. Yes, that does exist, I will have to find the reference.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:43 PM   #8
V8COOPMAN

GM sure had 'em, at the least in the '50s thru the early '70s.......they were called "Assembly Manuals". Hundreds of pages with every single imaginable, minute assembly and equipment detail for each, individual model and year. Any variance or option available was fully depicted. We had 'em back when we were restoring mid-year Corvettes. Not sure I've ever come-across something so detailed for old Fords, though. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:44 PM   #9
rotorwrench

You will see this term if you work on some cars made in the 60s and early 70s but not so much in the 30s. FoMoCo publications are short on the material you find in the later era. I would suggest you check out one of these books: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/Shop.cfm?id=9&pid=2
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:55 PM   #10
JSeery
Member Emeritus

These are the books I have: The illustration I scanned is typical of the Body Parts Book. The illustrations in the Chassis Parts List is similar to the ones in the Green Book (if your familiar with it).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 38 Book.jpg (42.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 38 Book 2.jpg (37.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 38 Book 3.jpg (38.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 04-28-2016, 03:56 PM   #11
Charlie Stephens

Melisa,

I doubt there was any bad intent on JSeery’s part. The unfortunate part of the Internet is that sometimes things get lost when not talking face to face. I also have the same question but will try to be more tactful. When I hear “construction manual” I think of sheet metal body panels and how subassemblies went together on the assembly line and that is probably not what you are looking for. Illustrated parts breakdown makes me think of illustrations showing how pieces go together for a subassembly (like the transmission, rear end, etc.). You can find illustrated parts breakdowns at http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_home.htm . The unfortunate thing about these illustrations (as well as the book recommended in Post #5) is that they show how things work and what you need to maintain a car but are not really what you need for a good restoration. The book in Post #5 is heavy on part numbers and short on illustrations. Be sure to look at a copy before you buy it. The book I would recommend is the Restoration Guidelines from the Early Ford V8 Club: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/Shop.cfm?id=18&pid=2

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:58 PM   #12
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
GM sure had 'em, at the least in the '50s thru the early '70s.......they were called "Assembly Manuals". Hundreds of pages with every single imaginable, minute assembly and equipment detail for each, individual model and year. Any variance or option available was fully depicted. We had 'em back when we were restoring mid-year Corvettes. Not sure I've ever come-across something so detailed for old Fords, though. DD
I have never heard of them or the term, but then I work on mostly Ford. Now that I think about it, only Fords! They certainly sound useful.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:02 PM   #13
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I'm a big Green Book fan, but if you are wanting specific 38 parts as they left the factory, it is not very reliable. It is geared toward dealer expectable replacement parts.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:14 PM   #14
grovesmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
I'm a big Green Book fan, but if you are wanting specific 38 parts as they left the factory, it is not very reliable. It is geared toward dealer expectable replacement parts.
Think they are asking for a shop manual, its been rough for me transitioning from working on 92-96 Honda preludes where there is a book dedicated just to that specific model within a 5 year run of hondas that's bigger than the green Bible and significant supplement manuals detailing changes within the same model run. They may not realize needing multiple books and research and still all questions may not have a easy answer.

That said, ID love an all encompassing 35-37 1/2 ton pickup only shop manual detailing every single part, how to test those parts, tolerances and torque specs, why hasn't that happened?

Last edited by grovesmr; 04-28-2016 at 04:28 PM.
grovesmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:33 PM   #15
melisa

Thanks to all for the great responses. I have three 1938 ford service manuals, mostly engine related stuff, The car I bought is in total pieces, I didn't take it apart but plan to put it back together. The green book looks like my best choice for doing it correctly. I have done two Model A's one 1928 tudor and a 1929 roadster pickup. Got most of info from sales catalogs on how to put them together but found very few items for sale for 1938 special coupes. Thank You again for the input. Melisa
Old 04-28-2016, 04:34 PM   #16
Charlie Stephens

You might also want to check out (800) 458-2734, http://www.faxonautoliterature.com and see what they have. Just be sure to start with the one from the Early Ford V8 Club I referred to earlier: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/Shop.cfm?id=18&pid=2. I think the green book (commonly called "The Green Bible) would be a poor choice to start with with.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:47 PM   #17
fordv8j

The 38 restoration book from the v8club,written by Gary Mallast,was a great help while restoring our 38 rumble seat conv. it has lots of pictures, and a lot of info...we also have a 38 dlx coupe we have been driving 51 years
fordv8j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:49 PM   #18
grovesmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by melisa View Post
Thanks to all for the great responses. I have three 1938 ford service manuals, mostly engine related stuff, The car I bought is in total pieces, I didn't take it apart but plan to put it back together. The green book looks like my best choice for doing it correctly. I have done two Model A's one 1928 tudor and a 1929 roadster pickup. Got most of info from sales catalogs on how to put them together but found very few items for sale for 1938 special coupes. Thank You again for the input. Melisa
The green Bible leaves a lot to be desired. It's really just a glorified parts numbers list, you may luck out and get a parts diagram for what you need but in my case with a 36pickup I have no such thing. They cram in 20 years of cars in a book that's smaller than any modern service manual for a single year of a single model. It is nice to have but unless you know what you're looking for just to get a part number it's not going to be much help
grovesmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:19 PM   #19
DD931

There may not be one book that has everything you want in it. I would certainly start with the V8 Club book - Gary Mallast is "the" expert - and then get a Green Book. From there, the books mentioned in Post #10 are also very valuable. Then, search the Early V8 Club member list (you have to be a member to get one) for someone not too far away from you who has a car like yours - then visit him/her and take a lot of pictures!! Good luck!!
DD931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:21 PM   #20
rotorwrench

The 38 thru 41 chassis parts book is more specific for parts. It's also a must if you have a 39 thru 41 Mercury. The green bible is lacking on the Mercury stuff and the part numbers will only be the latest that was available in 1941. If you can find the original 1938 only book, it will give the OEM numbers thru 1938 publication but none of the later replacement part numbers so that's why I recommend the 38 thru 41 book. You can never have too many Ford books.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote