Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-13-2011, 10:49 PM   #1
BobM

Default Math for valve to head clearance?

Offy heads with valve pockets .425" deep, compressed copper gasket .062" and net lift .361"; the math says I should have valve to head clearance of .126". When I clay I get .090". Have I left something out in my calculations? My valve pocket depth varies; should it be uniform all around or is the pocket cut on an angle? When I clayed I did so at the .425 depth.
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:46 PM   #2
BillM

Default Re: Math for valve to head clearance?

Your numbers imply that the top of the valve rises .397" above the surface of the block. Is the top surface of the valve above the block surface when closed?
Old 12-14-2011, 12:17 AM   #3
BobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
Your numbers imply that the top of the valve rises .397" above the surface of the block. Is the top surface of the valve above the block surface when closed?
Bill, the top section of the valve on the seat I measured does sit above the deck; that explains it! Thanks for responding, Bob

Last edited by BobM; 12-14-2011 at 12:22 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:26 AM   #4
JWL
Member Emeritus

Bob, you told me last week that my email on this subject, were I explained the valve top, above deck dimension, has to be considered, cleared up your math problem and you were now within .008 of an inch??

Has something happened to change your readings?
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:14 PM   #5
BobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWL View Post
Bob, you told me last week that my email on this subject, were I explained the valve top, above deck dimension, has to be considered, cleared up your math problem and you were now within .008 of an inch??

Has something happened to change your readings?
John, we had discussed this very problem and I failed to link what you pointed out to me as to how it would relate to my valve to head clearance. Last night in a very cold garage (excuse) I came up with a net lift of .361" when actually it is .353" as we discussed earlier. The .361" lift worked out perfectly with pencil and paper and gave me the exact answer that coincided with the .090" I got when I measured the alumna pea ( .425" valve pocket depth + .062 gasket - .361" net lift -.036" for valve above the deck.) Now with the correct net lift of .353" I'm back to the missing .008"; you stated that a reground cam could account to up to .004" discrepancy; so that leaves me with for me an unexplained .004" somewhere. As I'm writing this post am going back and forth to the garage & computer to verify my measurements and now have discovered the upper section of the valve sits .040" above the deck. Now with that measurement I don't have the missing .004" that I described above. Thanks for taking an interest in this for me; am a slow learner but will eventually get it. Bob