Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-27-2023, 01:11 AM   #1
hoss73ford

Default LED lights on collector cars

I am wondering are these working ok with stock electrical systems of both 6 and 12 volts and not causing havoc?
As some of you might know the federal government is banning the sales of both incandescent and halogen lights after August 1st. I have not found any exemptions to automotive applications on their exemption lists and also will sellers such as those on e-bay be banned from selling them even though some are not classified as retailers.
Government intervention only screws things up for honest living folks.
hoss73ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 06:47 AM   #2
BW

Default Re: LED lights on collector cars

I have LED head lights and taillights on my cars. They are 12-volt negative ground. With the headlights I see better then with the halogens that I had in the cars. On the taillights, I find the boards are better than the bulbs. The person behind you can see you hit the brakes. Now on one car I had to change the flashers and the other I did not. I still run incandescent bulbs in the parking lights on both cars with No Resistors. I think it will be some time before you can't find a incandescent bulb.
BW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 08:11 AM   #3
Merc Cruzer

I have LED light through out the car: headlights, tail lights , turn signals (front and rear), my entire dash (which makes it allot easier to read at night), curiosity lights, and fog lights. No issues over the last 4 years. Mine is the original 6 volt system throughout.

It is allot easier on the generator too.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 09:17 AM   #4
5851a

Are any of the led conversions dot approved?
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 09:43 AM   #5
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post
Are any of the led conversions dot approved?
I have no idea. The requirements for classic cars in Colorado, are way less than new cars. No emissions, no function testing and I can get a 5 year license plate.

Since you are referring to the head lights. I am lucky, if I drive with them on, more than once a year. I have aimed them as close to the pattern as the old sealed beams.

This is the post, when I did the conversion, showing you the pattern with the LED headlights. :https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...22#post1796222

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0WPn8gKSpI&t=17s

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 04-28-2023 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-28-2023, 02:46 AM   #6
kiwi nz

Hi Merc Cruzer, my 54 Vicky has landed in NZ and I am trying to sort out the electrics. Sorry, your link does not advance further than where we are.

If I can fit my car out as you have done with your car it would be preferable to going 12V. Where do I start purchasing all that I need?

Regards
Geoff
kiwi nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 04:12 AM   #7
hoss73ford

Thanks for the responses. Some years back I read comments that LEDs were causing problems such as turn signal flashers either not working or burning out or LEDs not working on 6 volt systems. Perhaps they manufacture them a bit different now. I don't drive my old cars at night anyway (I live in an area where deer collisions are common usually after dark) but there's always a first time plus I don't want to get rear ended because the person said they couldn't see my brake lights.
hoss73ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 06:26 AM   #8
BW

As I said earlier, you may have to change your flasher.
BW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 07:43 AM   #9
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi nz View Post
Hi Merc Cruzer, my 54 Vicky has landed in NZ and I am trying to sort out the electrics. Sorry, your link does not advance further than where we are.

If I can fit my car out as you have done with your car it would be preferable to going 12V. Where do I start purchasing all that I need?

Regards
Geoff
My source for most of of my LED bulbs has been LEDlight in Phoenix, AZ. They have been great to work with.

https://www.ledlight.com/g18-s25-2_6...-polarity.aspx
Old 04-28-2023, 07:52 AM   #10
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW View Post
As I said earlier, you may have to change your flasher.
BW is correct. When you change all of your lights over to LED's, the current draw is not enough to use a regular flasher and you there for have to to change turn signal flasher.

It goes right in the same bracket, as the old flasher did. The only difference is that you have to ground the wire coming off the new flasher.

https://www.ledlight.com/flasher-6-v...e-chassis.aspx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flasher6v.jpg (39.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0038 (3).jpg (43.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 04-28-2023, 07:59 AM   #11
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss73ford View Post
Thanks for the responses. Some years back I read comments that LEDs were causing problems such as turn signal flashers either not working or burning out or LEDs not working on 6 volt systems. Perhaps they manufacture them a bit different now. I don't drive my old cars at night anyway (I live in an area where deer collisions are common usually after dark) but there's always a first time plus I don't want to get rear ended because the person said they couldn't see my brake lights.
I had the same issue with my brake lights. When my wife was following me in her car, she said she couldn't see my brake light or turn signals. This post might "shed some light on the issue":

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...56#post1798056
Old 04-28-2023, 09:25 AM   #12
5851a

I don't think the DOT actually does too much anymore with lighting.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 01:27 PM   #13
1930artdeco

Of the ban is true (I have not looked) I am ‘assuming’ that it will be like house where you can still specialty bulbs that are incandescent. They are a tad more expensive though. For antiques and classics that don’t get driven much a total ban doesn’t make sense. We don’t put the miles on like a modern car. But then again someone with a LOT more money than me is making the decisions.

Mike
Old 04-28-2023, 01:48 PM   #14
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss73ford View Post
... I don't want to get rear ended because the person said they couldn't see my brake lights.
I replaced the tail light lenses on my '55. The old ones were quite a bit darker than the new ones.
They should let more light thru. Might put LED bulbs in if I feel the need.

I bought a set of LED tail light panels for my '57 if I get that far.
https://www.classictbird.com/Rear-La...tinfo/13466LB/

Attached Images
File Type: jpg new & old tail light lenses c.jpg (47.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg LED tail light.JPG (91.1 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 04-28-2023 at 05:47 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 02:41 PM   #15
paul2748

For my 54 (converted to 12V),I used LED's for the dash and rear lights. The difference in the dash lights was amazing. The dash lights don't dim, but not sure if it's the LED's or the switch. I don't mind as I like the dash light as bright as they are.

For the back, the difference was not that amazing but still was better than the old bulbs.

I also installed LED's on the tail lights on my 56 Bird. While they were brighter, I didn't like how the signals worked, which was slower. I kept the regular bulbs in the front. Took out the LED's as I didn't want to go the LED flasher route. The stock lights in a 56 Bird are pretty big and give out good light.. In addition, I converted the reflector on the top of the taillight to a bulb, so plenty of coverage in the rear for tail and signal lights.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 07:07 PM   #16
1930artdeco

I painted the tail lights white in my 57 and they are bright! So not sure LEDs would be much brighter. But I have nothing to compare them to right now.

Mike
Old 04-29-2023, 07:37 PM   #17
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post
I painted the tail lights white in my 57 and they are bright! So not sure LEDs would be much brighter. But I have nothing to compare them to right now.

Mike
I went with aluminum foil for the top part (stop light and turn signal) and painting the bottom part white. Then I added the led bulb.

To say it is "night and day" would be a under statement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwQm...ature=youtu.be

Prior post: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...56#post1798056
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0895 (2).jpg (34.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0892.jpg (33.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg LED tail lights.jpg (49.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 05-04-2023, 01:17 PM   #18
ScubaChief60

Hello all... I am having problems with my turn signals. I have a 6vdc positive ground 1935 Ford. I am using a 6vdc to 12vdc step-up device to power my 12vdc led headlights and front and rear parking lights and signals. All of those lights work great... but my issue is that my signal flasher is not working. I have the LED Flasher... and it does not even light the signals... when I use the 6vdc 553 flasher the lights all light but no flashing.

Suggestions appreciated!
ScubaChief60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 04:43 PM   #19
Merc Cruzer

Are your front and rear parking lights and signals LED?
Old 05-04-2023, 07:53 PM   #20
Abe Lugo

"As some of you might know the federal government is banning the sales of both incandescent and halogen lights after August 1st."

This is impossible, until a common replacement is here, which its not really, there are tons of contemporary and some models still using Halogen, be it full bulb or otherwise.

everyone all the sudden need to move to the Holley LEDs because that is the common one?, no way no how! just use the Halogens and buy some extras for now. The LED tech for old car headlights it just not common enough right now.

Also there are Cheap bright white LED that are turning purple because of issues with the chemicals used. That is industrial street lights.
Abe Lugo is offline   Reply With Quote