Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-27-2015, 06:39 PM   #1
mrtexas

Default 12v voltage regulator for 41

Can someone confirm whether the cheap Studebacker voltage regulator I bought will work on my Ford generator? I expect not.

The regulator instructions states "for use with internally grounded field autolite generators only."

If not then what year/make/part number VR do I need for 12v negative ground on my 41 Ford?
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:48 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 12v voltage regulator for 41

Any of the early Fords would be the way to go. Believe the other thread on this topic listed the years Fords were 12v negative ground with a generator (late 50s, early 60s).

NAPA list one for a lot of Ford models from 57 - 64, OEM # B6A-0002A, Their part # MPE VR 412513

So, should be able to pick just about any model Ford between 57 & 64 and go with that regulator.

Last edited by JSeery; 11-27-2015 at 06:55 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 06:41 AM   #3
koates

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtexas View Post
Can someone confirm whether the cheap Studebacker voltage regulator I bought will work on my Ford generator? I expect not.

The regulator instructions states "for use with internally grounded field autolite generators only."

If not then what year/make/part number VR do I need for 12v negative ground on my 41 Ford?
mrtexas, I would think your Studebaker voltage regulator could be used on your 41 ford provided that regulator is for 12 volts to match your converted to 12 volts ford. Ford early V8 generators were internally grounded at one end of the field coils with the other end of the field coils going through the regulator control contacts at "FIELD" terminal to the "ARM" terminal on the regulator. You have not stated what generator is on your Ford. But you should really check your generator internal field connections to confirm this. Just guessing on any of this is not recommended. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:08 AM   #4
flatheadmurre

There are 2 main differences in the regulators.
They either operate the fields by applying voltage to them or grounding them.
If you have the right type regulator for the style of generator it will work.
Keep in mind that a later regulator for a higher power unit may overload a generator letting it put out more current then it was meant to do.
Fords are the type that uses voltage to the fields.
If you install the wrong type you wont get any charging but no meltdowns will happen.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:35 AM   #5
koates

There are also other considerations. Some points type regulators will operate both negative and positive ground. Others will operate negative ground only , or positive ground only. This is usually governed by the material in the contacts. Many things to consider here. You have to get it right otherwise damage to the generator or regulator or both will be the result. All new regulators fitted to a vehicle should be checked with an automotive analogue test meter set for correct voltage, current and cut out settings.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:55 AM   #6
flatheadmurre

Koates is right you need the polarity and voltage to be right of course.
Checking a voltage regulator for overload cutout will require a carbon stack or similar so not in everyones drawer.
Im trying to sort out if the resistors will burn if using the wrong type regulator but i dont think so.
So as long as its voltage and polarity compatible you could give it a try.
Electronic types is a hole other story...solid state fry easy
Why would the generator fry from testing ?
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote