Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-23-2014, 01:22 PM   #1
ericr

Default What Would You Change in the Model "A" News?

What, if anything would you suggest as an improvement to the Model "A" News?

In the present format, I've always been puzzled by the inclusion of page after page of local news. We all like and respect our fellow members, but what exactly is the benefit in a national magazine to include minutae of various regional events, like whose car broke down on a trip?

I'd much rather see extracts from the Ford Dealer and Service Field, even it if were only the quaint ads that we find amusing, let alone service information.

I always wondered why no attention gets devoted to which repro parts are more troublesome than others, but I suspect this is omitted so not to as offend the parts advertisers and we all know that advertising carries the financial burden for publications.

Anyway those are my thoughts....
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #2
springerpete

Default Re: What Would You Change in the Model "A" News?

In both " The Restorer" and " Model A News" a lot of space is devoted to the news of local chapters. In " The Restorer" I find the print so small that it is difficult to read. It is better in "News." I too feel that a better use of the space could be found. Perhaps divide up the years issues and report the local, chapter goings on in one issue only, giving every area a spot in turn: New England, Mid Atlantic, Southeast, Central, etc . Don't want to step on any toes and certainly don't mean this as a complaint against the hard working editors.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:53 PM   #3
montanajohn

The magazine sorely needs the attention of a proof reader to catch the numerous errors in grammar and spelling, and to delete repeated text. Maybe some folks find them charming or homey, but I find them annoying. I also agree that testing and reviewing repro parts is a useful function of the magazine. More would be better.
montanajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:26 PM   #4
Stretch Cab

I quit both Mag's because of the (filler) content of local club news or fashion of the day articles. What I want to see are technical articles but even more I want to see build stories. The encouragement of seeing other projects going together is a plus. Before and after stories are good too. Ford history would be great. Please just take out the filler and I will come back!
Stretch Cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:31 PM   #5
JohnLaVoy

Constructive criticism is good. But both of those magazines are limited to the content supplied by volunteers. There is not reporters in the field digging up the latest greatest news. The News and Restorer both do a wonderful job with what they have to work with. If you want something else printed, take the bull by the horns or pick up a pen and write an article. Help them out with information and articles that you feel would benefit the hobby. Don't slap them down just because they print what they have to print, step up and take some responsibility in the hobby and submit articles for every issue. Let's get this hobby headed in the right direction!
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:37 PM   #6
mshmodela

For me as a new owner of a Model A, think "The Restorer" does a fine job and the technical section alone is well worth my membership...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:51 PM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

i like the local stuff. I like knowing what other local groups do. I get ideas on what my local group can do for activities. The national clubs would be noothing without the local clubs.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:00 PM   #8
BlueSunoco

One thing I do like about Model A News is the many color pictures, in detail, of award winning cars.

Model A Times is the magazine for you, for a 'Consumer's Report' type of articles on quality of repo parts, etc. Check it out. Lots of good information.

And also, I wouldn't want the editor's desk at either of The Restorer, Model A News, or Model A Times they do OK by me
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:26 PM   #9
dlfrisch

I, also like the technical articles - building, revamping, refinishing, installing, vehicle findings, old Ford A and T news, etc.
dlfrisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:28 PM   #10
160B

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLaVoy View Post
Constructive criticism is good. But both of those magazines are limited to the content supplied by volunteers. There is not reporters in the field digging up the latest greatest news. The News and Restorer both do a wonderful job with what they have to work with. If you want something else printed, take the bull by the horns or pick up a pen and write an article. Help them out with information and articles that you feel would benefit the hobby. Don't slap them down just because they print what they have to print, step up and take some responsibility in the hobby and submit articles for every issue. Let's get this hobby headed in the right direction!
You hit the nail on the head, thank you John!!!

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?

Last edited by 160B; 11-23-2014 at 09:33 PM. Reason: spelling
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:08 PM   #11
mhsprecher

Volunteer as a proofreader or editor I am sure they can use the help. I have thought about doing that myself.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:13 PM   #12
Ted Duke

Here's my 2 cents worth. National magazine and local club newsletters (in any hobby or subject) have the same problem.

Here's an idea. WE need to submit more articles. There is a WEALTH of knowledge on fordbarn. Write some articles.Those of you who aren't sure of your writing abilities, spelling, etc. submit anyway. Those of you who feel they could help proofreading, editing, volunteer to review articles. I'll bet the editors would be happy to email you something to review.

I have submitted some to my club SKYLINE A's and plan on more. I'm NOT the technical whiz some of you are. THINK about this suggestion and maybe act on it.

Ted
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:33 PM   #13
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLaVoy View Post
John you have put it together well. I think the magazines are great the way they are but like you say, more articles would add to the enjoyment of the magazines. Thanks to the people who put the magazines together. They do a great job.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:08 PM   #14
peters180a/170b

I have no problem at all with the MODEL "A" NEWS . A LOT better then what it use to be...Wait a minute i do have one issue { TOO MUCH Fashion stuff....} I would like to see WHERE ARE THE CARS NOW [PICTURES]???? Some of the past FORD AWARD CARS of the PAST and Before the FORD AWARD WAS PRESENT. i always wonder where some of these car are today...
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:12 PM   #15
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by peters180a/170b View Post
I have no problem at all with the MODEL "A" NEWS . A LOT better then what it use to be...Wait a minute i do have one issue { TOO MUCH Fashion stuff....} I would like to see WHERE ARE THE CARS NOW [PICTURES]???? Some of the past FORD AWARD CARS of the PAST and Before the FORD AWARD WAS PRESENT. i always wonder where some of these car are today...
Times 2
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:30 PM   #16
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Maybe the better question is:
" What can I do to make it a better publication ? "

Volunteers need support, not criticism !
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:56 AM   #17
Ray in La Mesa

The hobby is a family activity, and that includes the wives. I met my wife & her Model A 40 years ago in the local club. We've both had our A's since high school. The fashion articles keep the distaff side interested and, therefore, homes happy.I like the fashions and she helps with the cars, our first date was to pull the differential out of her coupe to repair it. I may just be lucky but I'm loving' it!
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:40 PM   #18
Paul_nz

Ted Duke has the answer, as Editor of our Club Newsletter in New Zealand, I spend may hours surfing the web and reading other Model A Club / Chapter newsletter for technical or articles of interest, as I believe in the magazine being an educational tool as well as a communication tool.

Articles from this Forum make for excellent articles, the depth of knowledge is amazing, as we never stop learning, which reminds me of a quote from Henry Ford

"Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young".

Paul
Paul_nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 01:17 PM   #19
ericr

thanks, gents, for your thoughts.

in point of fact, I have previously suggested to someone in charge of the mag to reprint some of the Ford Dealer and Service Field materials, but I more or less got blown off.

Nor have I ever seen a solicitation in the mag for volunteer materials. If they have so posted such a request, it was not obvious to me.

I will always remain a member, the MARC/mag as presently constituted are certainly worthwhile, almost a necessity. I'm just not so sure the mag is as receptive to input as some of you guys think.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:07 PM   #20
Mikeinnj

Cut out the clothing fashion stuff. The focus should be on the Model A Ford car, focus on tech articles, restoration projects, tools and events. No fashion stuff. Let those interested in fashion start their own magazine.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote