Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-05-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
mshmodela

Default Radiator Cap

I took my model A for a second drive and after about a 10min warm up, I drove and noticed some spray on the windshield, so I came quickly home and noticed what appeared is the coolant coming from the top of the cap, splashing long the hood and down... It hit some of the inside of the engine but did not see any leaks... On one of my test starts a bit of coolant came down the overflow tube but not this time. I see no other places where coolant was dripping after I turned off the engine and looked (wondering it something let go in the coolant loop... appears not...)

Question: How full should the radiator be? (should the top hose from the pump be totally filled with coolant (no sign of air if one were to squeeze it?? looking for some test etc. to see where I'm at...)

So just over heating or? My coolant is a mix of anti-freeze at this point and it was about 45F outside.
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:21 PM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: Radiator Cap

the water will seek it owns level-replace the gasket under the cap and on the cap. 2 gaskets. also make sure that the drain tube in side the neck is not bent over unscrew cap you will see a tube.should be up above the baffle on top of radiator.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg over flow tube.jpg (53.1 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by Gary WA; 04-05-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Gary WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:24 PM   #3
BILL WILLIAMSON

Yo' radumator cap must not be sealing completely. IT MUST seal COMPLETELY! Sumtimes we gotta' be "inventive" to git it sealed, COMPLETELY. If it's a flip top one, they make different thicknesses of the flat sealing ring. You might even try an "O" ring. Harbor Freight has an assorted box of them, REALLY CHEEP!
Bill W.

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 04-05-2014 at 08:20 PM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #4
modelaer

I would let the fluid find its own level. At that time you may not be able to see the level by looking under the cap. So simply squeeze the upper hose and if you hear sloshing you have enough fluid. Regular antifreeze under use may foam-up and get pushed out also.
Pete
modelaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:45 PM   #5
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Yo' radumator cap must hot be sealing completely. IT MUST seal COMPLETELY! Sumtimes we gotta' be "inventive" to git it sealed, COMPLETELY. If it's a flip top one, they make different thicknesses of the flat sealing ring. You might even try an "O" ring. Harbor Freight has an assorted box of them, REALLY CHEEP!
Bill W.
On the "flip top" caps (Quail & Motometer), if the regular washers do not seal completely, try using one of the brass washers made to go around the gas gauge under the washer. Sometimes a little gasket sealant will help as well. As Bill said, "Sometimes we gotta be inventive".
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:59 PM   #6
mshmodela

Yo' I agree!!! Many thanks!! The cap has a little slop in the virtual direction, I would think it should be tight... So I think a new cap gasket it in order... Also discovered the quail cap has a thermometer in it... a simple test with a hair dry shows it works....
Old 04-05-2014, 05:12 PM   #7
mshmodela

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
On the "flip top" caps (Quail & Motometer), if the regular washers do not seal completely, try using one of the brass washers made to go around the gas gauge under the washer. Sometimes a little gasket sealant will help as well. As Bill said, "Sometimes we gotta be inventive".
Understood... so needs to be Good-N-Tight...

http://urbandictionary.com/define.ph...&defid=2903006

Thanks

Last edited by mshmodela; 04-05-2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:20 PM   #8
FL&WVMIKE

Your radiator cap is not sealing..........Period.
MIKE (mikeburch)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #9
mshmodela

OK, a trip to Sear Hardware, a few cuts to fit... we'll see...

http://mfordmodela.blogspot.com/2014...ap-gasket.html
Old 04-06-2014, 02:49 PM   #10
mshmodela

Well took my model A for another test drive. My hand cut gasket worked better... Still leaked a tad but I saw it as it happen... more adjustments needed... After the drive, I left it cool down a tad and dropped the motor oil... Gee my push mover is harder to change... It had two paper oil plug gaskets, I replaced both with a copper one --at this point appear to be holding fine... Oh and like Les Andrews book, I hit "F" full after putting in 4.5 quarts so I suspect that might imply little slug...
Old 04-06-2014, 02:54 PM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

Not neccessarily sludge, because 1/2 quart will stay in the dipper tray. When I change oil I just add 4 quarts and the dipstick will read half way between full and add.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:29 PM   #12
mshmodela

Update: I removed my quail cap and replaced the under gasket and the upper gasket...Much improved... I notice my last short drive I had the GAV opened one full turn so she was tab hot (not over headed give my short drive). This time the two new gaskets, and an oil change as well a the GAV opened a tad under 1/4 turn and she was cooler --a lot cooler (with 50/50 water/antifreeze). I got her up to 40 mph on our 3 mile city traffic trip. She does not pull and breaks evenly... Thanks for all the suggestions on starting her, she fire up after 2 cranks... Having fun in Cleveland

-Mike