Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
Hank the 36

Default Passenger side door locking question

On my '36 coupe if I lock the passenger side door from the inside I can not unlock it from the outside using the key, is this normal ? If I lock the passenger side door with the key from the outside it works fine.
How should it really be ?
Thanks,
H36

Thank you,
H36
Hank the 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Passenger side door locking question

When your wife is mad at you, run hide in your '36 and lock the door from the inside. Just hope she isn't chasing you with her steam iron!

Yeah, that's the way it's supposed to work.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank the 36 View Post
On my '36 coupe if I lock the passenger side door from the inside I can not unlock it from the outside using the key, is this normal ? If I lock the passenger side door with the key from the outside it works fine.
How should it really be ?
Thanks,
H36
Everything is working just the way Henry designed it.
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #4
Hank the 36

I guess it was a lesson learned when I locked myself out of my car in my very own driveway !! Do you know why he designed it to work this way ?
H36
Thank you guys for the fast response !

Thank you,
H36
Old 03-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
40cpe

The spring that holds the inner door handle in lock position on the driver side of my '40 is kinda weak. If it is locked I can jiggle the outside handle a few times and it will unlock. It has kept me from locking myself out a couple of times.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
JM 35 Sedan

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Here is what could possibly happen to you some day....but I really hope it doesn't!!

http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38377&page=5

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:30 PM   #7
Hank the 36

JM 35, luckily I didn't have to poke a hole in my window, but after much frustration I figured out a way to get into my car without any damage. I thought it was just me locking myself out.

Thank you,
H36
Old 03-15-2012, 02:44 AM   #8
flatheadfan

Hank-

What you describe is (unfortunately), very common on old Fords. When it happens you don't have very many options short of breaking a window. A few months ago I wrote-up a "preventive cure." If you get a chance you may want to look it over. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56940

Tom

Last edited by flatheadfan; 03-15-2012 at 03:53 AM.
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:15 AM   #9
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank the 36 View Post
JM 35, luckily I didn't have to poke a hole in my window, but after much frustration I figured out a way to get into my car without any damage. I thought it was just me locking myself out.
Hank, If that had happened at home I could have gotten in without having to punch a hole through that window. I knew a way to get in but did not have the right tools and equipment with me. That window glass was already cracked but it still hurt me to punch that hole. Neither of my front doors can be locked from outside the car by pulling the handle up, into the lock position, and then closing the door. If I do this the internal locking mechanism automatically returns the inside handle to the unlocked position. Now the rear doors can both be locked from outside by putting handle in the up/lock position and closing the door. Therein lies the reason I was able to put all handle levers in the lock position by access through a rear door and then close that door which completely locked the car and it could not be opened by unlocking the front passenger side door lock cylinder with a key. Lesson learned the hard way for me.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:06 AM   #10
barryfromvictoria

Hank --- If the remotes are working properly you can`t lock yourself out. If you flip your handle into the lock position and shut the door the latch will pull the remote into the unlock position and the spring will snap into the cam detent and hold the handle in the open position. Nearly always the remote springs are broken, missing, or weak and or the cam detents are worn in the remote. Then the handle has a mind of its own can easily flop or stay in the lock position when you shut the door. the key only unlocks the latch not the remote. ---Barry
barryfromvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote