Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-30-2011, 06:41 AM   #1
allen

Send a message via ICQ to allen
Default 27 runs bad or is it

Hi guys as stated earlier I'm new to the t have Model A"s for years never had a t, took my 27 down the road, Kept in mind it has been sitting for years super clean car but in my mind does not run right no power and i know my hp is cut in half but still the smallest of hills take a effort full throttle, when turn the gav in it starts to backfire runs better on battery than mag (will cut out ) stock ever thing would love to kept it that way. My buddies telling me I have throw away the mag and buzz box and head to get power top speed was 30 wide open and on flat ground, does not over heat fires up half a turn, just seems to be cutting out and not getting full hp, what should the cp reading be. maybe a low cylinder thanks for all you guys do AL
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:03 AM   #2
Doug Money

Default Re: 27 runs bad or is it

If it has been sitting for years, it needs the carb cleaned and fresh gas. It needs the coils tuned up. Check the mag output voltage. You mentioned that it runs better on battery than mag, usually an indication of misadjusted points or weak mag. Check mag output to see if it has a dirty connection or the magnets need charging. It will run fine if it is in tune. I have a fordor the heaviest of all and it will run 50 if I need to. Most of the people that get rid of the mag and coils do so, because they don't know how they work.
Doug Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
redmodelt

I will use a distributor if there is a need, but there is nothing like the merry buzz of the coils when all is good in the world.
To check the mag: get a get a auto type socket with two leads coming out of it. Lengthen the leads and add alligator clips to each end. Using a single filament 12v bulb in your test set up connect one end to the out put post and the other to ground. You should get a faint glow at idle and should get brighter as the rpm's are increased. Now using an "ANALOG" meter you can check the AC volt output. The light bulb is taking the place of the coils as a load so that stays on while checking. A good mag can put out 30+ AC volts at the top engine rpm.
If you don't have the tools to check the coils right I would suggest sending them to one of the coil repair people listed at the Ford Model T Club of America web site.
While you are waiting for the coils to come back you could check out the every thing to be ready to install them and go for a drive with a smile on your face.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/8538.html
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
redmodelt

Went back and re read your questions. The GVA in a Model T is a spray needle and sets how much gas is sucked into the carb. Depending on the motor, should be about 1 1/2 turns to start, could be more could be less. when the motor is warmed up set it to run smoothest. It may need to be adjusted as you drive. If it's backfiring or missing when you are closing it down you have it too lean. Your compression should be 45 to 55 on a good engine. Over 35 will run but weak. Each cylinder should be within about 5 lbs of each other.
Hills, you should retard the spark a little.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:39 PM   #5
allen

Send a message via ICQ to allen

thanks guys for the great information will start running test thanks for all the imput al
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:18 AM   #6
nhusa

Remember - a Model A is an antique car a Model T is a horseless carriage.

The T is a great hill detector.

There is nothing automatic in the T –you get to do it all – adjust the gas mixture and ignition timing as you drive to get the best operating condition.

Your running on mag problem could be either the mag or poor coils.
Some guys forget the mag and just run a battery.
I personally start the car on the battery (crank only) and switch to the mag once it is going.

Coils are very tricky so it is best to have a knowledgeable person rebuild and adjust them. The condensers usually need to be replaced and the points need “precision” adjustment
Visit the Model T Club of America forum to find guys that do a great job.

Some claim to be doing 40 – 50 mph in their T but 30 tops is common.

Cleaning and adjusting the T carb is childs play when compared to most modern carbs. Just get the MTFCA book and you’ll be an expert in no time.

Also – check the rear end thrust washers –if they are babbit replace them with bronze before you lose all ability to stop.
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote