Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-05-2011, 07:26 AM   #1
RockHillWill

Default Not Model A-NASCAR Diecast shows up at my door

For those of you with an interest in these 1:24 scale die casts, I wanted to share the arrival of the #96 car that showed up in my mail this past Friday.

It is the prototype that they said they were going to send for my final approval. It has NO serial number. What I was most impressed with was the details and the weight. It is quite heavy and seems to have more details than the one they showed me at the contract signing.

I have enclosed some pictures, but I am not a great photographer. Sorry about that. The trunk shows the fuel valve and the overflow valve. The engine compartment has an air cleaner and spark plug wires. All wheels turn and the front ones steer.

It has all the correct decals and proper signs, including the one just behind the quarter window that is rectangular decal indicating that we were one of three 'underdogs' for that race that Charlotte Motor Speedway (now Lowes) indicated might have a chance of winning the race from a lower funded team.

The 'W' with a 'C' around it that is just to the rear of that decal is my signature. It is how I signed autographs at the time, and I had decsals made to make it cheaper to put on the car. The same "W" /"C" on the hood indicates the name of my race car shop, "White Crown Engineering"

I am somewhat surprised that Lionel company would consider replicating this car after so many years, but it sure has ignited a great flood of memories.

2wc102 001sm.jpg

2wc102 002sm.jpg

2wc102 003sm.jpg

2wc102 004sm.jpg

2wc102 005sm.jpg

2wc102 006sm.jpg
Old 09-05-2011, 07:40 AM   #2
Steve Wastler

Default Re: Not Model A-NASCAR Diecast shows up at my door

Very cool, thanks for sharing..
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
Uncle Bob

Pretty nice detail. Must make you very happy to have that resurected after so many years. Might have something to do with that rookie driver you had too?
Old 09-05-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Buddy, I'm telling you now that you need to put this on your list as soon as the Panel Delivery is done this winter (!!) your next project needs to be to replicate the #96 Torino and then go play. I'd bet Bill Rhine and several of your Grand National connections could come up with all the "one-off goodies" you had on the car back then.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
RockHillWill

Brent, I have thought of doing just that, several times in the past.

I re-skinned that car and it was used in the Burt Reynolds movie Stroker Ace, along with a number of other cars that I had built and two of my own cars. It was then sold and I re-skinned it as a Pontiac for a driver named John Callis from Florida, but I have been unable to contact John and the trail has gone cold.

It would require either a complete build, or to locate that car and re-skin it once more.

Building a fine points car is way more time consuming and detail oriented than building one of these cars, and the parts are a little easier to come by, but I have just not seen an opportunity open itself up to it.

Uncle Bob: There is no doubt that this was a 'Dale Earnhardt' project, NOT a RHW project, but it has given me a little more enthusiasm and my mental gymnastics have had a sportier flavor as a result.

I have often been asked to write a book, and have declined for years, but have been considering combining some of the stories on my website, and this recent occurrence has flamed the fire a little bit.

Just to add a small story that came to mind about Dale. It was a few years after he had driven for me and he was still quite young and we were at Talladega and the speeds were escalating and some of the drivers were experiencing concern about their safety at the drivers meeting. After one driver asked a particularly 'nervous' question, Dale just blurted out: "_______, why don't you just back to the garage area, soak two shop rags in kerosene and tie one around each ankle." Driver______ said: "why in hell would I do that?", and Dale responded "so when you are walking out to your car, none of these fire ants around here will want to crawl up one of your legs and bite your candy ass! The drivers meeting disbanded on the spot.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #6
1931 flamingo

Will: that is a super model, and I, for one would like to hear more "stories".
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #7
Roger V

That's a great tribute to your accomplishments!
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
RockHillWill

Roger: Thanks, I always enjoy hearing from you!

Paul/Flamingo: I have some of the stories that I been 'playing' with and some old NASCAR pictures at the bottom of the page at this link. Please, keep in mind that I am NO WAY a writer, I am just trying to remember and preserve some memories for my own personal use in the event my younger relatives take an interest in the future.

http://www.mantiquesresto.com/AboutUs/aboutus2.html
Old 09-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #9
Terry, NJ

Will, Do they have spare tires for the models? This is not a joke! I have two die cast models and a couple of the wheels and tires are missing. One is a 55 T-bird and the other is a orange GTO. Like your's, die cast and lots of details, doors and hood open. Some plastic and soft rubber? tires. The engines are good facsimiles. Especially the T-bird. It's a very detailed version of a supercharged 312. They need wheels to be complete, though! I was wondering.........
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:55 PM   #10
RockHillWill

Terry, I do not have a clue. This is the first one I have ever seen. I know NOTHING about these model cars.

Good luck with your search.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #11
Droobie

That is Super neat. I really think that you need to write a book about all your experiences and stories. I sure enjoyed being at your shop and visiting with you. I would buy your book and maybe a couple more copies for friends of mine.
Droobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #12
Steve Ciccalone

Hey Will, if that drop floor does over 75 we'll have to strip it down on pit row for illegal speed parts. Congratulations on the model. I really appreciated seeing the pics and listening to your stories about the car when I stopped by in March. You didn't touch here on your relationship with Dale E but what you told me was very special.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:45 PM   #13
RockHillWill

Droobie: I appreciate your visit and your business. Thank you!

Steve: You are welcome to visit anytime, my friend, I REALLY liked the bikes in the trailer. I just finished a story about taking an old Indian motorcycle from Ohio to Texas and back to get some doughnuts. That darn thing shifted hard, was damn heavy, and hurt my back. I lost my appetite for large bikes, but not for doughnuts, LOL.

http://www.mantiquesresto.com/AboutU.../tinindian.htm