Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-27-2015, 10:23 PM   #121
farmboy

Default Re: Saving a family treasure...(1936 1and1/2 ton)

Been sanding and blasting some when I get the chance. I went to a different abrasive as it's working better on the frame, but I had to use a bigger tip, so my compressor just isn't big enough to run it long. I got a neighboring farmer that has one of those industrial size portable compressors i'm going to borrow after the the weather breaks, it's suppose to rain for 3 days straight here, and I've got some end of year farm stuff to tend to next week, but once I get this compressor, I think I can finish it in a day if I don't have to stop much.

I'm just thinking ahead, but it i'm going to paint the frame and cab before I finish the fenders and grill, i'm still not certain i'll use the grill yet, depends on if I find another, if I don't, then I can make it work with some TLC... I've been talking to my Dad about colors, were either going back blue like was brushed on there by Pop back in the day, or a Maroon and black that just looks awesome IMO. Hows a good way to match the original paint colors? I went to my local restoration shop, and they didn't have codes for that year, but said they could proably find something or match it to a picture.. I'm a ways from that, but I plan on having it ready to primer before to long, at least the cab and frame.

Also, did the cab and dash usually have the same color as the exterior?
Thanks Bret..
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:04 PM   #122
farmboy

Starting to make some progress on the fenders! These things are still very solid for the most part!

Also been sandblasting on the rest of the truck, I'm hoping to have that finished soon, sand some other spots and get some epoxy primer on it soon!

Still up in the air about the grill, mine is salvageable, but if I found a good one at the right price i'd look hard at it. I have found one online that is actually a chrome grille. i'd want to paint over it, guess that would work, but not in a hurry for that yet, probably be one of the last things I put back on the truck.

The engine is almost done, thanks to the help I got on here once again, I was able to find some .030 over flanged bearings for the old Flathead. It's been slower lately, but hope to get back in the project, had a lot of end of year stuff here at the farm.

Thanks for all the help, Bret
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (59.3 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by farmboy; 12-12-2015 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:02 PM   #123
farmboy

Put some DP 90 on the back frame this afternoon, gonna do the rest of the frame tommoriw hopefully. Still got some work to do on the cab before I do it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (86.7 KB, 63 views)
Old 12-30-2015, 12:11 PM   #124
farmboy

Spraying some DP90 on the bare metel, then got to do some puddy. The DP layed down great, but had to keep the fire stoked up in the shop! This old Jewel is starting to shape up!

The fella at the restoration shop of course is in the business to sell paint, but he mentioned after I spray the filler primer over the DP, to put another coat of DP to sandwich it in? Anybody ever do this, i'm planning on using a high quality paint to hopefully last me my lifetime, it will never sell as long as im breathing!

I need to get the gauges out of the dash before I finish prep inside the cab.. Any tricks to getting them out, haven't got to that point yet..

thanks!
Old 12-30-2015, 12:20 PM   #125
flatheadv8

I agree! It would be neat to see it restored to the way your family had it on the farm with the name proudly displayed on the doors again! So happy that you are able to keep it in the family and bring it back to life. How cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kirk View Post
Bret, great story...I'm so happy for you. You've got a great project there and the family history is amazing. At some point, you're going to have a question and I'll answer that before you have even thought of that question. My dad owned my car back in the early 40's (it's a 35) and it's been in the family ever since. I got faced with the decision to build it back to the way it rolled off of the assembly line or restore it back to the way my dad had it. I posed that question on the Barn and after everybody read the story of my car (similar to your story) the resounding response was to restore it the way my dad had it. With that in mind, honor that truck as a family heirloom and not a product of an assembly line or what the current value is. The value lies in the history! You've come to the right place to get answers as you begin the restoration. If you add up all the old Ford V8 experience in years on this site, I'm sure it adds up to 1,000,000 with a few people, that I won't name here, making up the bulk of that!
flatheadv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 04:01 PM   #126
36Bill

Take pictures of the back of the dash with a digital camera and flash, it will give you an idea of whats in there. I remember a 5/16 wrench I think and not to bad to get them out.

Bill
Old 12-30-2015, 06:18 PM   #127
farmboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36Bill View Post
Take pictures of the back of the dash with a digital camera and flash, it will give you an idea of whats in there. I remember a 5/16 wrench I think and not to bad to get them out.

Bill
They were a breeze to get out. Screws wasn't even rusted. Also heated the vent hinge under there and got it freed up!

Last edited by farmboy; 12-30-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:51 PM   #128
41panelmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmboy View Post
Spraying some DP90 on the bare metel, then got to do some puddy. The DP layed down great, but had to keep the fire stoked up in the shop! This old Jewel is starting to shape up!

The fella at the restoration shop of course is in the business to sell paint, but he mentioned after I spray the filler primer over the DP, to put another coat of DP to sandwich it in? Anybody ever do this, i'm planning on using a high quality paint to hopefully last me my lifetime, it will never sell as long as im breathing!

I need to get the gauges out of the dash before I finish prep inside the cab.. Any tricks to getting them out, haven't got to that point yet..

thanks!
Looking great!
41panelmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:19 PM   #129
farmboy

Finally got the cab like I wanted it, so sprayed the dp90 on all of the cab inside and out on the bare metal today! Going to do a little bondo work in a few pitted spots and dents, then go over that with some K 36 primer! After that will be the decision on what color to go back with we are leaning toward blue as that is the color Pop had it 80 years ago. My dad and I are still talking about it because there is a maroon version of this truck that is really sweet but restoring it like it was on the farm originally would be really cool! Anyhow that is my latest update Stay tuned !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (44.6 KB, 42 views)
Old 01-21-2016, 08:21 AM   #130
farmboy

Here's a video I took the other day, since this I've been block sanding and getting ready for the paint!

There taking there time finishing the engine, but there gonna try to get it done by next week !
Other than the engine and body work the fenders needed, i'm doing the rest myself. They tell me when done the flathead will be better than they were new?
http://youtu.be/-CNgfGekjRA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (74.3 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by farmboy; 01-21-2016 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:11 AM   #131
farmboy

When I painted Pop's old truck last Saturday I had some fun with a Gopro and my video editor I use for my side gig on a Local outdoor show. I apologize for my messy shop, I just tell myself I work In it not live in it...ha Here's my little video, turned out pretty good, I was really impressed with how this turned out. I think the quality of the paint is making me look better than I am with a paint gun?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQLFJBaDyvY
Old 02-04-2016, 12:24 AM   #132
outlaw

Smile Re: Saving a family treasure...(1936 1and1/2 ton)

Nice video. I like the color. It looks good especially for being shot in a open shop & not a paint booth. Bill
outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:49 AM   #133
done4

Send a message via Yahoo to done4

Nice job man.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:55 PM   #134
Newc

Great trk and history; Your trk has a good Floater rear diff and hyd brakes for it came out in 39. Any way truck brakes are excellent for empty rigs, no real load. We'll all enjoy your progress. Newc
Newc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:41 PM   #135
41panelmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmboy View Post
When I painted Pop's old truck last Saturday I had some fun with a Gopro and my video editor I use for my side gig on a Local outdoor show. I apologize for my messy shop, I just tell myself I work In it not live in it...ha Here's my little video, turned out pretty good, I was really impressed with how this turned out. I think the quality of the paint is making me look better than I am with a paint gun?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQLFJBaDyvY
Great job!! Thanks for sharing.
41panelmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:48 AM   #136
willowbilly3

I've got the front half of a 35 truck frame, with axle, transmission, pedals. I'd love to give it to someone needing parts.
willowbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:57 PM   #137
farmboy

The flathead is finally completed!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.3 KB, 77 views)
Old 02-07-2016, 04:14 PM   #138
VeryTangled

Hi Everybody, Wow that looks like it should! I'm enjoying the story, thanks for taking us along for the journey.

Paint looked pretty nice! What color are you gonna use for the engine?

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 04:23 PM   #139
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Looking good!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:03 PM   #140
farmboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
Hi Everybody, Wow that looks like it should! I'm enjoying the story, thanks for taking us along for the journey.

Paint looked pretty nice! What color are you gonna use for the engine?
Thanks! The paint turned out great on the cab! I've ordered a quart of the green heat resistant paint they were painted in 36