Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-27-2015, 03:53 PM   #1
Blu Dice

Default Grounds & battery cables

I'm correcting things the PO did to this car - looks like he replaced the battery cables with 2 or 4 gauge - he replaced the positive weaved cable with a standard type also - so my question is does the positive go to the engine block like my '50 did (it is now), and is there a ground cable going from the block to the body? If so where is it. If not it's a good idea to add one right - best place? The car is still 6 volt so I'm going the replace the cables with 1 gauge.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:05 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Grounds & battery cables

The 1950 wiring routing diagrams look like they run a ground from the battery to the generator case or mount. I think it is good practice to also run a ground to the frame and than also be sure the engine is grounded to the body. You can not have to many good ground connections. A lot of electrical problems end up being ground issues.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:40 PM   #3
Blu Dice

Other than the 2 cables off the battery - do you think it's necessary to use 1 gauge cable for grounding the engine to body to frame??
Old 11-27-2015, 04:47 PM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Really don't need to be that heavy, but remember the headlights are big power users and they are not grounded to the engine. Need grounds larger enough for the combined current of the headlights, taillights, etc. The heavy ground cable is required for the starter cranking.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:38 PM   #5
JT FORD

Sounds like the cables on the battery are 12 volt size. Put a braided cable from the + battery post to the head and a 01 cable from the - post to the starter solenoid. Then there should be a smaller braided cable from the intake manifold to the fire wall. I will work as it is now but sometimes when the engine is hot it will fail to turn over fast when the engine is hot....Be sure the 48 inch cable from the starter solenoid to the starter is a heavy cable all so.
JT FORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:52 PM   #6
Blu Dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT FORD View Post
Sounds like the cables on the battery are 12 volt size. Put a braided cable from the + battery post to the head and a 01 cable from the - post to the starter solenoid. Then there should be a smaller braided cable from the intake manifold to the fire wall. I will work as it is now but sometimes when the engine is hot it will fail to turn over fast when the engine is hot....Be sure the 48 inch cable from the starter solenoid to the starter is a heavy cable all so.
PO probably didn't know 6 volt cars have to have big gauge cable. This is a 36,000 mile car so not much has been done to it - a real sweet heart.