Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-02-2015, 06:16 PM   #1
Fred A

Default Replacing '40 Frame?

The body on my '40 five window coupe is exceptional but the frame has been cut badly at the passenger side X for drag car headers plus the braces beside the Xmember were hogged out for larger mufflers. I want to swap out the frame for a nice one that has no measurable problems or ugly cuts. The candidate frame (car) has its own title, so not such a problem. How tough is it to change to this other chassis. I've pulled Model A bodies and have the means but V8 cars may be more complicated? Thanks:
Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
Scott H in Wheaton

Default Re: Replacing '40 Frame?

I haven't changed the body on a model A but I am doing a full frame off build on my 36 pickup. Its the same frame as your 40. This is my first time doing something this old, I've done dozens of 60's Mustangs.
I haven't run into anything particularly challenging and its almost all back together. Its just nuts and bolts, you can do it.
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:09 PM   #3
Kube

I agree with Scott. Perhaps only a bit more challenging than a Model A but there should be little problem with doing this swap.
I would be certain you have a '39 or '40 frame. Lots of folks think '36 - '40 are the same but they are not. I would also measure the frame and make certain it is not bent nor twisted. A visual inspection is not good enough...
Old 07-02-2015, 07:18 PM   #4
oldredford

Only 39 and 40 frames are the same. I am doing a 40 5 window coupe and it was on a 37 or 38 frame. There is some differences. I finally located a good 40 frame it came from my parts car a 40 4 dr sedan.
oldredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:30 PM   #5
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldredford View Post
Only 39 and 40 frames are the same. I am doing a 40 5 window coupe and it was on a 37 or 38 frame. There is some differences. I finally located a good 40 frame it came from my parts car a 40 4 dr sedan.
Even '39 frames are different from 1940. They will both work but on the concourse, they are supposed to be judged as '39 OR '40.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:35 PM   #6
TomT/Williamsburg

I am not a purist nor do I run totally stock vehicles - this is just my opinion based on having driven several 40s for many years ....

If your car is not showing problems with the present frame, you are not looking for a 100 point restored car when finished, and you are not running anything more than a flathead in the car, I would fix/replace what has been modified to return the structural rigidity. If you are running a more modern day motor with a more modern tranny, the mods to your frame will start making themselves known at some point and I would replace the frame. It just depends on what you want out of this car - Sunday driver, hot rod, street rod, driving it in parades and around town only or long distance and at speed.

There used to be a shop in PA that sold replacement pieces for the 35-40 frame - someone here may know the place - but you can easily fabricate/repair most anything underneath or even find replacement used pieces. These frames were all riveted together so by just making appropriate tabs you can drill and bolt in some fixes while welding others. It really depends on the extent of the repair.

These cars were made to take quite a bit of flex throughout the body and frame. They were riveted and made to flex and move with literally all parts making up the whole. Running a 40 without fenders and running boards (not that you anyone would do this) would seriously undermine the strength of the car. Henry, for the most part, made these cars for rough roads and I have an old tape from Henry showing the construction and design of the 40 that proves that.

Whatever you do keep us posted on your progress - good luck!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:09 AM   #7
George/Maine

I changed a 39 sedan frame was totally gone, Found a 35 .
Many ways it can be done.
Remove front and rear fenders.
I used engine hoist with a chain under back and high enough to get 2 milk cases under and a 4x4 10 feet long.
There are 22 bolts to hold body on.
I now moved the engine hoist to front and under body mounts with chain left there.
Steering column is most problem remove and pedals problem just push down and hold. I then dropped frame and wheeled out on brake drums.
Check front for any changes just make the same.
Good you have title and now have numbers to match.
I just resampled with my original numbers.
Have fun.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:06 AM   #8
Fred A

Guys in my local V8 club are split on which way to go also. From my side, the car would be on the road in far less time using the distressed frame, but it's like an inferiority complex knowing what lies beneath. Hard to pass on what could be such a sanitary frame to put with a nice body. I read of so many guys working hard to save rough cars while such improvement is within my reach. On other '40 projects I've had to replace doors and other body components, while finding it to be quite easy, or I just got lucky. Imagine the access to a bare chassis with the frame blasted and painted and the mechanicals cleanly installed. One might think I had already decided. Just looking for horror stories that might give pause. Thanks for your thoughts: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:07 AM   #9
Capn John

I believe the 35-40 frames are presently being manufactured.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/1935-4...ils,52422.html

https://books.google.com/books?id=Qv...0rails&f=false

http://www.rodplans.com/index.php?op...302&Itemid=717

Last edited by Capn John; 07-03-2015 at 08:17 AM.
Capn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:25 AM   #10
skidmarks

Build the nice frame and swap it. Its not that bad of a job. Do yourself a favor and get all new nuts and bolts.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:54 AM   #11
woodiewagon46

I would replace the frame if it was my car. Once the sheet metal is off it's a relatively easy job plus you can have a perfectly fresh and painted chassis. I have done several "body offs" and my favorite time is replacing all the components on the fresh frame. Nothing is in your way and you are not working on your back. If the original frame is that bad, it might take the same time.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:47 AM   #12
skidmarks

After swapping out frames the damage frame can be restored and then you have another nice frame to fix another car with
Old 07-03-2015, 10:52 AM   #13
deuce_roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarks View Post
After swapping out frames the damage frame can be restored and then you have another nice frame to fix another car with
Remember the VIN to the original car is on the damaged frame, if restored and put under another car.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:58 AM   #14
skidmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
Remember the VIN to the original car is on the damaged frame, if restored and put under another car.
If there is a title to both frames its worth all the more. Early frames have always been in demand .