Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-15-2022, 12:08 PM   #1
Ford Freak

Default '54-'56 power steering question.....

Hey guys! Sometime in the future I want to purchase a '54-'56 Ford.
Are the power steering units on these cars very troublesome?
If so, are they more trouble than they are worth?
Thanks - F F
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 01:14 PM   #2
Merc Cruzer

Default Re: '54-'56 power steering question.....

Same ones used on the 53', except a different crankshaft pulley and mounting bracket. I love the one on my 53' Merc. The main issue is the seals, correct that and my experience is that you are good to go for years.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...RhwPUGJ1GqEwv0
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 02:57 PM   #3
5851a

Ford stopped using it on full size cars in 65 but continue to use it up to the fox body era on intermediates and compacts. Even used it on Lincoln Versailles. Many complain about the system, I never saw their reasoning. I believe early Corvettes used a form of the same system. My last car with it was a 68 Montego, zero problems in the 205K miles I drove it. Drove nice, not twitchy just relaxing ride. There is 1 zerk fitting were the control valve hooks to the pitman arm often overlooked on grease jobs and 1 on the control valve that is often over lubed on a grease job. Best to do them yourself.

Last edited by 5851a; 12-15-2022 at 03:04 PM.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 03:45 PM   #4
Merc Cruzer

Same basic factory system in my wifes 1970 Cougar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cougar PS 1.jpg (34.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Cougar PS 4.jpg (69.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Cougar PS 6.jpg (67.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Cougar PS 7.jpg (57.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Cougar PS 9.jpg (64.3 KB, 31 views)
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 07:52 PM   #5
Daves55Sedan

Since the early '80's, I haven't had to do anything to mine except replace the pump-to-control vale pressure hose (which started to crack from old age) and started dripping a little puddle on the driveway. It's an everyday driver, so I doubt you'll find a system that trouble-free.
Once back in the '90s, I burned up an old PS pump on a '57 Ford during a non-stop 50-mile trip. When I went to leave, the engine wouldn't crank. IU got out two 9/16" wrenches and loosened the pump adjustable mount enough to pull the V-belt off the pump. Got back in the car and it started right up and I drove home with standard steering no problem. But that was an original pump never having been rebuilt and had a lot of miles on it.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 10:45 PM   #6
Ford Freak

Ok, thanks for the info guys! -F F
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 02:54 PM   #7
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Freak View Post
Hey guys! Sometime in the future I want to purchase a '54-'56 Ford.
Are the power steering units on these cars very troublesome?
If so, are they more trouble than they are worth?
Thanks - F F
Check this out https://www.hotrodders.com/threads/e...4-ford.526435/ Everything is under the dash, you keep the stock steering linkage and no pumps,hoses or brackets under the hood.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 05:58 PM   #8
KULTULZ

Question Re: '54-'56 power steering question.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB2 View Post

Check this out https://www.hotrodders.com/threads/e...4-ford.526435/ Everything is under the dash, you keep the stock steering linkage and no pumps,hoses or brackets under the hood.
I'm sorry Jeff, but I have to b!tch here,

Why in the world would someone want a SATURN electric steering system in an early FORD? I could maybe understand RESTO-MOD (and that would be MUST II rack retrofit).

- ONE BAD CASE of UGLY-

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ONE BAD CASE of UGLY.jpg (108.3 KB, 188 views)

Last edited by KULTULZ; 12-22-2022 at 01:36 AM. Reason: TO SHOW UGLY
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 11:58 AM   #9
KULTULZ

Red face Re: '54-'56 power steering question.....

- POST MOVED TO CORRECT THREAD -

TO WIT -

Just Wondering (As I Often Do) ...

Has anyone thought of what happens when an ELECTRIC ASSIST PS SYSTEM FAILS OR LOSES POWER?

I know on a FORD ELECT ASSIST RACK, when you have a service failure or lose power, there is no assist. It's AAA TIME.

And how much AMPERAGE does it take to operate a system properly? Think that 30A 6V GEN is going to do it?

At least with the BENDIX LINKAGE SYSTEM, you still have manual steering if there is a system failure.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
Old 12-22-2022, 03:11 PM   #10
evintho

Cool Re: '54-'56 power steering question.....

I'll try to answer your questions the best I can. It's funny because I was intrigued by an article that covered EPS installation into an older car and bought my '54 just because I wanted to try the swap for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Why in the world would someone want a SATURN electric steering system in an early FORD? I could maybe understand RESTO-MOD (and that would be MUST II rack retrofit).
Economics. I'm just cheap! The junkyard system can be had for under $200. Aftermarket is $1500+.

Quote:
Has anyone thought of what happens when an ELECTRIC ASSIST PS SYSTEM FAILS OR LOSES POWER?
If the electric system fails, it just reverts to manual steering. Kinda like if you lost a power steering belt on a hydraulic system.

Quote:
And how much AMPERAGE does it take to operate a system properly? Think that 30A 6V GEN is going to do it?
That's a good question! 6v may not do it however, the Saturn EPS is 12v and should probably only be used on a car with 12v conversion. My car has been converted to 12v.

