Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 10:46 AM   #1
Kevin in NJ

Default Stainless Radiator Shell Polishing Hints and Experiences Request

I am about to start on my 31 shell as good cold weather project. I have a Baldor buffer and done some polishing of headlamp shells and the the cowl band.

I am about to tackle a pretty nice 31 shell I have and looking for peoples experiences.
By pretty nice I mean just a tiny crack at the bottoms that I think are from manufacturing as I have always seen them. The spot welds for the lower panel are indented some, but I believe that is factory too. There are several minor dents and one slight push in at the top with about a 2 diameter and a light line at the base.

I am planning on making a hard plastic hammer and try to work the dents out as best I can before moving onto picking with steel.

My wondering is how much of a back structure is needed to support the shell, if any, during the buffing process? Should I make a plywood cut out to support the back side, just run some cross bars at the screw points, or just not bother and keep my buffing so I do not get into the edges.
I am planning on using a small wheel on a hand tool to get the edges I dare not go near with my big wheel.

So please let me know how you sucessfully buffed out your shells.

As an aside, what brand and grit sandpaper and how much did you go through to pull out all the scratches? What worked well and what did not?
What type of lighting did you use to best see the scratch to figure out when to stop and go onto the next higher grit?

Thanks!!
Old 02-01-2015, 12:09 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Stainless Radiator Shell Polishing Hints and Experiences Request

Watch out for the wheel grabbing the part.

Don't push too hard or use wheel with too much speed or you will heat the shell locally and cause it to warp. Once it is warped it is impossible to fix. It will be shiny but full of ripples.

Draw a grid pattern with a Sharpie on the shell. Buff out each square and then go to the next.

Use compounds and wheels designed for stainless from a company that sells stainless buffing supplies, not the "one size fits none" type from the local hardware store.

Go from one compound to the next finer one and change wheels each time.

Plan on it taking longer than you expect. Don't rush.

Do the headlights completely for practice. You will probably spend a full day on them.

Charlie Stephens
Old 02-01-2015, 06:34 PM   #3
dave in australia

Start with 1200 by hand to get rid of the scratches, or maybe even larger, say a 800 or even 400. It depends on the size of the scratches. Don't try and use a too small grit early, you'll take to long. After 1200, then use a sisal wheel with carbrax compound, usually dark grey in colour. Change wheels for the final polish is with a stitch wheel, and use the chrome compound, which is green in colour. This is how we polished stainless in plating shop when I was an electroplater. There are other compounds and wheel, but we found this combination gave the best results. As others have said, don't push to hard, you'll create heat and warp what you're polishing. Let the compound do the work for you. When machine polishing, work from the centre down to an edge, and not from the edge in towards the centre. This way you'll never catch the edge and have it snatched from your hands.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:40 PM   #4
Chris Haynes

The originals were electropolished. Not buffed.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Old 02-01-2015, 11:48 PM   #5
Chuck Sea/Tac

If you have dents, look up metal bumping.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:03 AM   #6
dennis lumbert

I made a 1x1 rectangular frame from pine and screwed it to the inside of the shell using the shell mounting holes.This supported the shell and provided a good way to hold on to and control the shell on the wheel.Things went well until I got to comfortable with what I was doing and caught the edge in the opening at the upper left middle area.The shell was ripped out of my hands and dented on the top left middle edge.After thanking God that I still had my arm I went to work on the dent and several hours later had it worked out to the point it was not noticeable,(I got lucky).With a very healthy repect for that buffer I did achieve good results after many hours of work.Do not use a buffer while tired or if you can not focus your attention 100% on the job at hand.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:37 AM   #7
Tim Armstrong

Wear good leather gloves and keep the part low on the buffing wheel. That wheel can destroy a part in a second.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:32 AM   #8
Tom Cavallaro

Mine had some dents, hammered out and polished out using a five inch buffing wheel and Jewlers rouge you can't find where the dent was!
Old 02-02-2015, 08:52 AM   #9
Bob Bidonde

Take safety precautions. Wear leather gloves and eye protection. Be extremely careful when buffing near edges. Don't be in a rush!

On the buffing wheel, use White Cake first, then go to a Red Rouge Cake to finish. Charge the buffing wheel often and let the cake do the work. Avoid getting the stainless hot enough to turn blue.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:50 AM   #10
Ray in La Mesa

Polishing the cowl band is a real challenge. I took a piece of 1/2" ply wood,1/2 a 4'X8' sheet, traced the inside of the band and cut to fit. Then tapered the edges to fit inside the band and,screwed angle brackets on the bottom corners to run the long bolts through.
Then I cut the center of the plywood out leaving a 5" wide strip with the band mounted on the outside, like a giant horseshoe. This gives you a stable jig to hold while buffing so the tendency of the buffer to grab and throw is greatly reduced. Good luck.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:53 AM   #11
larrys40

Kevin
Here's a couple if things I've done

If I have a dent I take a piece of sandpaper on the back side and scuff to highlight the dent area . Anything to help you show the high / low just for reference
Sharpie markers are good for working on shells to mark/ show what areas need attention
A rubber sanding block with I believe 800 is so does a nice job of showing what needs attention on the front facing side as well

A formed bucking contoured piece of hardwood does help as a bucking bar/ backup piece
I use a combination of a very small hard plastive faced hammer and a small body / ball poem hammer . You don't want to use too large of one as the radius of the shell can take damage from the size of the hammer if you are understanding what saying
Sometimes for small dings a small ballpien with the beveled radiused edge does best for me

I remember back many years ago when Walt Brattons started doing stainless work before selling parts I bought some compounds from him and asked for some advice and he said font be afraid to take a small very fine file to it if you have a spot or two that needs some attention
It takes quite a long time to get sand scratches out through progressive grits
400,800,1000 and then buff with course compound an area like Charlie and Dave indicated in a grid manor

Once you have that down and buffed through in the course phase you can progress to your next of using fine with the fluffier wheel
Wear leather gloves as the guys have said !!

You are a good detail thorough restorer
You will do fine . Watch the edges and do them lightly
Common sense and very careful attention and patience is key

Larry

Last edited by larrys40; 02-02-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:46 PM   #12
mot

heres how ford buffed them
tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-008S.JPG (34.3 KB, 138 views)
Old 02-03-2015, 02:06 PM   #13
Rusty Homestead Fl

Like Charlie said in post #2. Don't push too hard . Buddy of mine got his caught in the wheel and turned his into shapes Henry could never have dreamed of.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:03 PM   #14
Kevin in NJ

FWIW, I am paranoid of getting it caught. I did that with a head light trim rig. Thought I broke my wrist, turned out it just ripped the metal band watch off my wrist.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:04 PM   #15
d.j. moordigian

I have a question about the buffing process;...

What speed(RPM) motor do you use?
Old 02-03-2015, 04:08 PM   #16
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
The originals were electropolished. Not buffed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
heres how ford buffed them
tom

Tom, I thought of that same picture when I read Chris' comment. Maybe both was used??

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. moordigian View Post
I have a question about the buffing process;...

What speed(RPM) motor do you use?
Dudley, you will probably think I am nuts, but I do it any speed I want to!

Actually I debated buying a Baldor and instead I made a mandrel for my vari-speed Bridgeport. I just use a bedsheet to protect from all the lint and compound, and I lower the knee where I have plenty of room. I sure ain't stalled the motor yet!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Old 02-03-2015, 04:38 PM   #17
mleder

What is meant by the term electropolished?. What is that process?
Old 02-03-2015, 06:04 PM   #18
peters180a/170b

Boy . i am reading all these post with WARNINGS , with chances of catching the parts in the buffer and twisting the piss out of the now ,,not be able to use part anymore ? A lot of SLOW WORKING TIME [DON'T RUSH] , KNOWLEDGE [picking , filing ,heating, welding sanding , a CHANCE OF SOME OF YOUR OWN BODY DAMAGE [WRIST , EYES ,FINGERS] ... I would like to do everything on the restoration of my "A"s but when it comes to having the correct TOOLS, TIME , 40 YEARS OF KNOWLEDGE OF STAINLESS STEEL restoration work i leave it to the PRO'S. [NOT MANY] . I just receive my Headlights , cowl lights , cowl band and a radiator shell on the way [on exchange or bought outright] .Are you ready for it...here it comes,,, Doug Bruce. might not make everybody happy but for the MOST part MOST Very happy... At this point of time i can't afford to lose the loss of a eye or a finger or what ever....time lost on my JOB. [ Doug has 4 shells done 2-1930- and 2 ,1931..] at a normal shell restoration takes 30 to 40 hours to do... 1930 shell $675.00 that's $17.00 per hour.... at 40 hours... Please find me anyone at that price or cheaper for the risk.. 1931's $750.00 a shell harder to find.

Last edited by peters180a/170b; 02-03-2015 at 06:22 PM. Reason: added more info.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:57 PM   #19
Mitch//pa
BANNED

well since it was brought up, i am in business to make everybody happy and if someone is not i will make it right one way or the other. i might also add that i didnt want to be injured either so decided to buy a SHOW QUALITY shell from DOUG BRUCE for $700. what i received was a dented piece with a buff job that looks like he used steel wool. be forewarned

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 02-03-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:32 PM   #20
Model A Suz

hi Pete
Closed Thread