Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-29-2014, 05:50 PM   #1
Fred A

Default Is Authentic Really Worth It?

I have a 5 window '40 Ford V8 that has a very nice body. I wanted to restore the car as it is the best candidate I've seen in years at the price. The chassis is numbered 530***** which is fairly early with most early (standard) features. Although I appreciate the standard model, the market in this area heavily favors the deluxe coupe. Before I hear a chorus of those that say they prefer a standard, sometimes dollars have a voice that says "protect your investment!" The pieces to convert the car to Deluxe have been fairly easy to find with the exception that most of the essential Deluxe parts have been of the later style, like the deck lid which was a must to replace is a late style rather than the carryover from the '39. The Deluxe dash is with pullout ash receivers(late). The Deluxe window garnishes, the instruments, the clock box lid also have been found. There are probably scores of other characteristics that would be needed to consider to "Deluxeify" and I am aware of many. Still a bit choked up with the early vs late stuff. Aside from the bugs on the windows there is little for an observer to sense any conflict without knowing the place in the production history.
Is this what happens, such concerns about fine points while working toward as complete a restoration as can be afforded? Could it be worth it? Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:03 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Is Authentic Really Worth It?

I find it interesting that the market value is a major consideration over the pure love of the car. I never even considered the street value of mine, they are more a piece of artwork and self expression to me with little concern for the resale value. I however love my cars and would not be interested in selling them, so maybe that is a major factor. It you are building it to resale that would be a completely different matter.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:35 PM   #3
ford38v8

Well said.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:41 PM   #4
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred A View Post
I have a 5 window '40 Ford V8 that has a very nice body. I wanted to restore the car as it is the best candidate I've seen in years at the price. The chassis is numbered 530***** which is fairly early with most early (standard) features. Although I appreciate the standard model, the market in this area heavily favors the deluxe coupe. Before I hear a chorus of those that say they prefer a standard, sometimes dollars have a voice that says "protect your investment!" The pieces to convert the car to Deluxe have been fairly easy to find with the exception that most of the essential Deluxe parts have been of the later style, like the deck lid which was a must to replace is a late style rather than the carryover from the '39. The Deluxe dash is with pullout ash receivers(late). The Deluxe window garnishes, the instruments, the clock box lid also have been found. There are probably scores of other characteristics that would be needed to consider to "Deluxeify" and I am aware of many. Still a bit choked up with the early vs late stuff. Aside from the bugs on the windows there is little for an observer to sense any conflict without knowing the place in the production history.
Is this what happens, such concerns about fine points while working toward as complete a restoration as can be afforded? Could it be worth it? Fred A
Fred, Typically a so called "standard" 1940 coupe will generate about $5k less than a deluxe model in identical #1 condition.
Obviously, the lesser cars (#2,3,etc.) have less of a gap in value - "standard" vs. deluxe.
I can appreciate the fact that you have a a concern with (ultimate) value. Unless money is no object whatsoever, your concern is quite justified.
I am willing and able to help you out with running design changes if you should decide to restore this car.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:51 PM   #5
mfagan

Do it to suit your own taste. After all it's your money and
your toy, so make it work for you.
mfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:03 PM   #6
ford38v8

So, Mike, your estimate of 5k difference in value, minus the cost in dollars and time to find and purchase the DeLuxe parts, only to end up with a car that wouldn't quite be authentic anyway, ...The man asked: "is it worth it?"
Old 06-29-2014, 07:04 PM   #7
Kube

Quote:
Fred, I could not jhelp but revisit your initial post.
You ask "Is it worth it?" in regard to restoring a car to the "fine points". In other words, a "correctly" restored car...
To me? Knowing I have turned out "pieces of history" that are truly rare in that nature provides a huge sense of accomplishment to me. I truly enjoy the research required and the hunt for those elusive pieces that make each of my restorations as close to perfection as possible. Many folks don't understand this drive while many others don't care to understand. That being understood, you must also understand the fact that the restoration level you choose has to be the one YOU get the most enjoyment out of.
I feel Mfagen said it very well - It's your car, do what makes you happy.
I will reiterate, if you choose to restore this car properly, meaning the correct nuts, bolts, etc. let me know and I will help you through the process.
And um, you will need to get a '40 trunk lid regardless of "build date".
Old 06-29-2014, 09:38 PM   #8
john worden

Bottom line is that any given car on any given day wanted by 2 different people will bring any given dollar.
If you are in it for profit it's a crap shoot either Deluxe or Standard.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:27 PM   #9
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

Used to be that a number of '39 Standards magically became '39 Deluxe's down here in New Zealand for the same reason.
The quickest way was to scissor them at the windscreen pillars.
Personally I liked both '39 models.
Chris.NZ.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:14 PM   #10
Old Henry

Authentic is definitely worth it . . . to me . . . Not because of resell value but because of the effectiveness of Old Henry as a "Time Machine" to take me back in time every time I take a drive. It's like the movie "Somewhere in Time" with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour. The Christopher Reeve character so accurately recreated the past that he actually traveled back in time . . . until he pulled the modern penny out of his pocket which destroyed the whole illusion and took him back to the present never to return. That's why authentic is definitely worth it to me.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:20 PM   #11
Mike B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
Authentic is definitely worth it . . . to me . . . Not because of resell value but because of the effectiveness of Old Henry as a "Time Machine" to take me back in time every time I take a drive. It's like the movie "Somewhere in Time" with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour. The Christopher Reeve character so accurately recreated the past that he actually traveled back in time . . . until he pulled the modern penny out of his pocket which destroyed the whole illusion and took him back to the present never to return. That's why authentic is definitely worth it to me.

Was a great movie!

Seems if you'd like to turn your Standard into a Deluxe, then by all means do it, but wold you advertise it for sale as a Deluxe?

That wouldn't be right, IMO.

Plus, restoring a Standard into a Deluxe, really isn't restoring, it it?
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:47 AM   #12
Fred A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Was a great movie!

Seems if you'd like to turn your Standard into a Deluxe, then by all means do it, but wold you advertise it for sale as a Deluxe?

That wouldn't be right, IMO.

Plus, restoring a Standard into a Deluxe, really isn't restoring, it it?
I guess I see it quite differently. In the case of a '40 Ford the change to Deluxe is rather superficial. For the most part the grille assembly, hood, dashboard and instruments, door window garnishes, front bumper irons, deluxe interior trim, steering wheel, covered springs, hubcaps, door handles & cranks almost does it. Did I say superficial? Luckily found 90% of the parts in the last two years, surprisingly available originals.
As for what to call it?: The title calls it a coupe. Seen plenty of half harted conversions that change the hood and grille and call it done. The understanding of how many things changed during production produced a wave of concern that after that much searching, there was still issues.
Kube mentioned the need for a '40 trunk lid, which I believe that I have, having replaced what I call a carryover from '39 having the large almost square center opening in the inner structure. The replaced lid and the much finer replacement are both 1940.
While stealing my own thread, went to the '40 Ford day in Orange County CA on Sunday, hoping to find some original or restored cars. Seems that the majority of that group lean toward what may be called street rods with extensive modifications in both style and power train. What may have been cars with original features were not attended by the owners and the trip down there was not as good as expected.
Thanks for the responses: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:55 AM   #13
Mike B

I gues I think of it in the "modern" day era of cars, where a vin number can decode the whole sha-bang...so a buyer can look things over and know it was not an original 69 Z28 w/DZ302...

You had mentioned "authentic"...and "restore"...so, hence my post...would you try sand sell the car as a Deluxe model, or a Standard converted to deluxe?

I have my Da'd '57 Chevy PU that was originally a granny box and 235, I found all the custom cab knobs and outer trim, fitted it all, but it's not really a Custom Cab"...but I like the looks.

Ofcourse I'd never sell it, but if I had to, Id tell the buyer what I did.

Ofcourse, that 454/TH400 he'd see when we popped the hood, should clue him in
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:32 AM   #14
34PKUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
Will the next time your electric fuel pump is used be when your illusion is destroyed and you are brought back to the present?
(so much for authenticity )
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:31 AM   #15
A bones

No matter what others think, or say, you can only be happy if you do what you, in your heart of hearts, really want to do. Enjoy your day! Tom
A bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:41 AM   #16
JM 35 Sedan

Three of my four cars are standards. I personally love the plainness of the standards over the deluxe and would never consider changing them, but that's just my preference. I also prefer the looks of a '39 deluxe/'40 standard grille over a '40 deluxe grille, but again, that's just my preference and you should conside your preference when you make your decision. If $$'s mean more to you....then let that be your deciding factor.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:03 AM   #17
Mike51Merc

Clones are never valued as highly as "authentic" models.
If you represent it as a true Deluxe, you're committing a fraud on the buyer.

I say do what you want to do to please yourself, but be honest with a buyer when selling.

Regardless of whether you "style it" as a standard or deluxe, resale prices almost never exceed restoration costs, so most of us have no right calling these cars "investments" in the first place. They're more like indulgences than investments.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:32 AM   #18
HOTRODPRIMER

Having owned no less than 6 DeLuxe 40 Fords I can honestly say I like the Standard best.

I just never worried about resale value when building my cars. HRP
Old 06-30-2014, 08:17 AM   #19
V8 Bob

Quote:
I have a 5 window '40 Ford V8 that has a very nice body. I wanted to restore the car as it is the best candidate I've seen in years at the price. The chassis is numbered 530***** which is fairly early with most early (standard) features.
My understanding of 1940 chassis numbers is your '40 was 60 hp powered, (but could have been a deluxe if it was a sedan delivery), because...
1-All '40 60 hp cars were standard.
2-All '40 sedan deliveries were deluxe (and could have 60, 85 and 90 hp V8s)
3-The 1940 chassis numbers show only whether the vehicle was a Ford 60hp or 85 hp, Mercury or Lincoln/Zephyr, not body style or model.
My point is, to restore your car correctly, it has to be a standard 60 hp.
Correct

Last edited by V8 Bob; 06-30-2014 at 08:42 AM.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:17 AM   #20
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike51Merc View Post
Clones are never valued as highly as "authentic" models.
If you represent it as a true Deluxe, you're committing a fraud on the buyer.

I say do what you want to do to please yourself, but be honest with a buyer when selling.

Regardless of whether you "style it" as a standard or deluxe, resale prices almost never exceed restoration costs, so most of us have no right calling these cars "investments" in the first place. They're more like indulgences than investments.
The above quote pretty well sums up the 'truth" surrounding most old cars, especially in the "investment" category..
Most old car people like to delude themselves that an "authentic restoration" has more value that a modified car.. The fact of the matter is, that in mainstream vehicles, i.e., Chevy, Ford, etc., a well built modified car will sell quicker and for more money than any authentic vehicle..

Last edited by blucar; 06-30-2014 at 09:25 AM.
blucar is offline   Reply With Quote