Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-13-2022, 02:58 AM   #1
ronn

Default Insurance............thumbs down JCTaylor

So Ive had insurance with JC for more years then I can remember. Asked
to add on my newly acquired 1940 ford pu that I just bought from a fellow barn member.......

I was denied. Was told it isnt in good enough condition for them to insure.
Funny how for the last 40 years, without even one claim, everything I owned was good enough for them. Is this the way things are today or did I just get a dud of a person to work with?

Well now I need to search for another carrier. Hagerty grundy collectors etc.
I always touted how good JC Taylor seemed to be. Not anymore.

Buyer beware...........my rant.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 04:07 AM   #2
shew01

Default Re: Insurance............thumbs down JCTaylor

Hmmm… Is there anything “wrong” with the truck? Did JC Taylor cite anything specific about the truck not meeting their standards, for lack of a better term?

Can you post pictures of your truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 04:17 AM   #3
Oldbluoval

Did they inspect? Go from pics? Did/will your state issue a tag/title?
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 05:16 AM   #4
ronn

was just told that the truck was a little rougher then they chose to insure. In all fairness, it does have its original weathered paint. that isnt going to change, as its preferred by me over shiney plastic "gloss".

They went from a photo I sent. No problem with getting tagged and titled........

My FJ is in the same condition and also runs well. no problem with insuring that or my 50 yr old restored model A roadster.
I will try and post a photo, but not real successful here on the Barn with photos.
Old 09-13-2022, 05:18 AM   #5
ronn

here it is I thinks..............
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1714[1].jpg (48.3 KB, 334 views)
Old 09-13-2022, 05:23 AM   #6
ronn

here is a photo of the cord I used to own........they had no problem insuring this one for 30k........

so the main question is- I guess one cant insure a car unless its already restored? Many of us have unrestored vehicles so I guess they dont warrant insurance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0750[1].jpg (96.2 KB, 145 views)
Old 09-13-2022, 06:14 AM   #7
Mike Peters

Same thing happened to me this spring when I tried to add a 30 Tudor to the list for JC Taylor. These are the four photos that were sent to JC Taylor. I have installed a new top since these photos were taken this spring, but I intentionally don't plan to restore the car.
It's a great example of a beater Model A that was used during the forties and fifties for basic transportation. Was told that this marvelous piece of history wasn't good enough for them to insure, and only for liability at that. I don't have collision on any of my old cars. Granted their rates are pretty reasonable, I'm thinking of switching companies.

And like you, Ronn, I have other cars and trucks that don't look any better than this that they JC Taylor insured years ago still on the books. The lights work, it runs and stops good, so what's the fuss?

Is their anyone else that's had a similar experience with JC Taylor this year? I've been with JC Taylor since the mid 80's and back then they didn't even require a photo of our cars when we got them insured. And like Ronn, I've never had a claim in all that time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-P1080545.jpg (107.8 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg 2-P1080546.jpg (99.5 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg 3-P1080547.jpg (83.2 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg 4-P1080548.jpg (88.9 KB, 104 views)
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 06:32 AM   #8
ronn

Thank you for sharing Mike. I love your A.

I dont get it and maybe everyone is taking a "new" approach in a new society.......?

in any case, I would enjoy hearing which way you end up going with companies.

I dont drive my cars much, so dont get the fuss. I will say this, thousands of people will know how I feel, after posting on several sites that I belong to...........

VCCA HCCA etc. etc. not good to make a cobra angry. lol
Old 09-13-2022, 06:41 AM   #9
slatgrille

I just added my 3rd vehicle to my antique policy....actually got a refund check! I use Condon Skelley. Been with them since the 90's. Never had any issue with agreed value, miles driven, pictures, etc.

Craig
slatgrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 06:53 AM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I think this is a 'by-product' of this nonsense about 'survivor cars' and 'Drivers with patina'. It has been my experience that many of these stereotyped cars also come with poorer quality of maintenance and upkeep. Therefore, it stands to reason that those are the vehicles that have brakes that are lacking safe stopping ability, or steering components that are worn, -or other areas that can fail and contribute to causing accidents that has caused the insurers to pay-out claims. If so, the risk is likely too great for the underwriters.

FWIW, I am not just giving an opinion on this, but am telling what I have observed coming into my shop. There is a generation of mindset that someone takes a parts car out behind a barn and tries to see if it will run again after 50+ years of sitting. Then after the engine has started, they add some brake fluid and take-off driving it to the local car show or cruise-in to brag about their accomplishments. There are videos all over YouTube documenting this very thing. Ronn, I am unsure if JC Taylor offers this but both Hagarty and Grundy offer insurance on vehicles being stored and/or restored to cover a loss. I wonder if they would be all to happy to provide Comprehensive only (-no Collision coverage) on your vehicle? If so, that confirms what I am suggesting above in that they are concerned about the mechanical condition and safety of your vehicle while being driven.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 07:23 AM   #11
ronn

Very good points Brent- as usual.

However as society changes in opinion (people enjoying patinad cars today) vs what was expected 20 years ago, should it not be noted that there is a call for this "newer" coverage, rather then a blanket NO! Does not paying into insurance of 40 years and never having a claim, warrant special consideration, or should a client just be dismissed?
True I dont run an insurance business, nor do I want to. I recently had a similar problem with my homeowners insurance. Nobody was interested in covering me, because my home is well over 100 years old. Insurance companies like playing "odds"- obviously only in their favor and why they are one of the richest institutions in America.
I did end up with Selective on my home and got fantastic service and coverage, unlike that recd from many of the commercial companies we see daily on TV.

Mike and I are but 2 people with this problem on this forum. I am sure there are many many more.
Old 09-13-2022, 08:03 AM   #12
TerryO

I've never had any issues adding cars or trailers to my Hagerty policy...

TOB
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 08:12 AM   #13
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Very good points Brent- as usual.

Mike and I are but 2 people with this problem on this forum. I am sure there are many many more.

Ironically, there is a guy posting on a Model-T forum right now that is struggling with JC Taylor also because his car is rusty (patina-ed) and they are wanting some type of clear coat on the rusty metal as a preservation.

Another interesting situation happened a few years ago when we restored a '69 Camaro Z/28 for a customer to a concours level and was then certified authentically-restored by Jerry McNish. The car really was not going to be driven much and the insurance companies were told that however none of the major collector insurance companies would insure his Camaro on any level -or for any amount due to his past driving record (-speeding tickets). I think they finally worked out something where the car was insured in his wife's name and a clause was written into the policy that if her husband was driving the vehicle it they would not pay any claims on the policy. I guess this all falls under the category of 'it is their sandbox and if you want to play, ...'

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 08:25 AM   #14
ndnchf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
here it is I thinks..............
Sorry to hear of your troubles with JC Taylor. But I want to say - that is a helluva cool truck you have there. Preserve the patina, make it safe and reliable. Then drive the heck out of it!
ndnchf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 09:07 AM   #15
chrs1961815

Hagerty is the best insurance company I've ever dealt with. Just because the vehicle looks rough paint wise doesn't mean it is unsafe mechanically. Sometimes it's the case, sometimes it isn't. Judging that just from a photo is wrong. Hagerty doesn't play with its customers like that. Drop em.
Old 09-13-2022, 09:49 AM   #16
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I think this is a 'by-product' of this nonsense about 'survivor cars' and 'Drivers with patina'. It has been my experience that many of these stereotyped cars also come with poorer quality of maintenance and upkeep. Therefore, it stands to reason that those are the vehicles that have brakes that are lacking safe stopping ability, or steering components that are worn, -or other areas that can fail and contribute to causing accidents that has caused the insurers to pay-out claims. If so, the risk is likely too great for the underwriters.

FWIW, I am not just giving an opinion on this, but am telling what I have observed coming into my shop. There is a generation of mindset that someone takes a parts car out behind a barn and tries to see if it will run again after 50+ years of sitting. Then after the engine has started, they add some brake fluid and take-off driving it to the local car show or cruise-in to brag about their accomplishments. There are videos all over YouTube documenting this very thing. Ronn, I am unsure if JC Taylor offers this but both Hagarty and Grundy offer insurance on vehicles being stored and/or restored to cover a loss. I wonder if they would be all to happy to provide Comprehensive only (-no Collision coverage) on your vehicle? If so, that confirms what I am suggesting above in that they are concerned about the mechanical condition and safety of your vehicle while being driven.
I think that this hits the nail on the head.

I have never had a problem with J. C. Taylor in almost 45 years.

One has to remember that there is a lot of junk out there. Insurance companies are working on the average chance of a pay out. Some cars just will not make the cut.

This doesn’t mean there is a problem with the insurance company. Car just don’t meet the insurance threshold they have set.

Have you tried to get health insurance lately?

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 10:06 AM   #17
ronn

ND I thank you! I love it too.

CHR I will give Hagerty a go. Like I said, I dont drive much-just enjoy looking at them and tinkering with them to make them better.

WHN I never had a problem- but I do now and they chose to lose my business.
Like I said, many guys on here are not into patina- to each his own. After 50 yrs collecting, that is my preference. Shiney does nothing for me- not even concourse, but I still respect others opinions on the matter. I never needed a trophy. can buy one at the 5 and dime........
Old 09-13-2022, 10:19 AM   #18
BillCNC

If this was me, and I know the car is mechanically sound in function, I'd ask them were they would like me to go (their choice) to have a safety inspection performed on the car. Then I'd then ask them if they would prefer to insure cars that look all shinny but a mechanical nightmare, or a car that is mechanically sound but looks old and tired?

PLAN B,

I'd tell them that I had just painted it to look weathered with patina.

Regards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 11:19 AM   #19
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryO View Post
I've never had any issues adding cars or trailers to my Hagerty policy...TOB
Ditto

BTW, nice looking truck.

Last edited by katy; 09-13-2022 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Addition
katy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 12:25 PM   #20
Terry, NJ

Hey Ronn, I almost went to JC Taylor myself ( I use Grundy) A friend used JCT and I was recommended. I called and I don't recall exactly what turned me off, (Maybe it was their hours) but something did and I stuck with Grundy and I'm not sorry. Grundy is right down 611 from me by the naval air station, so I sometimes go down and pay in person.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote