Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-02-2024, 01:15 PM   #1
tom1948

Default off-topic, but...

I was looking through youtube videos yesterday and saw there is a guy in Cali who coverts classics(the one in the video was a "49 Merc ) to electric. My opinion on this is: anyone who does this should be sterilized so they can't pass this affliction on to the next generation. Any other opinions?
tom1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 01:39 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: off-topic, but...

Tom: Here ya go.
https://www.motortrend.com/features/...2018-mtsema18/
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 01:59 PM   #3
deuce_roadster

It remines me of the people who put a plastic Lamborghini looking body on a VW belly pan. Why?
Not everything that could be done, should be.
The carbon footprint of making the battery and the fact that most of the electricity in the country is generated by burning coal or some other carbon based fuel FAR exceeds the pollution generated by the few miles I drive my old cars, Ford or Brand X.

Last edited by deuce_roadster; 02-02-2024 at 02:04 PM.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 02:10 PM   #4
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
It remines me of the people who put a plastic Lamborghini looking body on a VW belly pan. Why?
Not everything that could be done, should be.
The carbon footprint of making the battery and the fact that most of the electricity in the country is generated by burning coal or some other carbon based fuel FAR exceeds the pollution generated by the few miles I drive my old cars, Ford or Brand X.
My thoughts exactly.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 02:19 PM   #5
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 02:25 PM   #6
cas3

Prolly sits so low due to the weight of the battery, ya think!
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 02:41 PM   #7
Tim Ayers

Underneath are dual AM Racing permanent magnetic electric motors producing a combined 400 horsepower and 470 ft-lb of torque which are capable of whirring the machine to 120mph with approximately 150 to 200 miles of range.

All that for 400 hp and 150-200 miles of range? Hard pass.
Old 02-02-2024, 02:50 PM   #8
falconedsel

Its a new generation of builders...
falconedsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 02:54 PM   #9
Gene1949

Gentlemen, Our sport/hobby is not just for purists as some would like it to be. The EV Merc is just an exercise demonstration. So is 3 duces or aluminum heads or dual points or cutting up a script battery to HIDE a modern battery. The list goes on.
The EV/battery technology is emerging weather we like it or not.

I installed 8kw in solar panels. My light bill last year was $240 dollars (connection fees) and my wife it trying to kill me with pneumonia here in the desert SW. Can you imagine how much pollution those KWHs would have generated using fossil fuels vs the pollution to construct those panels??

No gentlemen, the technology isn't for everyone but it's coming.
Gene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 03:35 PM   #10
Hitman

I"m always surprised when car hobbyists bash another hobbyist because one doesn't like the style of the other. It's like hating on the guy with a well restored, stock Chrysler Airflow, just because it's not a Ford. We're all going after the same goals, just pick a different look and path to get there. Honestly, some of these builders like Icon and Singer do more for the hobby than you or I do. They will do more for us to keep our cars on the roads with minimal regulation that anyone on this site can do. It's a hobby, and we're part of it.

You should check out their website and there builds. Seriously impressive stuff! No I don't want one, but I respect their work and style.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 03:40 PM   #11
Hartman427

Yes electric cars are cool but, I’m not pay35k to do it. I think it won’t be widespread until the cost comes down
Hartman427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 03:59 PM   #12
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
I"m always surprised when car hobbyists bash another hobbyist because one doesn't like the style of the other. It's like hating on the guy with a well restored, stock Chrysler Airflow, just because it's not a Ford. We're all going after the same goals, just pick a different look and path to get there. Honestly, some of these builders like Icon and Singer do more for the hobby than you or I do. They will do more for us to keep our cars on the roads with minimal regulation that anyone on this site can do. It's a hobby, and we're part of it.

You should check out their website and there builds. Seriously impressive stuff! No I don't want one, but I respect their work and style.
There is more to the EV game than craftsmanship of boutique builders or the future of automobiles.

This sight is for talking about old Fords and cars and not for political agendas, so I'll end my comment right here.
Old 02-03-2024, 06:08 AM   #13
big job

Here is my proof! I was given a golf cart in good shape. 36 volts in good shape. Wife driving constantly with dog. Plug the thing in every day all night. Watch my electric meter spin and my head to spin getting the bill. Gave that away and bought a gas cart. I swear it can run all month on a quart of gas till this day. A small example. a large example, a common fleet of say 25 school busses plugged in all night times the whole country? ain't going to happen without more power plants!
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 09:15 AM   #14
Ol' Ron

Gota Keep him, they thought Edison was crazy too! But it's guys like him that come up with something that frees ys from plowing our fields my hand. Just remember pobodies nerfect???
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 11:11 AM   #15
deuce_roadster

Well, I guess this forum is no longer just about flatheads and keeping them on the road. There must be a forum for electric cars somewhere that Merc would be appropriate. Old Fords with BBC and SBC engines in the past were encouraged to go elsewhere, so why not this? Just My 2cents. I won't waste any more time on this subject.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 01:31 PM   #16
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by big job View Post
Here is my proof! I was given a golf cart in good shape. 36 volts in good shape. Wife driving constantly with dog. Plug the thing in every day all night. Watch my electric meter spin and my head to spin getting the bill. Gave that away and bought a gas cart. I swear it can run all month on a quart of gas till this day. A small example. a large example, a common fleet of say 25 school busses plugged in all night times the whole country? ain't going to happen without more power plants!
Exactly. That is my point. There is so much involved in "going electric", but people don't want to talk about that reality.
Old 02-03-2024, 09:58 PM   #17
tubman

To add a little humor to this thread, I thought you guys might enjoy this shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tesla.jpg (45.3 KB, 59 views)
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 10:35 PM   #18
jplutz

All these restomods have fake patina painted on the new body parts.
If you want to see real patina, sneak up on my Buelah! The rust is real and jagged and hurts, and the top coat is peeling off like sunburned skin. Every time I pick some off, more grows. And she ain't house broken yet...she bites!!
If you have old paint, keep it if you want that look, don't fake it over new hoods and fenders. JPL
jplutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 11:21 PM   #19
oldbugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
And it looks to be a FORD
oldbugger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 12:46 AM   #20
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Thanks Denny.Truly an awesome photo. We needed a little humor here and you delivered. G'nite all.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote