Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-28-2015, 10:07 AM   #1
Tom F OHIO

Default Throw out bearing help

My son's car is making a noise when the clutch is pushed in. I removed the inspection plate and seen that when the clutch is pushed in just a little bit the throw out bearing makes a grinding noise. Let off of the pedal and it stops. Need some help on where to start. I did add a little bit of grease in the zerk which didn't help any.
Thanks, Tom......
Tom F OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:18 AM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: Throw out bearing help

Pull the trans back and replace the bearing... I do them by just sliding it back a little as a unit with the rear attached... Of course a lift and fork lift is a big help.... I would also replace the clutch, pressure plate and pilot bearing if you don't know the history... I hate doing things twice for a couple hundred bucks....
Proceed how you see fit..
Here is a thread showing how I do it....
http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109722

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 12-28-2015 at 10:53 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:45 AM   #3
Patrick L.

Yep, what Mitch said.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:36 AM   #4
Terry, NJ

Yes What Mitch said. But I fear you'll have to jack up the rear and disconnect the rear spring from the frame. I don't think you'll move it back far enough to get the Transmission out. Once out, as Mitch said, replace everything inside the bell housing.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:46 AM   #5
Terry, NJ

OOOPZ One more thing! Don't try to disconnect the spring at the shackles! Unless you have a spreader! This is really Dangerous! There was just a thread on this subject recently. There is a clamp at the center of the spring that attaches the frame to the spring, the spring and the rear drop down. Leave the wheels on and roll it back the necessary distance.
Terry
Old 12-28-2015, 12:38 PM   #6
Tom F OHIO

Thanks a lot guys for the help. I am going to look at the thread that Mitch sent me. Also good advice about the spring, as we don't want to get hurt.
Tom.......
Old 12-28-2015, 01:44 PM   #7
Marshall V. Daut

That zerk fitting does not grease the throwout bearing. It only greases the "cone", upon which the throwout bearing carrier slides back and forth. By the time the throwout bearing makes noise when the clutch pedal is depressed, it's already too late and the bearing is on its last legs. The only cure for a noisy throwout bearing is to replace it, as others have described.
Too bad Ford didn't make the thowout bearing serviceable by installing a zerk fitting in the bearing itself at 180 degrees apart to maintain balance. Then a little squirt of grease now and then would have saved us restorers a ton of grief, work and expense just to replace this part.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:46 PM   #8
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
That zerk fitting does not grease the throwout bearing. It only greases the "cone", upon which the throwout bearing carrier slides back and forth. By the time the throwout bearing makes noise when the clutch pedal is depressed, it's already too late and the bearing is on its last legs. The only cure for a noisy throwout bearing is to replace it, as others have described.
Too bad Ford didn't make the thowout bearing serviceable by installing a zerk fitting in the bearing itself at 180 degrees apart to maintain balance. Then a little squirt of grease now and then would have saved us restorers a ton of grief, work and expense just to replace this part.
Marshall
It's called job security
Old 12-28-2015, 02:03 PM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

Actually on the original bearing the grease jerk would lubricate both. I'm still using my original bearing on my car since it felt good.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 02:12 PM   #10
2manycars

The multi disk clutch throwout bearing has a zerk on it.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 02:28 PM   #11
BILL WILLIAMSON

I've found that even with a NEW T.O. Brg, it can be repacked nicely with a wheel bearing packer. "SOMETIMES, the new grease in the bearings is much like VASELINE!!
Even small bearings, like generator bearings, etc, can be repacked the same way.
Greasy Bill
Old 12-28-2015, 02:51 PM   #12
Patrick L.

Some bearings are greased thru the carrier. Apparently most replacements are not. An examination of the bearing will show which bearing you have.

But, from the first post [ OP ], that bearing is beyond any hope.

As Bill said, many bearings can be 'packed' prior to installation which is a good idea.

I also agree with removing the rear axle/spring assembly as one piece and just slide it back far enough to get the job done.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:56 PM   #13
Tom F OHIO

I think we will get the throw out bearing and other parts from Bratton's. Can that bearing be packed manually or should we try and get one that has a zerk on it and if so where do you get one?
Tom.......
Old 12-28-2015, 05:12 PM   #14
2manycars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom F OHIO View Post
I think we will get the throw out bearing and other parts from Bratton's. Can that bearing be packed manually or should we try and get one that has a zerk on it and if so where do you get one?
Tom.......
The zerk is only on the early cars with multi plate clutch. Bratton will have a good quality bearing.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:15 PM   #15
Terry, NJ

"Zerk" is another name for a grease fitting. They are available from any auto parts store. Since there's so many styles available, better take the old one a match it up. Good luck!
Oh yeah, another thing. Jack the frame, not the axles!
Terry
Old 12-28-2015, 05:46 PM   #16
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Just get the bearing USA made from brattons... It's sealed so don't worry about packing it, that won't do anything but make for a bigger mess and slung grease and put it in...
Old 12-28-2015, 06:06 PM   #17
jw hash

Tom
you say when you push the clutch in there is a grinding sound. throw out bearings normally make a squealing sound. if you have not tore it apart yet. start it up and put your foot on the clutch pedal and push it in just until the throw out bearing make enough contact to make the bearing turn. it sounds to me that your ring gear on your fly wheel has moved forward. it will make a grinding noise on the starter bolts.

the reason I brought this up is, this just happened to a friend of mine and after he remove and replace the rear end and transmission and it did not fix the problem. he brought the car over here and we figured out that it was the ring gear on the flywheel.

Last edited by jw hash; 12-28-2015 at 08:24 PM.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:54 PM   #18
Dodge

Check the end float on the crankshaft, if it is excessive the ring gear can hit the starter
bolts as mentioned above. Otherwise the throwout bearing, (you can't fix the bearing
you have to throw it out, there for a throwout bearing ha ha.)
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:56 PM   #19
tdlmomowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw hash View Post
Tom
you say when you push the clutch in there is a grinding sound. throw out bearings normally make a squealing sound. if you have not tore it apart yet. start it up and put your foot on the clutch pedal and push it in just until the throw out bearing make enough contact to make the bearing turn. it sounds to me that your ring gear on your fly wheel has moved forward. it will make a grinding noise on the starter bolts.

the reason I brought this up is, this just happened to a friend of mine and after he remove and replace the rear end and transmission and it did not fix the problem. he brought the car over here and we figured out that it was the ring gear on the flywheel.
I would be very concerned if the flywheel is moving, forward or backward. As the flywheel is attached to the crankshaft, that would mean that the crankshaft is also moving. What is the allowable crankshaft endplay on a Model A engine? Would this not indicate that the crankshaft thrust bearing is badly worn?
tdlmomowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 03:59 PM   #20
quickchange

Did a sneaky few years ago on the thrust bearing by removing inspection plate , drilled a pin hole in bearing case , filled with grease via grease gun , then soldered the hole up or use JB , Did hundreds of miles on it . Derek in a wet NZ
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote