Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
39portlander

Default 53 P/U info/advice please...

Have alway's liked the early 50's truck's and have a slight chance to maybe aquire a 53. Thank's to the FordBarn and folk's like Walt Dupont, I've learned alot about the Flathead Ford and my 39.

I'm realy not up to date on price/condition ect. to give a respectable offer for one of these truck's. So if any of you 53 guy's could pass on some info that would be great. Scott
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
George/Maine

Default Re: 53 P/U info/advice please...

I have a 53 and selling it for $4500.
I have the bed sides and fenders need some repairs.
I also have another left front fender,and a nice running flathead 3 speed on colume.
I have the lower piece under grill,no bumpers
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
brien

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39portlander View Post
Have alway's liked the early 50's truck's and have a slight chance to maybe aquire a 53. Thank's to the FordBarn and folk's like Walt Dupont, I've learned alot about the Flathead Ford and my 39.

I'm realy not up to date on price/condition ect. to give a respectable offer for one of these truck's. So if any of you 53 guy's could pass on some info that would be great. Scott
I am not up on the 53 models but if it is a Nothern truck, you must know the frame and the floor pans and anything else that is subject to rust, is likely corroded. The Northern roads are punishing during the Winter and they were laden with salt during the 50's - 80's They are a bit more "enviorn-mental" now about salt.

Point being the salt, and torn up roads, did most vehicles a lot of harm in the North. Still does...

George from Maine would likely testify to the punishment Northern roads do to vehicles

My only caution is to look for corrosion.
brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
bk53

In my neighborhood a runner and stopper with unrestored but complete sheet metal can be found for 6 to 10 k. I've seen sweet examples from 15 to 25k. the outer end would need to be a complete and very nice collector. sheet metal is important. The mill is pretty important. Please do a compression check if you are giving any value at all to the motor. Hemmings says they've gone in the high 30's I think maybe the 40's.
53 was the peak of flathead technology for that time. I'm not real pleased with the funky front wheel geometry looks wise, but a 53 will turn circles around an f1. happy hunting. Get the best truck you can afford. I haven't found it to be a cheap hobby, but damned if I don't enjoy the tinkering. also check http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/ something about a flathead that speaks to me. There are lots of mid fifties that are otherwise powered.
bk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
41ford1

Well Scott, 53 to 56 pickups are one of my favorites. It really doesn't matter what the power is 6, flathead or Y block. You need to pay special attention to the frame, cab floors and cab mounts. As bk53 says sheetmetal is important. A rusty hulk may require more expense than it is worth in the end.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
alan

I am in SC and there is a complete '53 truck, less motor/trans for $3500 for sale near me
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:50 AM   #7
flathead 53

two years ago I bought my 53 f-100 ,with a 1951 flathead merc in it . paid $6700 for it . it has very little rust . I rewired everything.put new tires , new front springs orig wood in bed cleaned up and finished, new optima 6 volt batt, front seat re covered, ,new windshield ,new door rubber and window channels . new exhaust duels headers and smithys. with all this I put $3500 into it just to make it a good driver . I wanted a 1953 f-100 with a flathead original . at the same time I could have bought a 1953 f-100 everything complete decent paint ,all for $11.500.00 . these trucks are getting very hard to find in original condition, look on the internet you can find a ton of them all with small block chevys in them ,It all depends on what you what.
flathead 53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:53 AM   #8
bjmayberry2

There are tons of sources for parts for the 53-56 F100s; frames, body parts, mounts for almost any engine/transmission, even fiberglass cabs. If you're planning on buying one go in with eyes wide open. Unless the PO has already done it; wiring will be bad (6 Volt too), engine and power train will have to be rebuilt (or modernized [Small block V8 with AOD is popular]), and more than likely new tubeless tires and rims will be wanted. If you want one a conservative figure to stay under would be shy of 2,000 if you are planning to do all of the above. If it just needs some cosmetic work 5 to 7K isn't bad. Watch Craig's List and eBay to get some ideas. There are deals to be had but they can get costly if you want to show. P.S. the ones that are 20K have hopped up engines, JAG or other independent suspensions, serious frame and body mods and a nice Paint job can cost in excess of 7K!!
Not trying to scare you off, look at my Avitar my 56 has none of the above, RIGHT NOW
bjmayberry2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #9
joe plumber

I didn't know they were so expensive to purchase.I got mine for $500.00 10 years ago ..Put 53 flathead in it with rebuilt c4 trans ,new 21 circuit 12 volt wiring harness ,mustang II front end with disc brakes ,all new windows,
new body mounts, tilt wheel ,etc ,etc . Putting disc brakes on rear as soon as they arrive .The old Ford trucks are a dime a dozen around here .
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #10
39portlander

Thank's for the info guy's, it's a complete 53 from the mid-west. Will look it over here and just might end up with it later this year, slight chance.

BK, Your right on the cost/time spent these day's, I've had fun with this 39 so far. No restoration or hard to find parts here, this one just need's some TLC. Scott
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote