Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-08-2023, 08:45 PM   #41
47Monarch

Default Re: Remember Pearl Harbor

Sorry but the USA did not fight the Japanese and Nazis all by themselves it was a world effort against a common evil
47Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 08:52 PM   #42
Ken/Alabama

The Greatest Generation!! 19 Years before I was born and my my dad was too young but he later got drafted in 1951. I have the upmost respect for all those that served. If that happened today I just don’t think the young generation of today is willing to pull together.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 09:01 PM   #43
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47Monarch View Post
Sorry but the USA did not fight the Japanese and Nazis all by themselves it was a world effort against a common evil
This is absolutely true, and speaking for all Americans, my (our) apologies for the wrong thinking before we entered the war. FDR made the correct decision in allowing the "surprise" attack in order to bring us into the fray.
Old 12-08-2023, 09:18 PM   #44
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47Monarch View Post
Often forgotten or ignored my ANZAC friend.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 09:25 PM   #45
Ken/Alabama

I received this from a very good friend of mine who was a retired Air Force colonel.

Recieved this email from a good friend of mine. It is so true . I wasn't a member of the Greatest Generation, but I had the honor and pleasure to serve with and know a number who were. One flew C-47s and dropped paratroopers and towed gliders on D-Day. One flew Spitfires and Mustangs and became an Ace. Two flew P-40s in North Africa and downed Messerschmitts. One slogged through ground fighting in the Pacific islands. One flew as a gunner on a B-25. One said the P-39 was the best airplane he ever flew. One flew a B-24 and was seriously burned. One flew a P-51 as a wingman. Two were shot down over Europe, one escaped, while one spent time in a Stalag. One broke his back parachuting from a B-24. One was a B-17 co-pilot to Regensburg. One flew the Hump in C-46s in Burma and China. One flew Beaufighters out of England. One landed at Omaha Beach. One was a private at Schofield Barracks at Pearl Harbor when the Japanese attacked. One was a Marine guard to the 'code talkers.' Two, so young from their flight school pictures, I wouldn't have loaned them my car, flew P-47s. The Greatest Generation is legend. We have a few Iron men now, but not a generation of Iron men. A generation of self indulgent television watchers, iPad surfers, iPhone users, tweeters, face bookers, and inane X-Box game players is not a generation of Iron men. Where will we get "such men" when we need them? And, we will need them.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 09:53 PM   #46
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme / New Zealand View Post
Often forgotten or ignored my ANZAC friend.

GB
You are correct. It took all of the Allies to overcome the evil. To this day no one can do it by themselves.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 07:53 PM   #47
v8nut

A couple of years ago I drove my 1939 Ford Convertible Sedan in the San Jose Veteran's Day Parade. Our club was asked to carry Pearl Harbour survivors. They were lined up at the curb and we picked them up in turn. When I got a chance I introduced myself and asked the gentleman for his name and what happened to him that day. He said he was stationed on the Arizona. I asked him just how he survived. He said he swam off. It always chokes me up to tell his story. Jim in San Jose
v8nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 01:29 AM   #48
Lawrie

I have a good mate ,(deceased) who always took an old digger who wrote a book on his fighting in the pacific, to the ANZAC parade in his A,
I have read his book, makes you realise how damm lucky we are that we had them around .
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 12:19 PM   #49
wga

Stationed at Pearl Harbor, saw the Memorial every day we were in port, as we were tied up along Bravo Pier.
Old 12-11-2023, 06:45 PM   #50
koates

Many nations pulled together to defeat the Nazis and the Japs, but I acknowledge the Americans did the heavy lifting and massive supply of their fantastic equipment. Lest we forget their great sacrifice. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 01:37 AM   #51
GB SISSON

Nicely said, Mr. Koates. I think it was a fearful Yamamoto that suggested "We may have awoken a sleeping Giant". He did not know how absolutely true that statement was at the time, but in relatively short order a couple of screaming P-38s summed it up for him.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 12:53 PM   #52
acchaplin

Interisting note. There is a mini series from HBO, "The Plot Against America"

Tells what might have happened, if Pearl Harbor did not happen. Henry Ford was Secertary Of Defence, and Linberg had won the (2nd?) Presidential election over FDR,,,,,,,.

Not to give much of the mini series plot away. But Ford and Lindberg in real life were both somewhat anti semetic and favored Hitler's Facisism Program.
acchaplin is offline   Reply With Quote