Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-24-2014, 02:01 PM   #21
700rpm

Default Re: Car won't start. Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOTER View Post
As mentioned earlier, I put a charge on the battery and tightened up the connections and it started. Although, I'm still showing zero amps on the ammeter when driving. I checked the voltage at the battery while running and it's all over the place. That's about as far as I got this weekend (was at the Big 3 Swap Meet).

I assume the generator should be putting out a fairly steady stream of energy? Bad ammeter?
More likely a bad cut out. You should not drive it if it is not charging. If the ammeter shows a discharge but no charge, it's working and telling you you aren't charging. Sometimes this can be caused by a cracked brush in the generator. Take a gander at that first, then try adjusting the brushes to increase your charging rate. I have also found that sometimes just moving the brushes wakes them up and they start to charge again. If that still doesn't work, I'd try a new cut out. Steve's suggestions are good too, as always.

Also, are you revving the engine and still getting no charge? If it's a replacement ammeter, they can get sticky, but a higher rev will usually loosen them. They might not show a charge at idle, depending on the setting of the brushes and the stickiness of the ammeter.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #22
COOTER

It shows zero at both high idle and when i took it around the block. With lights on, -10.
COOTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:56 PM   #23
Popeye31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26Tguy View Post
This is true. However, he said that the battery tested at "6+" volts and the starter "wont turn". If the battery does truely have over 6 volts, the starter should turn... slowly, but it will turn.

1930 coupe has the correct troubleshooting advice.
the battery can show 6+ volts but once you put a load on it it will show a lower volt if the battery still needs charging or if its bad.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:06 PM   #24
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
As mentioned earlier, I put a charge on the battery and tightened up the connections and it started. Although, I'm still showing zero amps on the ammeter when driving. I checked the voltage at the battery while running and it's all over the place. That's about as far as I got this weekend (was at the Big 3 Swap Meet).

I assume the generator should be putting out a fairly steady stream of energy? Bad ammeter?
Are you using a digital meter? I'd ditch it and get a good analog meter. Take the voltage reading at fast idle on both sides of the cutout, and also the battery posts. All 3 reading should be within one or two tenths of a volt, like 6.4 to 6.5 or so. Then try the same thing with the lights on. Let us know what you find.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:23 AM   #25
COOTER

When the rain had stopped for a few minutes yesterday, I replaced the cut-out and it started up and I'm getting a reading on the ammeter. But when I shut it down and tried to start it again, it wouldn't. Got to get a load tester this week and check the battery.
Between work and weather, this is taking forever.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:44 PM   #26
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
When the rain had stopped for a few minutes yesterday, I replaced the cut-out and it started up and I'm getting a reading on the ammeter. But when I shut it down and tried to start it again, it wouldn't. Got to get a load tester this week and check the battery.
Between work and weather, this is taking forever.
Put a 3 to 6 amp battery charger on the battery for at least 10 hours before trying to use the load checker. I use a volt meter and the starter as a load tester.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:35 PM   #27
COOTER

Will do, thanks.

Update...
Load test shows "weak". Guess I have to change out the battery soon.

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by COOTER; 03-06-2014 at 10:42 AM.