Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-09-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
Bob P.

Default 28/29 Radiator shroud

I bought an original radiator shroud for my 29. I have it mounted as high as I can on the radiator, but the top of the fan hits on the top of the shroud? anyone know why this is happening? The frame was made Nov. 1929.
Bob P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
mrtexas

Default Re: 28/29 Radiator shroud

How about the radiator? Lots of after market radiators don't have the correct mounts for the shroud. Brassworks radiators do however. I have two other radiators that don't.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:06 PM   #3
darcarter

Would it be possible to tighten the lower nut on the front engine mount to pull the engine down until it's centered in the shroud?
darcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Don't know just how pickey you are but the 1929's did not have a shroud, well they did...up through February 1929 that is, plus the November 1929 frame, when concerning the front cross member had the LOWERED raidator mounting pads thus making the radiator sit lower IF you are using a 1929 radiator. This may be your problem as to why the fan is hitting the shroud.

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 07-09-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:53 PM   #5
Bob P.

IM not sure if it's a 28 or 29, but it's an original radiator I had recored (threaded neck). IM looking for better cooling that's why I added the shroud. Also I wanted to keep period Ford parts on my pickup. It will be restored but not a points type restoration. Any Idea how much lower the cross member is? Also if I put blocks under the radiator to lift it, will the crank still work in the hole on the radiator shell? IM not aware of the 28 shell being any longer than a 29 shell. I have used the crank several times to start this truck so I don't want to loose that ability. There must be some simple way I can make this all work together. Thank you for all your replys.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:08 AM   #6
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Whether or not it is a 28 or 29 radiator or shell should make no difference as they all fit the same on the frame. I have no idea how much lower the cross member is BUT if it is what you say it is, a November 1929 chassis, then more than likely it is the front cross member that the Ford Service Bulletins talk about in the October 1929 FSB, page 387.

Please review this FSB. The "shims" for which are "added" to take up this space, should be almost level with frame sidemember. By doing this, it should raise your radiator enough to not allow the fan to hit the shroud.

Is this a car "A" frame or a truck "AA" frame? OK...it is a pickup "A" frame!

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:29 AM   #7
Bob P.

I would still like to know if the crank handle will be affected if I raise the radiator & shell? I seems like it would have to have a taller guide (u bolt block) for the crank handle so it wouldn't rub on the shell.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:08 PM   #8
d.j. moordigian

Bob,...What Steve is saying is, it's about 1/8" ! Stick some kind of shaft in the hole
and look at it. Does the hood and shell fit OK to the body? I didn't think there was a
difference in the mounting pads on a 28-29 radiator.
Dudley
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:09 PM   #9
Ron in Quincy

Smile Re: 28/29 Radiator shroud

As Steve said, a Nov. 29 did not have a schroud. Is the schroud you purchased have a tray at the bottom for headlight wires or no tray? The very early fan schroud, referred to as a "Tabby", has a smaller opening for the fan than the later schroud. If you have the later schroud, I suspect the recoring of your radiator may be the problem. A local radiator shop, when recoring a 28-29 radiator, would call me and borrow a radiator shell so he could check to see that every thing lined up properly.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:57 PM   #10
Chris Haynes

If you front motor mount is on backwards your engine will sit higher in front. Is your crank nut lined up so the crank goes straight in?
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote