Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-21-2023, 01:51 PM   #1
jimTN

Default Broke an axle

Broke an axle in my 34 yesterday, no pop just all of a sudden the engine speeded up. It's on the drivers side of the Columbia so I hope to pull the right housing, Columbia side instead of pulling the rear end. Anybody got a extra 18 tooth 33/4 axle, I amd in the market for one. Please PM me.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 02:55 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: Broke an axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimTN View Post
Broke an axle in my 34 yesterday, no pop just all of a sudden the engine speeded up. It's on the drivers side of the Columbia so I hope to pull the right housing, Columbia side instead of pulling the rear end. Anybody got a extra 18 tooth 33/4 axle, I amd in the market for one. Please PM me.
Jim, You'll need to pull the left housing off to remove the axle. You may leave the right-side axle housing intact.
What is the overall length of the axle?
Old 04-21-2023, 03:07 PM   #3
Ken/Alabama

Remove the left housing then remove the bolts holding the ring gear to the Columbia planetary housing then remove the ring gear and the spider gears and cross and the right axle should slide out.
Ken/Alabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 03:14 PM   #4
Zeke3

Contact barnfind08 on here to see if he has a replacement.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 03:41 PM   #5
Seth Swoboda

1933 & 1934 axles usually bring a good price. I had a 33/34 rear end I parted out a few years ago. I wish I had another.
Seth Swoboda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 03:54 PM   #6
V8COOPMAN

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke3 View Post
Contact barnfind08 on here to see if he has a replacement.
AGAIN, here is complete "barnfind08" information.

Fred Wilner - (barnfind08")
SOUTHSIDE OBSOLETE
7136 200th St E.
Faribault, MN 55021
(507) 332-6789

Direct PM to "barnfind08" BELOW!

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/priva...do=newpm&u=104

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 04:00 PM   #7
jimTN

Thanks all. I have a complete good rear end with axles but hope to locate an axle and not have to strip this one. Not sure of the length at this point.
Old 04-21-2023, 04:04 PM   #8
bobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
1933 & 1934 axles usually bring a good price. I had a 33/34 rear end I parted out a few years ago. I wish I had another.
I have both axles from a 33-34. Both used. I haven't looked at them in a very long time. If interested, let me know, and I'll look-see if I think they are any good.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 04:10 PM   #9
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
I have both axles from a 33-34. Both used. I haven't looked at them in a very long time. If interested, let me know, and I'll look-see if I think they are any good.
I meant that I wish I had another to sell.
Seth Swoboda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 05:46 PM   #10
drfromnc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Jim, You'll need to pull the left housing off to remove the axle. You may leave the right-side axle housing intact.
What is the overall length of the axle?
They are 32.18” long. I had to tear apart 3 rears to find a good pair of axles when rebuilding mine (no Columbia).
drfromnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 09:26 AM   #11
Ol' Ron

It's times like this, you might consider replacing the rear with a more modern axle Ford 8' or spicer/dana 35/44. Not the easy way to go, BUT??
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 09:39 AM   #12
Bored&Stroked

I'll say it . . . you'll probably find it is a heck of a lot easier to just remove the whole rear-end - so you can easily work on it, than to try to do all of this under the car. I used to do all sorts of crap on the cement floor of a garage . . . I've learned that I'm not 18 anymore and I like to get stuff up where I can work on it!

For rebuilding rears, I made a plate that mounts to my engine stand - this makes it a whole lot easier!

IMG_7500.jpg

IMG_7503.jpg
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 09:46 AM   #13
Bored&Stroked

Jim, if you don't already have brake drum safety devices installed, you should put them on when you rebuild the rear.

When you break an axle, the drum can easily come off and catastrophic things happen when this occurs.

I know it is a rare deal, but can you imagine if you were going around a corner when an axle breaks and the whole wheel/drum comes off. Bad JuJu!
Old 04-23-2023, 02:30 PM   #14
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
For rebuilding rears, I made a plate that mounts to my engine stand - this makes it a whole lot easier!

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 07:08 AM   #15
jimTN

Progress report. Removed the old axle, really was quite easy. Car is up on four stands, put a stand under the center housing, used my small porta power to push the spring, removed the shock connection and radius arm, housing and then the axle. I will make up some 3/8 guide studs to make it easier to install the ring gear and housing. Pete, love that rear end stand. I am going to build one using the end from a old torque tube.
Old 04-24-2023, 09:46 AM   #16
richard crow

ever wounder why the axle broke. the cause may bey the axle race on the housing is worn. & the drum race is worn plus the bearing. this causes the axle to ride off center flexing just a few thousands every revereloution thus causing fetige. mike the housing race & the hub race . the housing is over 90 years old & seen plenty of mileage
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 11:58 AM   #17
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard crow View Post
ever wounder why the axle broke. the cause may bey the axle race on the housing is worn. & the drum race is worn plus the bearing. this causes the axle to ride off center flexing just a few thousands every revereloution thus causing fetige. mike the housing race & the hub race . the housing is over 90 years old & seen plenty of mileage

NOT tightening that big ol' hub retention nut down near the 205 ft. lbs. when reassembling these rear drums is cause for a lot of cracks. That hub is wobbling on that tapered axle IF you haven't tightened it near spec. NOBODY is doing themselves a favor by making it easier to get that drum off the next time. That taper MUST be TIGHT, clean and dry to function properly!

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 03:23 PM   #18
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimTN View Post
Progress report. Removed the old axle, really was quite easy. Car is up on four stands, put a stand under the center housing, used my small porta power to push the spring, removed the shock connection and radius arm, housing and then the axle. I will make up some 3/8 guide studs to make it easier to install the ring gear and housing. Pete, love that rear end stand. I am going to build one using the end from a old torque tube.
Hey Jim, the stand was something I did - Pete helps out with photos one can actually see!

On thing on the Torque Tube approach is that you can't easily get to the pinion to set backlash, thrust and overall pinion and differential "drag". I needed to fit my wrenches in there as well as my inch/lbs torque wrench. That is why I made mine sit up above the engine rotation point - for easy access.
Old 04-24-2023, 03:28 PM   #19
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
NOT tightening that big ol' hub retention nut down near the 205 ft. lbs. when reassembling these rear drums is cause for a lot of cracks.
What I do is torque down to a lower number - say 150, drive it a bit, retorque again to 200, drive it a bit and then retorque it again. When I say "a bit" I'm talking just a few miles.

I will say, every time I take my big ole' torque wrench and go to 205, I'm gritting my teeth, making funny faces and praying to God to "just let me torque this one more time . . . please".

It is kind of a "sphincter snapper" to put that much torque on the axle thread. Many bad thoughts go through my mind - many!
Old 04-24-2023, 03:51 PM   #20
jimTN

Broke axle had a crack half way thru, just was not caught when the C was built. I have stripped the extra rear end and got a good axle to go back in tomorrow.