Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-30-2013, 12:26 AM   #21
Rock Hornbuckle

Default Re: How much is my A motor worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyal View Post
A contract between friends and neighbors for a 200 dollar engine is an insult ! A car or a house is fine but lets not get overly efficious ! It borders on being ridiculous !
Al
That's why we have small claims courts!

A bill of sale is a written record of a contract.
'14 100th Anniversary Challenger Limited Edition.

Semper Fidelis

Last edited by Rock Hornbuckle; 05-30-2013 at 12:52 AM.
Rock Hornbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:04 AM   #22
Popeye31

so A rebuilt motor cost $3000 and a good running motor is only worth $200-$300? to add a little info here I bought the motor a few years ago and cleaned it pulled the pan cleaned it and the oil pump everything looked good got in the bottom end. got it running pulled the head because the head had some welds and I wanted a clean head . put a good head and new head gasket . put everything back together and got it running again than I put it in the corner of the garadge wating to be put in the fourdoor . so this running motor is only worth 2-300 ?
Old 05-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #23
Rowdy
BANNED

In your original post all that you mentioned was it was repainted. Did you adjust the shims in the bearings while you had it opened up? If so how how many shims are left in each of the amins and the rods? Did you measure the cyl's for wear? If so ho much wear and taper do the cyl's have? All of these things play a factor in jow much life the engine likely has. Just my thoughts. I have an engine on thje stand right now, that as soon as I have the money for a valve job and balancing it will be going back together with a B cam and HC head. Likely it will be a good runner for some one, but definately not a full rebuild as it did not need it. Has some wear as can be expected and several shims left. This engine came from a home made garden tractor, so likely has not been abused. I feel that with the condition and mild cam and head upgrades it should be worth about $1200. Rod
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:37 AM   #24
eagle

You asked for advice and got a whole bucket full. The gist of the matter is: You are the only one who knows the engine, you are also the owner, set the price where you want. Caveat Emptor. If the buyer is given accurate information, and makes the decision to pay the price, great. The problem is when an item is misrepresented.
eagle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:50 AM   #25
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye31 View Post
so A rebuilt motor cost $3000 and a good running motor is only worth $200-$300? to add a little info here I bought the motor a few years ago and cleaned it pulled the pan cleaned it and the oil pump everything looked good got in the bottom end. got it running pulled the head because the head had some welds and I wanted a clean head . put a good head and new head gasket . put everything back together and got it running again than I put it in the corner of the garadge wating to be put in the fourdoor . so this running motor is only worth 2-300 ?

Popeye,

I don't think anyone is trying to insult or low-ball you.

Take a few moments and re-read your original post, then read replies 2, 5, 7, 11, etc. You're initial post only mentioned that the engine was running and that it had a fresh coat of paint.

So far, I've gotten burned on two "running" A engines that turned-out to have deck cracks, and one of which has no shims left, wiped babbit on two rods, really worn cylinders, etc.

One engine cost $350 for the engine and tranny alone.

The other was: engine (complete with all accessories), tranny, radiator (neck missing), complete rear-end and torque-tube, (4) 19" and (1) 21" wheels, running boards, original steel fenders and aprons ( all rough, but restoreable), front and rear bumpers, Steering gear and wheel, and some other miscellaneous small parts - all for $450.

Given all the parts I got with engine #2, I felt like I did okay there.

For more than $500, I would want either a 30-day money-back guaranty, or the opportunity to pull the head and pan and inspect everything myself.

That's just me, but as I said before, I've twice wound-up with cracked blocks ("that aren't worth pinning" according to many on this forum -"good blocks are plentiful and cheap" they tell me... ).

If you can document the condition of the engine, perhaps provide photos of the babbit, bearing journals, rear-main (cracks?), valve chamber, adjust all the bearing clearances and document how many shims are left in each bearing, etc... then you could justify a higher asking price.

Otherwise, someone is buying a "pig in a poke"... caveat emptor.

And, unfortunately (?), us stockers seem to be a ... "thrifty"... crowd, and try to spend our mad money carefully.

Last edited by Special Coupe Frank; 05-30-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #26
Skibb

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
This is an interesting question. To cut to the quick, my guess is $ 350. We could all write a book about our experiences with Model A engines. You're thinking this short block will be a winner and we hope it is.

Popeye, I didn't see the post about your cleaning the pan, new head and gasket and actually running the engine afterwards that's certainly increases the value. I cant say though by how much. You're a good man and will figure out what works for you and your club member buyer.

Last edited by Skibb; 05-30-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #27
1931 flamingo

It's only worth what somebody is willing to give you for it.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #28
flatheadz-forever

Im selling my motor that has been rebuilt recently as in about two years ago, its got fresh pistons, with an overbore, all new gaskets, main bearings are nice and tight and it has been detailed nicely, I am looking to ask in the 2000 dollar range it really runs great and the buyer will be able to hear it run before they bring it home
flatheadz-forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #29
jkeesey

I would still say $300 even if all that has been done to it. I have seen many running engines after that much work go to a rebuilder and have non repairable cracks. A buddy of mine just went through 5 engines, 3 of which were running before disasembly and were non repairable.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote