Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-21-2012, 06:12 AM   #21
Tom Morookian

Default Re: Vintique phone number? beware of door handles

Just so you know - I called Vintique and basically got a "drop dead" response. They said I could return the handles to C&G and they would replace them. Well, I really don't want a second set of bad handles. I inquired about the box Vintiques uses that says "Quality Assured". That brought complete silence. I'm not trying to "bash" any supplier. I guess all I want to do is warn others to not buy these particular door handles.

Yes, I did lube the handles - with graphite, before installation.
Tom Morookian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:40 AM   #22
DICK SPADARO

Tom I just checked back on this post to see what had transpired. Graphite lube is not the best choice, you need to use an oil base lube like 3n1 on the tumblers because it does not dry out from exposure to sunlight radiant heat, you can use WD40 to free up the stuck tumblers but this will dry out also. This is also a good yearly service on all door locks and ignition locks ,a couple drops of lube wicked on the key or in the key slot will make the lock function a lot easier.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #23
Kube

From my experience Vintique nearly always, yes, nearly always sells total garbage. No bashing, just reality.
I do have a suggestion: How about all of us ask the dealer if it is Vintique and if so, refuse the purchase? The guys that sell this crap would soon get the hint.
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #24
Ken Arms

I agree with Barry, lets not use the Barn to dis these suppliers, at least go to them first with your concerns. I hate cheap repop parts too but I dont think we will convince Henry to make them anymore! I Know, each of us on the barn can repop a quality part ourselves and just barter back and forth! Smile folks, summer is close. Ken
Ken Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #25
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Arms View Post
I agree with Barry, lets not use the Barn to dis these suppliers, at least go to them first with your concerns. I hate cheap repop parts too but I dont think we will convince Henry to make them anymore! I Know, each of us on the barn can repop a quality part ourselves and just barter back and forth! Smile folks, summer is close. Ken
This, in my opinion, is the perfect forum for just such a converstaion.
In part I agree with you but many of us have tried to get Vintique to do the right thing and they have apparently done with others what they have done with me. that is, a too bad, so sad" attitude.
How else can we get the word out to others that some places are simply not worth the bother or at best, utilize them with extreme caution?
It seems (correct me if I am wrong) that you'd rather accept a poorly made part (even though it is advertised as quality assured) simply because a good part is difficult to find???
With due respect,
Mike
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #26
fisheasy

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I work on locks for the schools in my town. when i get a key that want turn i use brake cleaner to free it up. doesn't seem to do like wd-40 and just lube the problem. It actually cleans out the lock. Shoot a little graphite and its smooth sailing from there. what was said about the heat issue could be true.
fisheasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #27
al pa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
I personally would not rate Bob Drake's parts anywhere near as low as Vintique's parts. I have ordered parts from some major suppliers that shipped me Vintique parts in boxes that had the Vintique name cut off the outer layer of their box. Does that tell you anything about the supplier's ethics and what that supplier actually thought about Vintique? I still have those parts, unused, in those same boxes but now can't remember exactly what they are....I'm thinking maybe repro '39 taillights. If there is anyone here who truly likes Vintique parts, send me a pm and these unused Vintique parts can be yours at a very reasonable price
I may have been satisfied with Drakes parts,if I had ever recieved any.He had a special on some parts I needed.I orderd some extra stuff I didn't need,and after holding my money for 45 days,said they weren't available.Shortly after,the parts were again listed at full price.This is among scams posted by other members.Your personal opinion doesn't help those who have been taken advantage of.
al pa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:08 AM   #28
Tom Morookian

Follow up on what I discovered:

Since the Vintique "buttholes" where so uncooperative I bit the bullet and decided to take apart one of the 1st handles. What I discovered is that there's a pin that is supposed to go up and down as a cam on the end of the lock cylinder rotates. It appears that if the handle is rotated to firmly, while the thing is locked, the pin (which is brass) gets distorted and gets stuck in the hole it's supposed to slide thru. Then the cam, which is also brass, bends as you try to unlock it.

Lots of graphite is the only answer I can think of. I suggest putting graphite between the handle and the escutcheon that screws to the door too. That may sneak into the pin area.
Tom Morookian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #29
my2nd40

I have bought and used quite a few Vintique parts. I try to buy most of my parts at the various car shows so I can determine the quality of the part before hand. This works good for me, but if you can't attend the various events I suppose you take a risk by ordering sight unseen. I find the vendors to be particularly helpful and honest as a whole in telling you what they know about the parts they sell. I have my favorites and I don't mind asking who makes the best hinges, door handles, mirrors, fenders, or whatever, then I look for myself.
my2nd40 is offline   Reply With Quote