Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #21
28RPU

Default Re: So, was I in the wrong for trying to educate the 3bay seller?

I think that most people who do not take the information to heart and get all defensive about it are purposely deceiving people. I would think an honest person would welcome the information and do the research to find out the truth.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #22
van Dyck

Just yesterday, I watched a TED talk and the topic was," how to spot a liar" with Pamela Meyer as the speaker. It is well worth your while to watch it. One of the things she says is that we now live in a "post-truth society" and that we are in a "deception epidemic". Most people will allow themselves to fall victim to deception especially when the desire to own a particular item exceeds their sensibility to properly examine the deception.
van Dyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #23
green30coupe

I made the mistake of politely (I thought) challenging an eBay seller's description of a "NOS" part once. The vulgar, vitriolic response I got taught me to let it go. Had we been face-to-face I would have ripped his lips off and sold them to a bologna factory! But, maybe he just needed to vent on somebody and I served the purpose.

Ed
green30coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #24
Allanw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28RPU View Post
I think that most people who do not take the information to heart and get all defensive about it are purposely deceiving people. I would think an honest person would welcome the information and do the research to find out the truth.
That is 100% exactly what I thought before I saw your post.

There are a LOT of Ebayers (and other auction sites!) who really have no clue, or are deceptive on purpose. Some of these people are regurgitating what they've been told, and some are the ones making up the stuff that will be regurgitated for years to come. I see similar stuff on all the forums I've ever read.

I'm sure there'll be an ebay policy around misrepresentation etc - if some one looked like they were being deceptive, I tend to report the ad instead - it's anonymous and less hassle than dealing with these cretins.
"Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound"
Allanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #25
vulture

Not looking to fuel the fire but what is a expert
Old 12-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #26
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #27
CarlG

I like looking for things on eBay that are obviously described wrong. And a lot of the time, in the incorrect category. Some of my best buys have been these items since no one else bids on them.

An accurately described item in the correct category draws more bidders and therefore a higher selling price.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #28
Ross/Kzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
I like looking for things on eBay that are obviously described wrong. And a lot of the time, in the incorrect category. Some of my best buys have been these items since no one else bids on them.

An accurately described item in the correct category draws more bidders and therefore a higher selling price.

You're right. I got a great car trunk for a 35 Chevy that wasn't in the right category. I was the only bidder at the last minute.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #29
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter View Post
I don't have any issue with what you did. I've done it before, thinking that perhaps the seller may not know, and trying to save them some aggravation. I've had people thank me, and I've had people tell me to get lost.
Ditto but the "I did not realize that" are more common.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #30
bartmcneill

If I had $2,000,000 in cars do you think I would take my time to emails someone such a wordy email as the seller did? Roll up your pants legs, its getting deep.
bartmcneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:58 PM   #31
BILL WILLIAMSON

Dog here,
B.S. abounds, everywhere, some rolled in GLITTER! There's NOT enough shovels in the world to take care of it!! Gregg is a good kid, he picks up my D.S, it doesn't even stink!
By the way, what is E-BAY?????????? Buster T.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:30 PM   #32
Vern

And it doesn't have the engine pans! Truly does give a new definition of the word "RESTORED" as the seller says. Should have spent the few $.
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:34 PM   #33
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
And it doesn't have the engine pans! Truly does give a new definition of the word "RESTORED" as the seller says. Should have spent the few $.
Vaccum fittings but no vaccum lines.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:26 AM   #34
ctlikon0712

Yes, all good points. Also the inner fenders are obviously home made, and so is the rear spring cover. So many things. I truely think someone who pay's that much for that kind of job will be dissapointed when they see it in person. Say La Vi (spl)?
Old 12-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #35
jr-41ford

I have been looking at some Model A Woodies to buy, this one is not exactly what I want, but thought I would go ahead and ask the seller a couple of questions.

I asked about splash pans and the brass tag riveted to the firewall/gas tank and here is the reply.

"Hello Jr.
Thank you for your interest in our 1930 Ford. We specialize in vintage European cars. This our first Model A truck. We have had a few emails people asking about different items. To the best of our knowledge, the brass tag is a VIN plate. The serial number on the plate appears to be correct for the year of the truck. However, we were told that ford model As did not have a VIN plate ( so the speak) at least not in that location. The previous owner had the plate fabricated in order to have the truck registered in Georgia. As far as your second question, we do not have first hand knowledge about the splash pans.
"

In the state of Washington, where I live, the fabricated plate with the serial number wouldn't fly. I would be required to disassemble the car, enough to have the WA State Patrol, verify the VIN numbers on the frame. If the numbers didn't match the title, the vehicle would be confiscated until until who knows when.

After reading other comments on here, in addition to the seller's reply, it makes good sense to pass on the vehicle.
jr-41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #36
Chuck Kuntz

I don't agree that you should always just mind your own business. I almost bought a fake 1955 Ford convertible at Carlisle about 15 years ago. It looked super straight and the price was fair. The seller had a convincing line of BS about how he had restored it. Another fellow was interested at the same time and the seller started repeating the same story to him. A nosey non-bidding fellow then pointed out that it was not a real convertible and sure enough when he pointed out the problems it wasn't. Seller was really pissed off. Saved me and at least one other person a bundle.
I have politely told people at Hershey if their part was not correctly identified. I agree that you can usually judge their intent by their reaction.
Chuck Kuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #37
Buz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr-41ford View Post
In the state of Washington, where I live, the fabricated plate with the serial number wouldn't fly. I would be required to disassemble the car, enough to have the WA State Patrol, verify the VIN numbers on the frame. If the numbers didn't match the title, the vehicle would be confiscated until until who knows when.
You would also have a similar problem in NC.

Makes you wonder why there are so many old cars listed on eBay out of the state of Georgia seeing as they don't have titles there.
Buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #38
TnA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
just looked that up in the Local Dickshun arry, an ex is a has been, and a spert is a drip under pressure...oops did I print that
TnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #39
sturgis39

There was a 40 Ford coupe on e-bay about a month ago. It was described as a two door sedan. I watched the item and thought I would look at it later. It went cheap-$12,000.
It looked like a nice stock car without the SBC, aluminum radiator and Mustang Too. I wish I would have been alert.

The seller seem to be reluctant to post questions that are asked. Except ones that ask if the seller would consider a trade for a 2012 Corvette for a 89 Olds with 400,000 miles.

I do not bid until the end time is close. I know a person that sells a lot of stuff on e-bay and he bids his own stuff up. Than when the item is his because he is the high bidder, he claims non paying bidder and lists the item again.
sturgis39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #40
TonyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctlikon0712 View Post
Say La Vi (spl)?
That would be "C'est la vie."
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote