Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-27-2015, 08:03 PM   #21
CSArno

Default Re: A good 49 pickup find?

And I'm told it has a 4 speed transmission which I believe heavy duty 3 and 4 speeds were an option.
CSArno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:54 PM   #22
GB SISSON

Looks great to me too. Even rust can be fixed these days with the advent of patch panels and fairly inexpensive and easy to use wire feed welders. I used to only seek out rust free vehicles, but they get harder and harder to find. I sure hope you go for this one and start a restoration thread. Best of luck!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:24 PM   #23
Vanspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSArno View Post
And I'm told it has a 4 speed transmission which I believe heavy duty 3 and 4 speeds were an option.

Mine was also a 4spd. I put a 48 truck light duty three speed in her. Great trans, same as a 39 passenger car essentially. I did not need the "truck" trans. I did have to find the correct driveshaft though which was harder to find than the trans.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:56 PM   #24
CSArno

just got back from GETTING the pickup. 7 hrs on the road. No way were we passing this one up! What we ended up with was what i believe is a completely original with the exception of a few minor fixes 1949 F1! i will post some pics later but this thing is a barn find like you read about. the frame is excellent, all the fenders are good, the fender braces are good, the running boards are good, the exhaust is excellent. the cab is excellent.
Threw a battery in it and all the lights and horn work. brake pedal goes to the floor (no big surprise) but the emergency brake works. And the motor is stuck which i knew before hand. the front of the bed floor is a bit tender but thats were all the crap sits. other than that, the bed is straght as a arrow. hardly a ding in it. this truck is a hard find for my neck of the woods (Maine) it came from Pa. 30 years ago and was last run in 2002. My plan is to hopefully get the motor unstuck, go through the brake system, probably replace
wiring, fix what needs to be fixed and run it! they do have a couple 12 volt battery cables that will need to be replaced with 6 volt ones.. will keep you posted on progress! will probably start a new "Preservation" thread. this isnt going to be a "restoration".... yet...
Old 11-30-2015, 10:45 AM   #25
Vanspeed

Sounds like you did good! I also would not restore it, just fix what needs it and use it.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:55 AM   #26
Chris

Awesome! Sounds like a great find!
Old 11-30-2015, 03:39 PM   #27
CSArno

I'm going to start a new thread titled "A 49 pickup preservation"
PS. I got the motor unstuck today. I'm a happy man
Old 11-30-2015, 05:00 PM   #28
Ken Crans

Anticipation for some pics!
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:52 PM   #29
kegmon

Nice find! Sometimes if the brake MC hasn't been dry too long, adding fluid may be all you need to do IF the rubber seals aren't too bad. I'm sure you know to check each wheel cylinder for leakage as well. Good luck with the motor, it shouldn't take much to get it going if you've already got it to turn over. Finding and fixing all the trouble spots is half of the fun. There's no better feeling than getting your new ride licensed and driving it all over town!
kegmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:08 PM   #30
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone, Chris, nicely played my friend, nicely played!

We like trucks, A LOT!

Super good news regarding the engine getting unstuck!

Just a little to make you drool... https://www.google.com/search?q=1949...AQIGw&dpr=1.75

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:17 PM   #31
CSArno

I got the truck running today! Spent nights this week getting the valves free. Cleaned up the carb a bit, hooked up the fuel pump to a jug with gas, cranked it over with a 12 volt battery (6 volt on ignition) and she fired aftersome spits and sputters. Purred like a kitten after all the extra MMO burned out of the cylinders. This truck hasn't ran in 14 years! And everything works. Lights, heater, vacuum wipers, charging system, everything!