Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
Colonel

Default Driving the A

We have a stock Model A that is in good shape. We are planning about a 350 mile trip and were wondering if we can do this in one day or should stretch it out to two. How many miles is about the right amount to drive a stock A in a day?
Any suggestions about miles between stops for a brief cool down is also helpful. It is our first long road trip so any other comments are really welcome.
Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: Driving the A

Depending on your age and physical condition and which model you're driving, 350 miles can be a long day in an A. I find that stopping about every 45 minutes to stretch and rest myself is good on a long drive. I used to be able to go longer, but at 67, it just isn't as easy as it once was.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
Rainmaker Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
We have a stock Model A that is in good shape. We are planning about a 350 mile trip and were wondering if we can do this in one day or should stretch it out to two. How many miles is about the right amount to drive a stock A in a day?
Any suggestions about miles between stops for a brief cool down is also helpful. It is our first long road trip so any other comments are really welcome.

We have logged thousands of miles the past 25 years and find 200 miles a full 8 hour day. That will cover 2 meals and enough gas and potty breaks. Add extra time if you plan to sight see or antique shop along the way.
Rainmaker Ron
Rainmaker Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
Peyton

I've driven 350 miles in one day and averaged about 25 mph but that was 14 years ago (I am 69 now). I stopped to eat twice and had numerous small breaks from driving. The trip took 14 hours ---- Jacksonville to Pensacola on Hwy 90. The weather was wonderful --- north Florida in March.

My wife and I have traveled to Boone, Blowing Rock, Highlands,and Marshall (Asheville) from Jacksonville seven times and usually make the long drive on the first day so as to feel fresh upon arrival in the mountains. It's a two day trip. As I'm writing this, I'm fantasing about an eighth trip!
Peyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:10 PM   #5
Fred K-OR

Ray has a number of good points above. I know if I sit for more that 45 minutes or an hour in my huckster, I almost have to get out my walking stick to get the old bod going. I have not driven more than 50 or so miles in one day. So I am not an expert on longer trips.

It also would seem like Rainmaker Ron's experience and recommended distance would be a reasonable day. You need to consider that fact that you may have a breakdown that may take some time also. With a stock A you also have to consider the road you plan to travel. If the 350 miles are all up hill, you may only be able to travel 25MPH average speed most of the way excluding breaks.

Have fun with your trip but take the time to enjoy it.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
columbiA

Years ago when a long trip in the "A" I would generally average around 400 miles a day with many of those miles on washboard roads.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #7
murry29

I drive from Lincoln, CA to UCLA in one day about 500 miles all on highway 99 four to five times a year in my 31 pu from 1987 to 1990 all stock
murry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:42 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

I'd go 350 in a day, but that wouldn't leave time for stops at antique shops, etc. I'm pretty much a straight through driver anyway, with only quick gas stops. I don't like to drive faster than 45 in the A and try to find good country roads with not too much traffic.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:07 AM   #9
Logan

A stock model a could easily do 350 in a day of driving...not sight seeing and driving. The most my grandpa drove in a day was 535. I haven'thad the opportunity to beat that yet. But my old boss drove 900 miles and some change in one day in a model T. So 350 should be easy in an A.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:45 AM   #10
40 Deluxe

Let's see: "900 miles and some change in one day in a Model T". There's 24 hours in a day, right? To go 900 miles in 24 hours means a constant 37.5 miles per hour, whthout ANY stops for gas, rest room or food. Ye old boss is a storyteller, methinks!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:02 AM   #11
RUNNERBUN

The short answer is yes, you can do 350 miles in a day and I have. But! do you really need to or want to. I have done many thousands of miles on long trips and usually work on an average of 220 to 230 miles per day. This gives you plenty of time to enjoy the sceneary and time to smell the Roses.
As others have pointed out, your age and health are major influencying factors. Rest stops are very important for your own safety as well as your passengers and other road users.
Your travelling speed should be one that both you and your car are comfortable with.
Your average speed is not so important as is the lenght of stops you make along the way. You will find that what should be a quick fuel stop can easily take half an hour or often more. Lose ten minutes and then try to make it up by speeding, you'll find that is nearly impossible. Our cars attract a lot of attention and you will find that a fuel stop or coffee break will often turn into an oportunity to meet many interesting and friendly people. (a part of our hobby that I particulary enjoy)
As this is your first long trip I would advise you to make it a 2 day affair and enjoy it. Should you then consider it appropriate to do the distace in one day maybe you can try it on the return journey home.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:04 AM   #12
pat in Santa Cruz

It depends on which model of A you have. I have done over 500 in my slant sedan in one day, and was no worse off than I would have been in my Toyota pickup. Which is not to say I felt great at the end of the day. But more than 100 in a station wagon or pickup is a spine killer.

I prefer to stop and smell the roses when driving the A, so I would do it in 2 days.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:10 AM   #13
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Let's see: "900 miles and some change in one day in a Model T". There's 24 hours in a day, right? To go 900 miles in 24 hours means a constant 37.5 miles per hour, whthout ANY stops for gas, rest room or food. Ye old boss is a storyteller, methinks!
That would be something in a Model T alright!

In 1970 I came home on leave from Fort Bliss and drove 1,500 miles in 24 hours in my 1950 Studebaker Commander. Drove non-stop with only a few quick gas stops and eating snacks while driving. I'd never try that again, and probably couldn't do it again, even if I tried.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:35 AM   #14
CarlG

On our "Summer Solstace" tour this year, Anchorage to Fairbanks = 359 miles Return trip was Fairbanks to Valdez = 363 miles. Both legs contained construction delays as well as mountain passes. One day each way, about 11 hours including gas, rest, and eat stops as well as a couple of stops for mechanicals (fan belts, vapor locks, overheating, etc). About a dozen cars made the trip, all had more than one occupant, and all made it back home under their own power. I might add that there were a couple of days between the trip up and the trip back which gave us ample time to recover.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:21 AM   #15
dr.j

I've travelled over 350 miles a day several times however it was not plus 80F and windy. I find the heat and cross winds make the trip more difficult especially with the windshield open an inch and the windows down to keep cool.
1928 Tudor
dr.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:06 AM   #16
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
A stock model a could easily do 350 in a day of driving...not sight seeing and driving. The most my grandpa drove in a day was 535. I haven'thad the opportunity to beat that yet. But my old boss drove 900 miles and some change in one day in a model T. So 350 should be easy in an A.
Logan, I just this weekend did 935 miles in my Dodge Dually pulling my T from Rutland,VT to Asheville.NC and it took from 8AM Saturday till 3AM Sunday with only 2 fuel stops and 2 food stops. I was dog tired and was glad I didn't have another mile to go. I agree with 40 Deluxe .
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #17
Clem Clement

Colonel,
Us old Colonels need a potty break abour once an hour. The shake and bake of a Model A is the exact frequency to motivate a lady's kidney's into action and men's as well. Take a break often and enjoy the crowd that will gather each time you stop. Plus at 40 mph there is lots of road side things to enjoy as well. Safe trip. I suggest two days at least.
Clem Clement
Colonel, USAF, Retd.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:23 AM   #18
Keith True

It's not something I would want to try now.I'm too folded up in an A to sit in one too long at a stretch.Years ago I would do 1000 a day in a truck.Most of the time I could do it in 20 hours.Now I can't even imagine doing it.250 HP,10 speed,once I got up to speed I didn't want to slow down.That was a while ago,I carried 600 gallons of fuel and it cost me $240.to fill up.It doesn't matter how good your A is,it is still an A and you have to actually drive it,not just aim it like a modern car.I would just go until I felt like stopping,1/4 trip,1/2 trip,or whole trip.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:12 AM   #19
Clydes 31 P/U

If I may borrow a quote from "Miss Sally" from the movie "Cars" and tweak it just abit " I don't drive a Model A to make great time, I drive it to HAVE a great time" . Just my take on owning an A....... take 2 days and if you see an interesting spot you can stop and see it.......Good Luck and have a ball....Clyde
Clydes 31 P/U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:23 AM   #20
Napa Skip

If the objective is to get from point A to point B and you just happen to be driving your Model A, then do the one-day thing and be done with it.

If the objective is to take a trip in your Model A (as in, "Say, why don't we take the "A" and drive to...) then I'm with the "take 2 days" crowd (maybe even 3 days, depending on the where, why and when of the trip).

When all is said and done, I suspect you'll remember the 2-day trip better than the straight-thru-we-did-350-miles-in-one-day! trip. [Well, you might remember the 1-day trip 'better' if you need assistance in extracting yourself from the driver's seat at the end of the trip, so maybe I should have said "...you'll remember the 2-day trip more fondly..."]
MARC of San Diego (1977-1978)
MAFCA (since 1978)
MARC (since 1977)
----------
Model A owners belong in their Model A’s; Model A’s belong on the road.
Napa Skip is offline   Reply With Quote