Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-26-2015, 06:58 PM   #1
Lawrie

Default 33 floor mats

Any Australians know of a floor mat/carpet maker who could make a carpet for the front of our 33 .
Or has any one done it them selfs.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:55 PM   #2
FrankWest

Default Re: 33 floor mats

There are many US sellers that offer front rubber mats for the 1933. I don't think carpet was used in the front at all.
I remember when I was looking back 2 years ago or so I had to look carefully to get the proper color... Be careful look for the proper color. They were not cheap approx 200$. I will try to find some sellers. Don't rush, do your homework.

This guy at least has the proper color.
https://www.bobdrake.com/FordItem.as...m=40-700400-TS

My car originally had a black front mat that had the right texture, but I am not sure if is original but was just darkened due to age.. It was shredding in places and looked nasty so I chose to replace it. Note: The rear floor had remnants of rubber mat too, light color..almost yellow/orange? I assume it was original. because I have a standard and I knew that was what they used on second half of the year 1933 builds. I could not find
anyone who made the rear rubber mat..Then I learned that the first of the year 1933 standard production used carpet in the rear... http://www.lebaronbonney.com/ had the proper rear carpet for 1933 standard so I purchased it. Expensive..250$ But It looks very nice with the original mohair interior in the back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40-700400-TS_med.jpg (10.7 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by FrankWest; 11-26-2015 at 08:09 PM.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:06 AM   #3
koates

Lawries car is right hand drive and so a USA rubber mat will not fit unless you turn it upsidedown and then the up side pattern in the mat will be incorrect. Also the shaped centre section will not fit very well upside down. I had a local motor trimmer custom make carpets front and rear for my 34 sedan as well as mats. Check a local motor trimmer Lawrie. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:46 PM   #4
Lawrie

Thanks Kevin, I will see the local guy ,my mats is not too bad,but I had a small battery on the floor in the front to run my A/F meter and it fell over and some acid got on the carpet,it now has a small hole .to say I was peeved off would be an under statement.
Lawrie
will you be in Echuca in april for the v8 meet
Old 11-27-2015, 05:14 PM   #5
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
Lawries car is right hand drive and so a USA rubber mat will not fit unless you turn it upsidedown and then the up side pattern in the mat will be incorrect. Also the shaped centre section will not fit very well upside down. I had a local motor trimmer custom make carpets front and rear for my 34 sedan as well as mats. Check a local motor trimmer Lawrie. Regards, Kevin.
Oh, sorry! I'm getting too old!

Maybe you can get a roll of the basic mat material and cut out the holes yourself. Should be easy with a sharp single edged razor blade or xacto knife.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:25 PM   #6
fourfords

Why don't you call Lebaron & Bonney and ask the if thy can make you one? If they say yes, you'll have exactly what you need. If they say no, try Cartouche. Might be worth a phone call.
fourfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:36 PM   #7
Lawrie

Never thought of that,thanks
Lawrie
Old 11-27-2015, 05:51 PM   #8
FrankWest

The 1933/34 rubber mats have two different surfaces. The bottom has 1/8 inch squares and the top has has basically a flat surface with grooves. So you could not buy the left hand mat and then turn it around.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:24 PM   #9
FrankWest

Try

http://www.allfordparts.com/images/A...ow_Handles.pdf

They at least have the right color Taupe in stock...Talk with them maybe they can order what you need.
I don't think LaBaron Bonney has 1933/34 mats. only 1935 and later.
Mac's has mats but not the right color.
I remember looking for my front mat..It was a PIA even though they were left hand drive.
The mats come in twp pieces. One main for the whole front and a smaller piece that goes over the transmission cover. Many place had Different color for the main and transmission cover. I finally found a place that had same color pieces.. The transmission cover piece still didn;t fit right. The emergency brake hole was off and I had to cut it to fit.

Last edited by FrankWest; 11-27-2015 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:32 PM   #10
koates

Lawrie, Yes will be in Echuca in April, so hope to meet you there. Are you driving the 33 ford down ? Long trip. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:14 PM   #11
Lawrie

Yes,we are towing the caravan,we plan on making a good trip,will be away from home for about a month.
Lawrie
Old 11-27-2015, 09:08 PM   #12
fourfords

I cannot speak for Australian Fords. My Deluxe USA '33 has fabric floor mats front and back. Appear to be stock. Correct me if I'm wrong, Standard models had rubber floor mats?
fourfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:18 PM   #13
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfords View Post
I cannot speak for Australian Fords. My Deluxe USA '33 has fabric floor mats front and back. Appear to be stock. Correct me if I'm wrong, Standard models had rubber floor mats?
Per the restoration 33/34 guide
all models had front rubber mats, in Taupe color. I think there were variations in color of Taupe from very light to dark..sort of dark brown.
The rear of the deluxe all had carpet.
Early 1933 standard also had carpet in the rear
That changed to rubber mat in the back in April 1933.

I don't mean to sound like the big authority.
But I looked into it in detail when I wanted to order the right floor material for my standard 1933. I learned that there is a lot of crap out there and it is very expensive too.
I always seek to try to make my car as authentic historically as I can. Most dealers were selling two tone floor mats..that was not authentic at all. My car was made in July 1933 and the rear still had an almost yellow color floor mat that is nearly gone but you can still see it. I tried to purchase a new rear floor mat and found that nobody makes them. LaBarron Bonney had a carpet floor mat for my standard 1933. If my car had been made weeks earlier my car could have had that carpet in it. So..I bought the standard 1933 rear carpet from LeBarron Bonney... It looks the same as the photos in the 33/34 Ford restoration guide so I am satisfied...And it looks really nice with the original mohair interior and is really a matching color for that material.

Floor mats seem really expensive, but they make the interior finished and cozy. Having nasty floor mats and carpets in a car is like wearing a new suit with dirty nasty worn shoes.
I paid 235$ for the front with matching color pieces.
I paid another 235$ from LeBarron Bonnie for the rear carpet floor mats.

Last edited by FrankWest; 11-30-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:09 PM   #14
DavidG

Based on my experience with a '32 RHD phaeton, it would take the sacrifice of about 3 or 4 LHD mats to piece together an original looking (and fitting) RHD front mat. That's a sacrifice I'm not willing to make given the off and on availability of good reproduction '32 mats. Hence, LeB/B are making me a carpet from a pattern that I sent them. I'll lose a few points for it, but that's okay.

The center section of a '33-'34 mat would be that much more of a challenge to relocate the opening for the hand brake to the left side given the way the mat is molded around the hand brake opening.

I've moved the shift lever housing opening in the front mat center section rearward to accommodate the further-back placement of the shift lever on fours given that the reproductions are made for V-8s. Accordingly, I'm curious how you accommodated that difference with the front mat you bought from LeB/B given that your sedan is also a four.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:16 AM   #15
FrankWest

Interesting discovery...In my attempts to finally get my front rubber map positioned properly..I discovered under the sides of the front bench seat two small cut pieces of original "i believe" rubber mat. These must be remnants from the rear rubber mat from the 1933 standard fordor built in July 1933. It is amazing that they would take to careful effort to cut these pieces and place them in an area that is really plainly not visible.
I learned from the 1933/34 ford restoration guide that 1933 standard cars up until April were
fitted up with left over rear carpets from the 1932 cars. After April they began using rubber maps in the rear, I guess after they had used up the 1932 leftovers.
The rest of my original rear mat was almost complete disintegrated except for a few small areas here and there..So I wanted to put a new one in. I could not find anyone selling a rear mat for the 1933 standard. The closest I came was From LeBarron Bonny that had a rear carpet mat for the 1933 standard. From photos in the restoration manual it looks like the same pattern and color used.
Funny, LeBarron charged me a lot for the carpet but never included the TWO pieces that Ford original placed under the sides of the front bench seat!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (95.7 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by FrankWest; 11-30-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:34 PM   #16
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

floor mat original std car
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Phaton coils 016.jpg (59.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Phaton coils 019.jpg (66.8 KB, 33 views)

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:24 PM   #17
34 FORDOR

Lawrie. Could you have a rubber mat stitched in , (depending on where the hole is )do both sides , should look ok . I had a small rubber mat fitted to drivers side near pedals , saves the carpet.
34 FORDOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:33 PM   #18
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatheadTed View Post
floor mat original std car
FlatHeadTed! That is Amazing! Lookin Good! as they used to say!
Old 11-30-2015, 02:44 PM   #19
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

seat side
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Phaton coils 027.jpg (91.4 KB, 25 views)

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:52 PM   #20
Lawrie

34 fordor, yes ,Im going to take it down to the local upholsterer to see if he can put a patch over it.
Lawrie