Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-01-2014, 08:14 AM   #1
CC33

Default '33 Torque Tube Removal

This month I plan on addressing the gear oil leak traveling up the tube from the differential. I want to replace the seal in the tube. I have removed the rear axle and drive shaft assembly from the transmission before.
My question is, what is the process on removing the tube from the rear and removing the drive shaft?
What other parts should I order in addition to the seal, and have prior to starting this?

Many thanks.
CC33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:39 AM   #2
DICK SPADARO

Default Re: '33 Torque Tube Removal

There is no seal in a 33 torque tube,if you have oil up the tube your rear axle housing banjo must be higher than the torque tube trans mount and oil is running into the tube thru the differential bearing. There is no seal for this issue, At one time there was a seal made made up as a hot rod version but the easiest cure is a buffer plate made out of .020 sheet aluminum with a hole for the pinion shaft that serves as the torque tube to banjo gasket and acts as a dam to keep the oil from running into the tube. In any case your rear end has the torque tube pointing down hill and that creates the issue.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:20 AM   #3
Andy

Maybe his front seal is shot? Steep driveway or hills? I would replace the seal if the rear is apart. It can be knocked out fairly easily but putting one in takes a tool. I made one from some EMT and a washer. I put tape on the tube to get it to the right dia.
To pull the torque tube, remove the snap ring from the input and remove the speedo drive gear and bearing. There is no need to remove the driveshaft. You need the torque tube gaskets, the clam shell gaskets and the seal.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:27 AM   #4
rotorwrench

Some one used to make a baffle simlar to what Dick mentioned but I believe it was a close fit to the inside of the torque tube and would probably only work on the 35 & later torque tubes with the uniform inside diameter. Those early ones taper a good bit. A person would need to park on a hill now and then to let the gear lube drain back into the axle.

You have to jack the car from the frame then disconnect and remove the whole rear drive assembly from under the vehicle. Then you can remove the tube & shaft. You could likely fabricate the plate that Dick is refering to after some study of how it will fit and work in there.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:25 AM   #5
Mart

Unless I have read your post wrong, I don't think you need to disturb the shaft. The shaft can stay on the axle and you can just remove the tube. You need to release a circlip at the front to drop out the speedo gear and allow the shaft to pass through the bearing.

The seal at the front of the tube is arranged to keep grease in the uj rather than oil in the axle. This was all discussed in a recent post.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:55 PM   #6
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I would say its trans oil getting into the shaft .

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:09 PM   #7
CC33

When looking at the exploded view of the "Ford Rear Axle Assembly Typical for 1932 to 1937 Passenger Car and Light Truck", it shows part #4245 Grease Seal sitting behind part #4655 Roller Bearing Sleeve. Isn't the grease seal there to prevent rear axle fluid from creeping forward?
I checked the transmission when we had it apart last year. It was not leaking fluid back into the tube.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:23 PM   #8
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC33 View Post
When looking at the exploded view of the "Ford Rear Axle Assembly Typical for 1932 to 1937 Passenger Car and Light Truck", it shows part #4245 Grease Seal sitting behind part #4655 Roller Bearing Sleeve. Isn't the grease seal there to prevent rear axle fluid from creeping forward?
I checked the transmission when we had it apart last year. It was not leaking fluid back into the tube.
No, keeps grease and oil from the trans and u-joint area from going back.

Bob
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:52 PM   #9
CC33

OK, I was misinformed. I will be contacting Bruce's Rod Shop for the kit that he offers.
Thank you all.