Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #41
truckdog62563

Default Re: Leaners...You guys hate leaners...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchie View Post
We used to call the guys who would show up at the shop "leaners".
They would lean aganst the fridge and tell you how to build your car and all the things that they would do differently.
Torchie.
Similar story. A couple buddies used to run a foreign car repair shop, and after work guys would show up to bench race and enjoy a few cold beverages. One jerk in particular would plant his butt against some customer's 'benz or BMW and get pissy when one of us gave him heck for doing it. Then when telling us all the things he'd do differently (this guy's a salesman, not a mechanic), it seems the standard opening line was "all ya gotta do is". To this day, that phrase is a time honored joke. Stu
Old 03-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #42
George49Ford

I've actually had people open the door and and get in behind the steering wheel! When around other cars I make a point of hands in pockets and at least two feet away. Sure wish others would.
George49Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #43
brien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkwrench View Post
What is it with some people.. Leaners.. Is it just me? I try not let it get to me.. But I dont like people leaning on my car.. One of the other cars I have is real nice 56 Fairlane, drives me mental ! My brother is a leaner, puts his paws all over my cars when hes in my garage. When I take my car out on club runs , members come up and talk ...And the lean on my car.. AGHHH! I probably wouldn't have a problem if it was a chicky-babe in a bikini [no buckles] So Im not that much of a grump! ..

Leaners why ??!

Why because they are thoughtless, meaning it never occurs to them, and it is likely, no big deal to them..Perhaps a small sign is in order for you.:

Only Bikini Babes w/ no buckles or rings, can lean here.

For me:

After reading this thread, I believe I will go out and buy about 6 or 8 tomato stakes, screw eye hooks in the top of each, and string some good heavy cord through the eye hooks and place the stakes around the outside parameter of my 51 F-3 Post a sign "No trespassing" along with it. I also like the sign "look but no touch". Of course this only works for grass surfaces. I'll have to figure some stands for tar surfaces.

Last edited by brien; 03-19-2013 at 12:10 PM.
brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #44
Sal

I had one dummy lean against my car at a show while he was talking to a guy with a Packard. I calmly went over and asked him if he liked breathing. He gave me a stupid look and I told him that I was going to stop his breath if he didn't get off my car. He moved rather quickly. Some guy's just don't get it.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #45
brien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
I had one dummy lean against my car at a show while he was talking to a guy with a Packard. I calmly went over and asked him if he liked breathing. He gave me a stupid look and I told him that I was going to stop his breath if he didn't get off my car. He moved rather quickly. Some guy's just don't get it.

Sal;
Kind of like "you toucha my car I breaka your face.."
brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:17 AM   #46
rosenkranswa

I don't mind "leaners" per se, it bothers me when people just don't respect others property. Why would anybody let their kid jump up and down on a running board? or consider climbing into somebody elses car? I've been know to stick my head in an open window to get a better look at a dash, but would never dream of openning the door unless invited to do so. Where has our polite society gone?

'19 T Speedster
'26 T Touring
'29 A Roadster
'30 AA Stakebed
'30 A Pickup
'30 A Town Sedan
'31 A Station Wagon
'38 Columbia Girls bike (WWII)
'40 Elgin Boys bike (WWII)
'42 Super Deluxe Tudor
'42 Willys MB Jeep
'43 Willys MBT Trailer
'43 M3A4 Hand Cart
'43 Harley Davidson 42WLA with sidecar
rosenkranswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #47
bigvince

I had the same experience of a kid crawling all over my 48 Woodie Gan. Do I blame the kid - No. He had stupid parents that were totally oblivious to what was going on.
bigvince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #48
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenkranswa View Post
Why would anybody let their kid jump up and down on a running board? or consider climbing into somebody elses car? I've been know to stick my head in an open window to get a better look at a dash, but would never dream of openning the door unless invited to do so. Where has our polite society gone?
No idea, wish it would return. i look at the dashboard sometimes too but i try not to touch the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeesey View Post
My mentor has a 31 Dodge with the original black paint. Now granted its chipped here and there but its original. He went to a local fair and had the car parked in the general parking. As hes walking around he sees a kid running from his front fender, over the running board, and up the back fender. He goes over and yells at the child and the father and then goes back into the fair. Came back out to go home and found F*CK YOU scratched into the paint next to his rear window. To this day he will not take his cars anywhere where he is not near them at all times. Luckily he was able to touch it up so its not noticeable.
This is why i fully support beatings for children & adults. Some people were never beaten properly as children.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #49
Jerry Parr WI

A Model T coil wired with the high voltage attached to the car body will get their attention without saying anything. Doubt they will return.
Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #50
Bill in Al

I like Sal. I do like to be around when I see a youngster eyeing my mostly stock A tudor.I'll ask them if they want to sit in her and then tell them to blow the ahooga horn. Almost always I get a monster grin and maybe a future car lover.After I've made a "friend",I'll mention to them that they should look but not touch the other cars on display because the owners have put a lot of work and money into them.Who knows,maybe some kid can train the parent.
Bill in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #51
Talkwrench

Mmm bring back a public beating !! ; o P
Old 03-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #52
37 Coupe

From my 46 coupe and 53 F-100 I had and now my 37 coupe always scratches on the fat front fenders to try to rub out every spring before the next round. One thing I have never encountered on the other Fords that I have on my 37 is "unauthorized hood openers and closers". I have gone to a couple local shows where I have left car to register or check out the swap meet with hood still closed to come back and find it open,someone wanted to see if it was a flathead.Problem with 37 and 38's is when people try to close the hood and don't know you have to lift up first. The original repair to the crack is damaged again,this season I have an original hood locking handle installed.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #53
Henry/Kokomo

Brien - Old brake drums make good bases for stanchions used on hard surfaces. FWIW
Old 03-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #54
ronn

fun thread.....

bottom line-not worth owning anything nice in life if you have to worry about it.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #55
George/Maine

How do you like someone sitting in the drivers seat,oh i didn,t think you would mind.
Then the stuiped biker with his leather jacket trying to short out my wires on fender with his zipper sleeves,or the little kids jumping on my running boards.
Thats one reason my 39 Ford is the way it is.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #56
jim1932

I want a sign "You touchable the car I touch your wife!"

Remember the scene in American graffiti where the Pharos catch Dreyfus leaning on the car?
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #57
Ken Crans

LOL Jim!
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #58
46fordnut

I've seen some dumb things ....like once some asked me if my car was a kit car!!! or is this a real one. then some sat on the hood of my car...mine is not perfect but it still burns me . then to change things up . last year at my show someone with a nice 60's t bird went to back into a spot never put the car into reverse...pressed gas pedal and went forward not back right into a cart coral . he got a big dent in the front bumper. look at my avatar and you tell me if it is real or not....
Old 03-22-2013, 07:11 AM   #59
Sal

Jim 1932, I had a sign like that on my car years ago. An elderly couple were looking at the car. The husband was one of these people that like to run their fingers along the cars body. Any how when they saw the sign that read " You don't touch my car, I won't touch your wife ". She smacked his hand and told him "if I get touched You're getting a beating". All I could do was laugh.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #60
amodel25

Several years ago the Model A Club was invited to an air show at Meachum Field in Ft. Worth. Returning from a short walk around the show, my friend John found a group of oriental gentlemen in his '29 Fordor. Two in the front seat, two in the back seat and one taking a picture......they were taking turns between sitting in the car and taking the picture. Naturally, when he confronted them about it, none of them spoke English. The problem is, knowing John, if they had asked him ahead of time, he would have said go ahead.
amodel25 is offline   Reply With Quote