Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-30-2010, 09:54 PM   #1
bentbars10

Default New poster/brake question

Hello,

I am new to this forum and site. My son and I looked at a 1930 2 door sedan today. Has been sitting in a barn since 1970' ish? Anyway the owner attempted to put juice brakes on it but never finished. They looked almost complete, he said they were off a Triumph. Id like to maybe buy the car but was wondering if the worst case scenario played out, how hard/costly would it be to convert it back to stock brakes? Also the body is pretty solid, maybe 1 or 2 rust through spots. Motor is not stuck. Interior about 1/2 gone and need a new top. Whats the value RANGE on something like this. I know hard to say without seeing but a range is what Im looking for. Thanks in advance for any help!!

Brian
bentbars10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:17 PM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: New poster/brake question

My best guess on a price based on your description and figuring my part of the country (Oregon) I'd say $3500-5500. It depends on a LOT of things, though. Rust out is expensive. Converting the brakes back shouldn't be too hard - less than $500, maybe. It sounds like you're buying a project, and if that's the case, proceed. But you'll spend about the same amount of money, maybe even less, buying a good older restoration, especially if it's a Tudor, which is a pretty common body style, and you'll be ready to go without a year or more of work.

Basically, buy good sheet metal (take a magnet with you when you look at the car); the rest is relatively inexpensive to restore if you're handy.

And welcome to the site and the hobby.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:23 PM   #3
CWPASADENA

Question Re: New poster/brake question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbars10 View Post
Hello,

I am new to this forum and site. My son and I looked at a 1930 2 door sedan today. Has been sitting in a barn since 1970' ish? Anyway the owner attempted to put juice brakes on it but never finished. They looked almost complete, he said they were off a Triumph. Id like to maybe buy the car but was wondering if the worst case scenario played out, how hard/costly would it be to convert it back to stock brakes? Also the body is pretty solid, maybe 1 or 2 rust through spots. Motor is not stuck. Interior about 1/2 gone and need a new top. Whats the value RANGE on something like this. I know hard to say without seeing but a range is what Im looking for. Thanks in advance for any help!!

Brian

WOW, that is a tough one. It is VERY hard to say without at least seeing VERY detailed pictures.

If it is essentially complete and not completely rusty, it could be worth between $3000 and $5000 and this is a VERY rough guess. It could also be worth next to nothing. How about some pictures?

As far as the brakes, there are lots of Model A Brakes out there and all the stuff should not cost a lot of money going in. There is a lot of work in completely rebuilding them (but this would be true even if they were with the car) but availability should not be a problem.

I do not think I have ever heard of putting Triumph Brakes on a Model A bit I guess all sorts of stuff has been done.

Just My Opinion,

Chris
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:32 PM   #4
CWPASADENA

Model A's make a good "Father-Son" Project.

Just a suggestion,

If you have a Model A Club in your area, get in touch with them. There are lots of people that will be happy to advise you and to look at a car for you. Also, they may know of cars for sale, both projects and running cars.

It is sometimes cheaper to buy a better car going in.

What part of the country do you live?

Chris
Old 08-30-2010, 10:54 PM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Welcome to the hobby!!!

As you have read Pictures pictures pictures are the way to go to determine worth.

Go to the MAFCA web site http://www.mafca.com/chapters_list.html

and/or the MARC site http://www.modelarestorers.org/main/...d=22&Itemid=59

and look for a local club and someone to give you a hand.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:53 AM   #6
bentbars10

I'm in Wisconsin. Yes the car is complete, except the rear seat is not there, and maybe the wood floorboards.Im convinced it will run from what the older gentleman says and knowing it's not stuck. The car reminds me of when my Dad and I bought our 27 T 3 years ago. In the same condition more or less. Ive seen complete cars that one can drive away for around $5000 but this will need some work to get to that point even. I was thinking $2500 or so. Im going back there soon to take the old guy for a ride in my T Fordor. Turns out he had a 26 Fordor when he was in high school. I'll look at it again and try to post some pics.

Brian
Old 08-31-2010, 09:53 AM   #7
CWPASADENA

Thumbs up Re: New poster/brake question

Quote:
I'm in Wisconsin. Yes the car is complete, except the rear seat is not there, and maybe the wood floorboards.Im convinced it will run from what the older gentleman says and knowing it's not stuck. The car reminds me of when my Dad and I bought our 27 T 3 years ago. In the same condition more or less. Ive seen complete cars that one can drive away for around $5000 but this will need some work to get to that point even. I was thinking $2500 or so. Im going back there soon to take the old guy for a ride in my T Fordor. Turns out he had a 26 Fordor when he was in high school. I'll look at it again and try to post some pics.

Brian
It sounds top me that you are not new to the Old Car Hobby, just new to Model As. I think the price you are looking at is very realistic.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Chris
Old 08-31-2010, 04:37 PM   #8
hardtimes

Quote:

Brian
"from what the older gentleman says and knowing it's not stuck"!
The old sayingon't believe none of what you hear, and half of what you see..I think applies here. For instance, when as a newby buyer, I encountered a 'little ole lady from pasadena'. She said that her husband died recently and that just before he died...HE DROVE THE ROADSTER into the garage where is sat! Well, engine turned by hand. Lots missing/rotted. But,encouraged by this grieving ole 'lady' statements/lies, I trailored the 30 home. Turned out...top out of one piston, transmission broked case and teeth out of BOTH ring/pinion caveat emptor
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
bentbars10

You sure are right, there's always a chance that things can go bad. I guess you do have to accept some risk. That's why what I think the car is worth has been discounted. Can a person get any model A Ford for $2500 or so? I mean one you can hear run? My model T that I bought 3 years ago I took a chance on, and it turned out OK. caveat emptor

Brian