Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-09-2010, 05:26 PM   #1
krswen

Default Introducing myself

Hi .. my name is Ken and I'm about to retire up in northern California. I'd like to get a Model A to piddle with. I'm a mechanical engineer with decades of experience restoring cars and motorcycles, so I'm looking forward to having something relatively simple to work on, but which in my opinion, has timeless beauty. It's something my 91 year old dad and I can do together as well.
Haven't really decided an which body style yet. We'd like something to haul the grandkids around in. It never gets really warm up in Eureka and is cool and foggy in the winter. What arrangements did Model A's have for a heater? How about wipers?
Recommendations or thoughts?
krswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
Old182

Default Re: Introducing myself

Welcome, and happy retirement! Based on what you wrote, perhaps a sedan would be preferrable to an open car because they tend to stay warmer and the grandkids can be inside. It's your choice as to the year and whether you like Tudors, Fordors, or one of the more special models (others will give you much more detail, I'm sure). I believe most had vacuum wipers, some had electric, and commercials had hand-operated. It's been my experience that a healthy coat of RainX will do a much better job of removing water from the windshield than any of the wipers . Cabin heating was accomplished with a special exhaust manifold that had a series of fins cast into the top, over which a cast iron "tube" was bolted. This took fan air, heated it as it passed over the manifold and routed it inside through a flapper door in the firewall that was adjustable (sort of). Naturally, any fumes, dirt, bugs, etc. came in with the hot air. You will find that, although these are among the simplest cars on the planet, their quirks and personalities at times can try the best of minds. But once problems are identified, they are generally "simple" fixes. This forum will become one of the best sources of information and knowledge you'll find anywhere. Good luck!
Old182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:49 PM   #3
TK in LA

Welcome Ken!! Some Model A's did have heaters and some didn't. All A's had wipers. Some Vacuum some electric. Sedans and kids work well as do coupes with rumble seats but they can be a little more dangerous in terms of falling out. 4drs work well with families but unless you get a real nice one the cost of restoring the wood is prohibitive. Check out the Swap section for some cars for sale. Also look on Craig's List if your looking for something local. Again, Welcome to the wonderful world of Model "A"'s
The Sedan is 4 Sale
Tom K.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30s1.jpg (82.5 KB, 34 views)
TK in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
krswen

Thanks for the quick response and kind words! What books would you recommend to increase my knowledge (the more technical the better)?
Ken
krswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:58 PM   #5
peters180a/170b

If i was looking for a Model "A" for whats its worth, a 1930/31 Fordor sedan , a old restored car runs and drive's well /// wood solid[ check on all doors on how they shut and open.Heater you can add and update electric windshield wiper motor if car does not have them. DON'T RUSH and TAKE YOU TIME LOOKING. Go to a car show and ask a owner if you can sit inside one to get the feeling behind the wheel.... Then [WELCOME ABOARD]
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:11 PM   #6
mrtexas

You'll get lots of answers to this one!

If you enjoy driving rather than restoring more, the cheapest thing you could do is find one in the condition you like and buy it. If you enjoy restoring more, you'll spend far more money restoring than buying a restored example.

There are lots of older restorations out there. IMHO that would be a good place to start if you want to work on one. In my case, I changed my mind after I bought one and decided I wanted one in better condition. I have an older restoration currently all apart in a million pieces building it to better standards and a nicer paint job. I bought a 29 roadster and decided to repaint/disassemble and then I bought a 28 open cab pickup to drive while I am restoring the 29.

Many model As are basically a wooden body covered with metal. I believe the 31 slant window Fordors got rid of most of the wood. My 29 roadster has no structural wood. The Cabriolets are similar to a roadster but have roll up windows and lots of wood.

You might check out this links:
http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/nomac/buy.htm

my web site for what it's worth
http://members.fortunecity.com/pjsauber/

http://www.plucks329s.org/studies/st...&r%20apps.html
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:34 PM   #7
Steve Plucker
BANNED

KEN,

TODAY IS YOUR LUCKY DAY!

Did you know that there is a Model A Ford Club of America (MAFCA) chapter in Eureka, CA?

They are called Humbolt Bay A's.

Here are a few names to get you started:

Larry Bowermaster
Robert Edwards
Chuck Ellsworth
Gilbert Groszmann
Ken and Beth Johnson
Pete Johnston
Leroy Marsh
Phil McCartney
John Smeltzer
Doug Vieyra
Paul Wright

Maybe you can find some of them in the pone book.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:59 PM   #8
roadster

Humboldt Bay A's - MAFCA
Jack Fleek
PO Box 6664
Eureka, CA 95502
707-839-3660
roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:57 PM   #9
Frank Nemo

You asked about books about the Model A. Here are my thoughts, The Model A Judging Standards and Restoration Guidlines, All three of Les Andrews books on the Model A and the Model A Service Bulletins. All of these are available thru any of the major Model A Vendors or on line.

Have a great time in your retirement with your Dad and a Model A. That is a real great combination. At age 91 I'll bet Dad will have some of the inside scoop on our favorite car, the Model A.
Frank Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #10
Chris in WNC

Default make haste slowly.

join the local club.

ride in and drive several body styles to decide which one is right for you.

you also have to decide whether you want a show-quality car or a fun driver (it CAN be both!).
Chris in WNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:35 PM   #11
Michael in Sedona

I highly recommend that you seek out your closest Model A Club and talk to a few of the members about their cars and why they prefer a certain model. If you want to take more than one other person along in the car, and the weather is mostly on the cool side, a Tudor Sedan or Fordor Sedan would probably be the best fit. Depending on your height, a later model year might offer adjustable front seats. My '29 Tudor Sedan seats are not adjustable.

As mentioned by others, the '31 Slantwindow Fordor Sedan bodies are mostly steel, so replacement of the sub-body wood frame is not a major issue.

As for books, I recommend Les Andrews' books, The Model A Ford Mechanics Handbook, Vols I and II, and the Service Bulletins. I use Les Andrews' books whenever I work on my A's, and have basically taught myself how to maintain the cars and fix most problems that have come up.

Heaters were, to the best of my knowledge, an aftermarket item and are readily available. Most of them that I've seen are a tube, usually square, that fits over the exhaust manifold. The engine fan blows air through the tube, which is attached to a hole in the firewall. How's that for mechanical engineering 101? One of mine has a vacuum wiper, and the other has a manual wiper. As mentioned before, Rain-X does just as good.

Before you settle on a particular body style and get ready to buy, I highly recommend that you have an experienced Model A owner go along with you to evaluate the car. I did that when buying 2 different Model A's, and am very glad that I did.

And finally, welcome to the hobby!
Michael in Sedona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:01 PM   #12
Sargis3

welcome ken! congrats on retirement. model a's are alot of fun, and frustrating. i have a 29 steelback which is a fordor sedan and my dad has a 29 standard coupe. the couple is fun for two people and 2 more in the rumble seat, just dont get caught in the rain with people in the rumble seat. if i was to buy another car it would be a town sedan. there a little bit more roomy. probably a 30-31. i dont have a heater but the car does get pretty warm inside. i do have a windsheild wiper but like everyone else rain-x is a better solution, the wiper really doesnt do much. and books i would get the judging standards and the mechanics vol I and II. i also would go to your local club meeting and tell them your interested in buying an a and have them show you the ropes and ask to sit in them and take a ride. then you could choose what fits your needs. hope that helps and welcome again.
Sargis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:06 PM   #13
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Let me add my welcome to the others!!

As it appears to be a local club, join it. Go to the events, ask if anyone needs help working on theirs. Ask for a driving lesson (even if you already know how to drive one).

In short order you will be ready to purchase your own and have a club to help with the work and choice of car.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:17 AM   #14
Steve Wastler

Welcome and as a rule of thumb, Model A's are like tattoo's once you get one you can't wait to get another.......Enjoy the hobby
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #15
Brubaker

Welcome Ken,
I jumped in with both feet myself a couple years back. Fun stuff! A town sedan would be great hauling the family around, but a convertible would be nice driving through the redwoods. Tough call.
All the books previously mentioned are(have been) very helpful. The Ford Model 'A' "As Henry Built It" also a fun read. The magazines(Restorer,Model A News,Model A Times) are worth a look.
Keep an eye out in a couple weeks for a flood of 'A's driving through Eureka. Major convention in Vancouver. Maybe a good opportunity to 'get a ride'. A sign reading "will trade smoked salmon for an 'A' ride" should do the trick.

Good Luck!
Brubaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #16
CWPASADENA

Welcome to the Hobby;

Getting in touch with a Local Model A Chapter is a very good place to start. At one of their meetings, you will have a chance to look over and "Try On" several body styles.

For hauling small kids where the weather is not always warm and dry, I would consider a Tudor. They have lots of room in them and the little ones will not fall out when there are in the back. They are easy to restore with no wood in the lower body structure. The doors are big which makes them easy to get into and out of and the front seats can easily be moved back to allow more leg room if you need it.

At a later date, you may want an open car for when it is nice weather. Remember, Your first Model A may not always be your only Model A.

Just my opinion.

Chris
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:45 AM   #17
John LaVoy

The Model A Times summer tour to Vancouver BC will be passing through Eureka on July 27th on our way to spend the night in Crescent City. We are staying at the Curley Redwood Lodge 701 Redwood Highway Crescent City. If you want to talk to some people that do some long distance touring stop by around 5 in the evening when we are having our driver's meeting in the parking lot.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #18
Dennis L Oberer

Hi and welcome. I would recommend a tudor sedan as they are easiest to find, have loads of leg room for the driver (or the bucket seats can be easily moved back) lots of room in the back for passengers.

As far as heat use a hot water heater if you dont mind adapting one to suit...the manifold heaters are a pain and ugly. Email me for info on how I installed one in mine.

As for ventilating an A doesnt have any way to keep the windshield from fogging up without driving with it partly open.

I added a pair of electic fans up inside the front corners of the cabin and they keep the windshield clean of fog when it rains or the temps create a steamy windshield. Email me for pics.

The A wiper is vacuum so be sure to restore that or when you step on the gas the wiper will stop wherever it is.

And...INSTALL SEAT BELTS FOR EVERYBODY.....AND DUAL TAIL LIGHTS AND DIRECTIONAL SIGNALS....SAFETY IS NUMBER ONE....

IMHO

Dennis L Oberer
Green Bay WI
Dennis L Oberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:43 AM   #19
30Tudor

I totally agree with the idea of taking your time and also getting involved with a club and doing your research before you hop in with both feet.

I did a lot of independent research on Model A’s and my first car was a roadster pickup. Although it was a great looking unit, it was impractical as a driver. It was hard to get in and out of and obviously only could fit a passenger.

Through a club member I was introduced via a friend of a friend of a cousin’s father to a ’30 Tudor. The body and the paint on the car was immaculate which are areas that I have learned previously the hard way that I don’t really want to tackle. The mechanical side/drive train was in OK condition so at least it was drivable to begin with. I have since rebuilt everything on the drive train with the exception of the rearend (on the slate for this fall). One of the first things I tackled was all the safety related items starting with seatbelts and the brakes. I have spent a lot of time and money on the car, however, fortunately I bought the car at a decent price.

I would recommend the MAFCA classified as a good starting point for a search. Not only are the prices in line, since the sellers belong to clubs you can get a lot of good independent references on the condition of the car and how it has been rebuilt or maintained.

The other area was that through the local club I was introduced to Glenn C who is a contributor to the forum. He has become my mentor and has helped me tremendously with everything. We have a lot of fun working together (on both our cars), thinking through challenges and debating fixes. We both like to experiment with crazy things like alternators, alternative carburetors and rebuilding methods so that makes things interesting.

People in this hobby are more than willing to help if you are willing to put in the time and work with them. Where the issues have developed in our club is when people expect club members to fix or rebuild their cars for free while they sit back and watch. As you can see, the fordbarn members are also a termendous resource.

After the Tudor, my next choices would be a Victoria or a ’31 slant window Fordor.

I have really enjoyed this hobby and have learned a lot. It’s been a great ride.
30Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote