Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-16-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
bobthetman

Default 26 T noisy transmission

I am working on a 26 trans for a friend, the previous owner put a 25 hogs head on it without changing the brake band to the old stile. The car made a god awful noise every time you hit the brake (the wider band was grabbing bough the brake and low speed drum). I opened the trans and found the drive plate rivets loose,one of the clutch disks cracked the low speed drum bushing and the universal ball cap worn. After making the above repairs I reassembled the trans and put it back in service. When I drove the car low speed was ok, however when I went into high gear the trans would howl until I hit 25 to 30 mph. It would also howl when I hit the brake. The triple gears showed some wear on the third gear from the flywheel, could this be the cause or should I look somewhere else?
bobthetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #2
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Default Re: 26 T noisy transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetman View Post
I am working on a 26 trans for a friend, the previous owner put a 25 hogs head on it without changing the brake band to the old stile. The car made a god awful noise every time you hit the brake (the wider band was grabbing bough the brake and low speed drum). I opened the trans and found the drive plate rivets loose,one of the clutch disks cracked the low speed drum bushing and the universal ball cap worn. After making the above repairs I reassembled the trans and put it back in service. When I drove the car low speed was ok, however when I went into high gear the trans would howl until I hit 25 to 30 mph. It would also howl when I hit the brake. The triple gears showed some wear on the third gear from the flywheel, could this be the cause or should I look somewhere else?
I think the key word here is the previous owners work. If you didn't replace the triple gear pins, the triple gears will be wearing bad on the other gears in low, even if it doesn't sound that bad. In high when everything is locked together, is when it should be the quietest. One of the most important things are new bushings, the right I.D., and at a 90 degree angle to the drums. Check main shaft for wear, and run out, and back of crank flange for run out. The brake drum bushing has to be bored, a 90 degree angle to the drum, and the tail shaft bushing has to be bored , using the brake drum bushing I.D. as a centering point, for the tail shaft, they must be bolted togather. You can not do the tail shaft bushing separately. So, if you have that much noise in high, you just as well tear it down, and take a bunch of pictures and there are Guys here chomping at the bit to help, it's fun. Herm.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
rond

Howling in high gear is usually caused by the differential. The noise travels up the torque tube and the transmission becomes a speaker. When in high gear, the transmission input and output are coupled together by the clutch, so the triple gears are not rotating on their pins.
rond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:43 AM   #4
v8nut

I agree with rond. I had a very noisy howl in high gear which disappeared when I put in a new ring and pinion gear.
v8nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #5
bobthetman

Thanks for the quick response and good info. I think I am going to check out the rear end this weekend before I open the trans again. Let you know what I find next week. Thanks again for everyones input. Bob
Old 02-18-2011, 07:53 AM   #6
John Otis

Send a message via AIM to John Otis Send a message via Yahoo to John Otis

I had a horrible howling rear wheel bearing once.
John Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:23 AM   #7
46ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetman View Post
Thanks for the quick response and good info. I think I am going to check out the rear end this weekend before I open the trans again. Let you know what I find next week. Thanks again for everyones input. Bob
Probably gonna find worn out thrust bearings, among other things. If you order parts don't forget some spare pins for the thrust bearings...
46ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #8
bobthetman

Thanks, You guys were right on. I opened the rear and found the thrust washers were gone and the ring gear teeth were worn to point. I think I have a few more hours of work to do. Thanks again Bob