Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-21-2011, 12:52 AM   #1
Jaybull

Default Emergency brake band locking on drum

Hello all, is it common to need to remove material from new rear drums in order to get the emergency brake bands to clear? I don't have any of the old parts to compare (basket case) so maybe there are different drum sizes?

Here's whats up: regular brakes are all new and work fine, new cast iron drums, old emergency bands (don't seem too thick), all new springs, pins, rollers, etc. greased everything good. E.brake bands tight to carrier all around and toward the backing plate. Actuating lever at proper angle compared to other cars. Springs attached to outside triangle.

O.k., so I put the rear drums on without e-brake bands in there and everything is happy, brakes are adjustable, drums spin free, all good. With emergency brake parts installed in the hubs, hubs are locked up and can get almost no movement out of the e-brake actuating lever. Both sides behaving the same way.

My searching came up with one fix is to grind the stops on the bands so that they can retract to a smaller diameter. I don't see that as an option because the bands are drawn down tight against the carriers.

So, should I have the drums turned in the e-brake area and how much material should be removed? Kind of hard to remove a little at a time and see if it has enough clearance because I'll have to take the drums somewhere to have the work done.

Thanks for any help!
Jaybull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:15 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Emergency brake band locking on drum

Are you sure the e-brake is fully released, so the band is up tight to the carrier stops? I wouldn't modify an original part. It was good when it left the factory, so the problem is with the lining being too thick, or the drum too small, or the e-brake not fully released. Measure the drum e-brake inside diameter and measure e-brake outside lining diameter , then decide which needs to be corrected.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
Mike

The e-brake lining from brattons,snyders etc are all to thick. After installing them on the band, I carefully put them on a belt sander and take off 1/3 of the lining. Then they slip right on to the drum

mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
Brian T

Mike is correct, the E-brake lining that Brattons and Snyders carry is 1/4 thick, one of the guys on FMAATC questioned Brattons on this and the reply was, we hadnt had a problem with it, he found the 3/16 lining at http://www.brakeplace.com/ for much less than Brattons.
Brattons again responded and told him that they had researched the archives and found that the thickness was indeed 3/16.
Brian T is offline   Reply With Quote