Quote:
At least with the BENDIX LINKAGE SYSTEM, you still have manual steering if there is a system failure.
See my second point.
evintho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 03:47 PM   #11
5851a

What does a person do about shifter linkage and horn when going electric? I never read much into the articles about the retro fits as I didn't have any interest at the time.
Old 12-22-2022, 04:46 PM   #12
evintho

In my case, floor shift and Cal-Custom steering wheel w/pushbutton horn.
Old 12-22-2022, 05:55 PM   #13
5851a

Thanks for answering, it's as I suspected.
Old 12-23-2022, 08:58 AM   #14
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: '54-'56 power steering question.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by evintho View Post

I'll try to answer your questions the best I can. It's funny because I was intrigued by an article that covered EPS installation into an older car and bought my '54 just because I wanted to try the swap for myself.
I appreciate your explanation.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 01-17-2023, 05:41 PM   #15
delco1946

My 55 power steering system shuddered on tight turns when first acquired and leaked a bit (bound to happen after 60+ years), but after a rebuild it's been great. never even give it a thought anymore.

Also my Saturn was unstoppable, so.... *shrugs*
delco1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 06:52 PM   #16
KULTULZ

Question Re: '54-'56 power steering question.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by evintho View Post

If the electric system fails, it just reverts to manual steering. Kinda like if you lost a power steering belt on a hydraulic system.
Maybe so and maybe not. The elect rack on a late ESCAPE will freeze upon failure (very high steering effort - many crashes reported).

I understand the SATURN system is different in design. But a failure concerns me, especially if a woman experiences it.

While still using the 1957 OEM STR BOX, you will go back to STD STR with a hydraulic failure but you are now entering a second box of sorts that may increase the difficulty with steering effort.

Quote:
That's a good question! 6v may not do it however, the Saturn EPS is 12v and should probably only be used on a car with 12v conversion. My car has been converted to 12v.
Might be a good idea to find the AMP draw from the unit. The ESCAPE rack can demand up to 65A. Takes a big ALT to do that and power the car.

Sorry, I just don't understand why.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 01-18-2023, 10:43 PM   #17
miker98038

There’s been a lot of discussion about power steering lately. One caution I would add. Lots of parts are interchangeable but workable. The pumps, mounts, hoses, etc. But the drag link is different at least between the Thunderbird and the pass car. I don’t know the interchanges 54 and 55-56. But those drag links are hard to come by and not cheap, and they contain the valve that controls the ram. Take that into account when making your decisions about which way to go, and what you should buy to start with.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 11:57 PM   #18
evintho

Cool Re: '54-'56 power steering question.....

Quote:
Maybe so and maybe not. The elect rack on a late ESCAPE will freeze upon failure (very high steering effort - many crashes reported).

I understand the SATURN system is different in design. But a failure concerns me, especially if a woman experiences it.

While still using the 1957 OEM STR BOX, you will go back to STD STR with a hydraulic failure but you are now entering a second box of sorts that may increase the difficulty with steering effort.
The Saturn unit doesn't 'freeze' upon failure but it does become difficult to steer, much like manual steering. The 'Bruno' controller adjusts the firmness of the steering wheel. Adjusting the controller all the way to the right provides 'one finger' steering, while adjusting all the way to the left removes all power to the unit resulting in manual steering. Mine is set pretty much in the middle.

Also, no women will be driving my '54!

Quote:
Might be a good idea to find the AMP draw from the unit. The ESCAPE rack can demand up to 65A. Takes a big ALT to do that and power the car.
The Saturn unit is powered through a dedicated 80a fuse. I'm currently running a new PA Performance 130a 3G alternator. Should be good.

Quote:
Sorry, I just don't understand why.
No problem! I had heard about a Saturn conversion and wanted to see if I could make it work in a '54. I love doing that kind of stuff. On my roadster I made body panels from washing machines, used Land Rover trailing arms on my 8" and modified a Kia trailing arm into a panhard bar on the same 8" rear. I don't really care what manufacturer the piece is from, just as long as I can make it work.......cheaply!
Old 01-19-2023, 02:48 AM   #19
KULTULZ

Quote:
The Saturn unit doesn't 'freeze' upon failure but it does become difficult to steer, much like manual steering.
I didn't say anything about freezing on the SAT system. I mentioned that on a later style EPAS rack. Because of the steering ratios on the 56-59 FORD, unassisted steering should not be all that bad (although the MS used a larger dia. steering wheel). When one goes to later system (say MUST) with a tighter ratio you may/would find a problem.

Imagine a 98lb woman having one go unassisted. There is your freezing.

What you are trying to do belongs on another style form IMO. H.A.M.B. would be perfect and there are more there into what you are attempting to do.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 01-19-2023, 02:57 AM   #20
KULTULZ

Quote:
The Saturn unit doesn't 'freeze' upon failure but it does become difficult to steer, much like manual steering.
I didn't say anything about freezing. I mentioned that on a later style FORD EPAS rack. Because of the steering ratios on the 56-59 FORD, unassisted steering should not be all that bad (although the MS used a larger dia. steering wheel). When one goes to later system (say MUST) with a tighter ratio you would find a problem.

Imagine a 98lb woman having one go unassisted. There is your freezing.

What you are trying to do belongs on another style form. H.A.M.B. would be perfect and there are more there into what you are attempting to do.

- WHY IS IT ... -