Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-25-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
COE Dan

Default Help needed to fit '39 windshield seal

Ford Barners,

I need some help installing my new windshield frame-to-body seal on my 1939 Ford Fordor Deluxe Sedan. I purchased a new (reproduction) 37-39 Closed Car windshield seal followed the directions precisely. My problem is that I cannot get the new seal to seat correctly in the frame. The seal fits around the perimeter of the frame correctly but I can’t get the seal deep enough into the frame except at the molded corners. I looked to see why that was the case and determined that the seal is the correct thickness at the corners but too thick around the remainder of the frame. This means after fully pressing the seal into the groove, the seal is 1/8-1/4 of an inch farther from the frame than it should be and the seal curls towards the back of the frame and prevents the windshield from seating in the body opening and also prevents the windshield regulator from closing the windshield.

I don’t seen how I can trim the seal to fit. I would need to trim the curved face of the seal and I don’t think I’ll be able to do this consistently arount the perimeter to prevent bubbles and leaks. Anyone have experience with new repro seal installation?

Looking for help, thanks
COE Dan
COE Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
39 STD

Default Re: Help needed to fit '39 windshield seal

What brand is your seal? I know I could'nt get the first two seals I tried to fit. Finally, got a new Drake seal to work.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
COE Dan

The seal I purchased was a new Drake seal. Drake has made these seals for some time but I had to wait over a year before the present batch came in. I don't know if he switched suppliers/molds or not.

COE Dan
Old 11-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
Kahuna

Like 39STD, I also could not get a new seal to fit. My original was in pretty good shape, so I soaked in silicon and reinstalled.
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
Kube

The seals are difficult to install. You MUST be 100% certain ALL of the old seal is out of the channel. Even a small amount remaining (of the old seal) will not allow the new seal to fit.
Use a bit of liquid dish soap to lubricate the new seal. Install the ends first.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #6
COE Dan

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks for the posts.

I've installed and removed the new seal 3 times now. Used lubricant and went back and cleaned the channel twice. The seal fits well in the two bottom corners but the rest is too thick to fit. Additional cleaning yielded only a few little chucks of leftover seal.

The old seal came out easily but I destroyed it in the process since it was so dessicated - so now I can't drive my car until I solve the seal issue. So much for an easy afternoon installation.

COE Dan
Old 11-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
TJ

Recheck the groove in the frame to make sure it is clean. I've use a curved dental pick to get into the groove to make sure all the old rubber is gone. The new seal will curve backward towards the body after it is installed. Once installed in the frame slowly crank the windshield closed. Use a curved tool (Harbor Freight has has a set of plastic tools that are curved) to lift the gasket forward as you close the windshield. Once closed the gasket will eventually flatten out and fit the body.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:18 PM   #8
shuffster

I just did my 1936. The first seal that I purchased from Mac's, I returned. Then ordered from Drake, only slightly better. "Molded corners" were barely there. Neither seal was close to the profile of the one I removed.

I went ahead and installed the Drake, with much frustration. I used talc powder (actually corn starch). The groove in the windshield frame was very clean, yet the "fin" that is to go in the space appears to be oversize on both Mac's and Drakes. Yes, do the 4 corners first as Drake states, and then with great patience, begin the straights. I don't believe anyone makes a good one.

Good luck
shuffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:43 AM   #9
Dick Webber

I bought a new seal for my 39 Deluxe tudor several years ago. I think I should throw it away and be happy with the leaks.
Dick Webber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #10
40cpe

So the Drake molded corner seals are available again?
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #11
1937pickup

Give these folks a call-maybe they can help you. I believe all their seals are made in USA.

http://www.metrommp.com/
1937pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #12
flat-v8

I installed a Drake windshield frame seal on my 36 truck, I couldn't for the life of me figure out how the thing was suppose to fit, then it finally became clear, and just worked it in all the way around. It is easier than it first appears. The Drake seal fits good!
flat-v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #13
Seth Swoboda

After I got the seal installed on my 39 pickup windshield, I silicone caulked the window shut. Those windshields were notorious for leaking. I don't use the crank out windshield.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #14
TJ

Any of the cars with crank out windshields have drains in the corners. Make sure the drains are clean and have the rubber tube attached to drain the excess water out through the lower cowl corners. Not sure about 32-34 cars, but 35-39 all had the corner drains. Ford must have known that they had a leak problem.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:40 PM   #15
COE Dan

Thanks all for the help. I've tried all your suggestions and am no farther along than before. The corners are molded and there is no wrinkling or warpage on the corners when installed which is nice, I just can't get it to seat fully in the frame. I'll call Drake before trying anything else...next step is to modify the seal to fit i fear. I'm in Hawaii and I use the crank out winshield all the time.

COE Dan
Old 11-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #16
Bob Drake Repro

Dan,

Here are some more detailed instructions (in case you did not receive them).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 78-701290-CI.pdf (611.4 KB, 275 views)
Bob Drake Repro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:26 PM   #17
TJ

If you had the windshield out of the car to install the seal ,you may have to readjust the frame in the opening. The frame may be catching on the lower( or upper) opening of the body. This happened to me when I put a new seal in my 37. You have to remove the header panel to make the adjustments.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #18
40cpe

The frame may be catching on the lower( or upper) opening of the body. This happened to me when I put a new seal in my 37. You have to remove the header panel to make the adjustments.[/QUOTE]

I called C & G and got their last molded corner seal in stock, so I'll be replacing mine in the '38. I don't know about a '39, but there is no header panel in a '38. The headliner has to be detached from the tack strip above the windshield opening to access the hinges. It's a real pain, especially when the headliner is old and fragile.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #19

I installed Drakes seal on my 38 Coupe back in 02. Removed the frame from car, spent forever cleaning out the frame, installed new seal, and at first the windshield was hard to crank closed, loosened hinges, used a sponge to wet the body and seal where the frame/seal would be seated and cranked it into place, tightened hinges and.....no leaks and it lives outside in the driveway under a car cover.
3738 is offline   Reply With Quote