Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-09-2011, 11:02 AM   #1
WillC

Default Who makes a 12v starter for the A

Who makes the 12V starter for the model A
WillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
Minn-Tex Lee

Default Re: Who makes a 12v starter for the A

I am currently using my standard starter with my 12 V system but would like to put a proper size resister in series with it to drop the voltage.
Does anyone know the in-rush cuttent and proper wattage?
Minn-Tex Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
CarlG

Most of the Model A Parts suppliers offer 12volt field coils that you can swap out in your stock starter.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
john in illinois

most parts houses also sell rebuilt starters for 12v. I bought the 12 volt coils and had the local starter/generator shop install them.
john in illinois is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:01 PM   #5
Herb Concord Ca

You will not regreat converstion your starter to 12V.
It saves wear and tear on the bendix, flywheel ring gear, and on the starter switch.
As John above says buy the 12V field coil and take it to a starter rebuilder to installed them if you don't want to do it yourself.
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
azmodela
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Concord Ca View Post
You will not regreat converstion your starter to 12V.
It saves wear and tear on the bendix, flywheel ring gear, and on the starter switch.
I didn't know wear and tear was an issue with 6 volt stuff (original)....
azmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:52 PM   #7
Keith True

I think he means converting the starter to 12 volt instead of putting 12 volts to the 6 volt starter.I have no problem with 6 volt stuff,but I have converted dozens of farm tractors to 12 volt over the years.The starter will hold up fine for the most part,it whips so fast it only gets worked for a couple of seconds.I have found it to be hard on the drives and ring gears.Unless you want to run certain things that need 12 volts,I just see no reason to convert.The old argument that you can always pick up an alternator on tour may be going by the wayside.The local parts stores,at least the chain ones,are not stocking anything that they do not sell X amount of per month.They will have it at the warehouse,and they will have it by three if you order by ten,and have it at seven in the morning if you order in the afternoon.The local Napa carries NO 80's Delcotron alternators now.Auto Zone and Advance are the same way.Up here our 80's cars have rusted away and have been scrapped,those parts are non-sellers now and they have no need to keep those parts on the shelf when they can get them so fast.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #8
1931 flamingo

Only advantage I can see in converting is that when you're stuck (dead batt) any body can give you a boost.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #9
Scott Owens

I have six volts in all of my A's and T's. No problem. I have a 41 Farmall tractor that was having ground issues for 6 volt. I put a 12 volt battery in it and it starts within one revolution.
Scott Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #10
Tim

You don't need to convert the starter unless you want to. The 6 volt windings work great, sometimes at the expense of a Bendix though. Buy a springless bendix and problem solved. Just for info though there is a difference and the 12 volt windings slow the starter action down so it is easier on the bendix and flywheel.

Tim
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:50 PM   #11
sturgis 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Only advantage I can see in converting is that when you're stuck (dead batt) any body can give you a boost.
Paul in CT

You can jump a six volt with 12 volts. Just make sure the lights and other six volt systems are shut off. It will not hurt the coil or points for a short period of time.

I never have cranked a Model "A" but my mother use to when the bendix was broke.
I guess you want to pull on the crank and never push.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.

Last edited by sturgis 39; 04-10-2011 at 07:02 AM.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:43 PM   #12
Jim Brierley

To answer your question, Five Star Parts in Corona, CA sells a brand new 12v starter for the A. It does not look like stock though, it is a smaller, high torque unit. 1-800-405-7827
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:16 AM   #13
Mel Gross

I sell both 6 and 12 volt rebuild starters. Call or email me if you need one. Mel Gross [email protected] 323-728-5712
Mel Gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:01 PM   #14
Jim Brierley

Mel does a lot of other things too, converts F-100 steering gears to fit the A, etc. He has a very good reputation.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:43 AM   #15
Dodge

Another trick I have used for years on T's and A's is to take an old bendix spring
and attach it right to were the battery cable attaches ( you have to grind it a little
thinner to get the nut back on) thin put a bolt thru the other end for the battery
cable. It seems to give the starter about 8 or 9 volts which turns the motor over
nicely.

Last edited by Dodge; 11-12-2011 at 03:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:36 AM   #16
Robert

My '30 roadster with 6V starter and "tractor" bendix has been cranking on 12V with no problems these past 20 odd years.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:33 PM   #17
Hotrodster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgis 39 View Post
You can jump a six volt with 12 volts. Just make sure the lights and other six volt systems are shut off. It will not hurt the coil or points for a short period of time.

I never have cranked a Model "A" but my mother use to when the bendix was broke.
I guess you want to pull on the crank and never push.

You can but it's very risky. I've had two six volt batteries explode over the years while jump starting with 12 volts in an emergency. It seems to happen more when it's very cold, possibly the 6 volt batteries were frozen.
Hotrodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #18
sturgis 39

I think Snyder's, Bert's, etc. sell the coils to make a 6 volt starter 12 volts.

I just read some of the posts after I wrote this one. It has already been mentioned. I do not think I will ever change mine to 12 volts. The six volts work fine.

It is funny how companies advertising sells. To sell their newest and greatest, they bad mouth their old products. Power steering is an example. They added power steering and then install a smaller steering wheel. I think the power steering pumps takes about three horsepower. The new electric power steering is computer controlled. People have been complaining about it jerking their hands off the wheel. There was a wreck the other day. The guy was pulling a trailer and a wind came up and he lost control of the truck. The computer controlled steering was the fault according to the driver.

Mechanical brakes work fine on a model"A" when maintained correctly. A lot of people ask me if I still have mechanical brakes and when I say yes they usually make some funny face or ask when I am going to but hydraulic brakes on the car.They say are you not afraid of them.

Advertising sells

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.

Last edited by sturgis 39; 11-12-2011 at 09:51 PM. Reason: added long note about advertising. 734
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:20 PM   #19
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
My '30 roadster with 6V starter and "tractor" bendix has been cranking on 12V with no problems these past 20 odd years.
Robert,
Simplistic and true! Much to do about nothing. I've always been told that 6v windings are HEAVIER than 12v windings in a starter, so the 'problem' seems to come down to the (6v) bendix spring breaking under 12V load.
Just install the 'new' bendix , as you state, and problem solved..cheaply!
I've used an original 80 year old model a 6V starter with 'new' bendix for ten years now....no problems incurred

Now if only we could get someone/anyone to manufacture an 'original' type starter switch, with henry like made quality..whoohoo!!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #20
Lawrie

I changed my A to 12v, ONLY as a last resort to run my waeco fridge in the camper it tows.
I did a lot of work on the starter to get it to start nice on 12v,
the 12v field coils didnt slow the starter,
the new drum drive exploded after 7000klms,
To slow the 6v starter down I made a heavy resistor to fit on the starter from an 12 gauge arc welding rod,
then refitted the original bendix drive.
So far its been fine
BUT not as nice as the 6v.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote