Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #1
hardtimes

Default oil pressure guage Q..

rex a co oil guage only sells 10 lb guage,
since so many guys have pressured As/ Bs now...what make model guages available, to your knowledge/experience...my B runs 30 lbs +/- so need one!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
pat in Santa Cruz

Default Re: oil pressure guage Q..

gauges like Stewart Warner and others are available from common auto parts stores or on line. Most makers make small ones that fit the popular A oil pressure gauge holder. Most of them are 0-100 psi, but I found a Stewart Warner that is 5-80 psi for my pressurized B with a black face a white numbers that looks classic. For one with older style looking face plate, I just found one at a swap meet that is 0-50 and has old type face.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:23 AM   #3
Farrell In Vancouver

I think you can still get low digit pressure gauges for the Harley Davidson Shovel head, Panheads etc. My old Shovel made about three pounds at idle and close to twenty at full throttle, (at least as accurate as any guage shaking and vibrating like a dawg sh-tting razor blades) Standard thread but small dial maybe 1.5" or 1.75" glycerin filled. Try Aftermarket Harley Parts.
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
1928Pickuppain

Farrell You gat 3 lbs at idle and 20 at full throttle seems execivly hight for a shovel I build harleys from the grownd up you have a 3 to 1 ratio of oil in to oil out on most pan and shovel oil pumps but becouse the whole systems a circulating system and the oil is not kept in the crank and the crank preshure is released by your breather you should be runing at around 3-5 psi when first start but after its warm you should be reading almost 0 at almost any rpm becouse its a circulatory system with and extrernal tank. are you running a modifyed oil pump on it. the only time i have ever hurd of oil pressure running that high on a big v twin is when theres a clog or a dafram in the oil pump not opening fully. sorry for just butting in it just seems like somethings wrong.
1928Pickuppain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:01 PM   #5
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrell In Vancouver View Post
I think you can still get low digit pressure gauges for the Harley Davidson Shovel head, Panheads etc. My old Shovel made about three pounds at idle and close to twenty at full throttle, (at least as accurate as any guage shaking and vibrating like a dawg sh-tting razor blades) Standard thread but small dial maybe 1.5" or 1.75" glycerin filled. Try Aftermarket Harley Parts.
farrell,
thanks for the input !
i got a glycerin filled harley guage,as you sug. i put it on my B..DOWN AT THE OIL FILTER AREA. my B doesnt shake like my '48 indian chief or your harley, but that glycerin fill is a great idea ! anyway, it reads 30 lbs on startup....and this guage has a 60 on its upper end !!
problem is...its only about 1" across
Q: when do start to getting old ...when you need a magnafine glass to see your oil pressure guage
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
Farrell In Vancouver

No worries Pickuppain that motor blew up maybe 15 years ago (I was smart enough to sell it before she went) I used to run straight fifty in it in the summer and when she was cold she would build pressure but at least the valve train was quiet. Went to 30wt in the winter but the point is I never trusted a guage on a low pressure oil system anyways. It just gave me something else to worry about (usually needlessly)
Got a twinkie now that just eats cam chains!

Hardtimes! Glad you have the guage you needed, now study it carefully and tell me what you learn. Hey you can alway hard pipe it into the cab and tie it the column so you can see it in action.
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote