Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-26-2016, 10:07 AM   #21
CT Jack

Default Re: Has anybody done it?

Yes, it is well thought out. My goal was to find a unit that would use a more modern electrical type design that could handle the polarity issue, LED electrical loads, be compact, and most of all be very functional but not be visible. Putting a turn signal switch lever on a Model A steering column in my view is not a very original look. At the same time my main goal was to make driving my A over the road a lot safer experience.
In the process of researching the type of unit I wanted I did try a couple of the units mentioned in this thread and found they were lacking some of the features I was looking for. The Electro-Tech unit is easy to wire. It comes with a modern style plug in terminal strip which allows making all the light connections on the terminal strip while holding it in your hand. When you are finished wiring the terminal strip simply plugs into the control module. The person who designed this unit certainly knows something about more modern electrical component design.
Note: All my directional lights use insert type 6volt LED lamps with the same bases as the stock incandesent lamps (1156). The cowl lights are bright white and the tail lights are red. I have had serious electrical problems (shorting) with that wonderful aftermarket piece of junk steering column light switch module. I fixed the problem by eliminating the cowl lights working off the steering wheel switch and connecting them to a toggle switch hidden behind front dash panel (problem solved). With the cowl lights on or off they work as directionals as well.
CT Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 04:08 PM   #22
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
A lot of great information and ideas. Thanks for all the input it is very much appreciated.
LTK, A couple more pictures of my "stealth" system. First picture is the switch hidden under the dash rail. The second is the indicator light. I drilled thru the center of one of the dash rail screws and installed a 3mm LED.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0577.jpg (29.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0569.jpg (26.5 KB, 33 views)
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 05:28 PM   #23
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

What a terrible user name, " Licensed to Kill ". I am surprised they let you use it. Wayne .
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 09:32 PM   #24
Special Coupe Frank

Find yourself an Arrow "soup-can" directional signal switch from the 1930's.

I have one I'm restoring for use in my '28 Coupe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arrow turn signal switch and fender lights.jpg (9.8 KB, 21 views)
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 10:07 PM   #25
Herb Concord Ca

Speedway Motors sells a unit similar to CT Jack's. It only works on 12 Volts.
I installed one in my Slant TS about 7 years ago works great with bulbs or LEDs.
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 02:21 PM   #26
bettlesr

I hid my idiot lights for the flashers and high beam by using SS philips head screws to hold the dash rail, drilling 1/8" holes through the center of them and then sliding small LEDs in the holes. The green one for the flashers is in the center of the dash and is quite bright. The blue one is for the high beam and right in front of the driver. This one I have quite dim as it is right in front of me and is on whenever the high beams are on. I have 100w halogen high beams so I don't want to blind other drivers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NCM_1395.jpg (40.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg NCM_1391.jpg (41.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg NCM_1393.jpg (36.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg NCM_1392.jpg (35.5 KB, 6 views)