Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
habbott

Default Oil modification full flow

I getting ready to do the oil modification on my 59A but I am confused. Read many different threads. Attached are some articles with good information.

One articles call for a 9/16 hole drilled down into the pump cavity the other use 7/16 hole which is correct.

The hole you drill for the return line and enlarge to 3/8 NPT how far do drill this hole. The horizontal oil gallery size is only about 13/32. Do you increase this gallery to 9/16 as well or do you just drill till you break through.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf KingWhitePaper.pdf (31.3 KB, 251 views)
File Type: pdf 95% OIl Filtering System.pdf (114.6 KB, 273 views)
habbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
Ol' Ron

Default Re: Oil modification full flow

The 95% one looks ok to me. When doing this type of modification alittle common sense is all it takes. Yoy might find the cross passage way alittle large for a 7/16 plug. However you don't need a full thread.
Ol' Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:03 AM   #3
habbott

Thanks Ron
habbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:48 AM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

I used the Carl Roseville write-up that I downloaded from Bill B's old msn flathead ford v8 1932-53 website when I built my last 59 engine. I believe this is basically the same method 'Ol Ron covers in his book. Prior to that I used the MCF 100% full flow system from Mark Kirby, who is no longer in that business, on my '35 21 stud engine build. I like the MCF system best but I did have some initial complications with installation on that one.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:54 AM   #5
flatmotor40

you can still get full flow at Gollershotrods .com.But I used MCF on mine
flatmotor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:42 AM   #6
Walt Dupont--Me.

I'd take that MCF full flow set up and stick it, with all that plumming inside the pan and coming out the side of the pan. One of those set up was enough for me. Some people scare people by saying the rear main don't get filted oil, so what, with all that oil going through the full flow filter I'd say the rear main is getting pretey clean oil. Flatheads never had much of a filter. You can strip 100 flatheads and the rear main is usually the best looking bearing in the engine. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:24 AM   #7
JM 35 Sedan

Hey Walt, if you still have that MCF system that you didn't like and removed, I'll buy it from you....unless you stuck it in a trash can and it's now burried under tons of trash at some dump in Gardiner, Maine. I would love to put another MCF system on my Avatar car. I came up with a good way to avoid those plumbing problems you speak of. Most folks don't even see the outside pluming or the filter when I open the hood on my '35 fordor and it's working like a champ!! Then on the other hand how about the guy who posted here about modifying his engine for the partial flow system and thought he could temporarily block off the ports where the oil lines connected to the filter. He wound up ruining all the bearings and some other components in his newly built engine. Why? Because he forgot to use the bypass feature designed for the Canadian engines. Nothing is perfect especially when it's not assembled correctly. JMO

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 03-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #8
flatjack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatmotor40 View Post
you can still get full flow at Gollershotrods .com.But I used MCF on mine
That is the old MCF system. I like it just because with the 95% system, it's hard to access those lines in a lot of cars.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #9
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
That is the old MCF system. I like it just because with the 95% system, it's hard to access those lines in a lot of cars.
Yes, I knew someone else like maybe 'Hot Rod Custom'? was selling Mark's FF system but believe they went belly up and I didn't know if anyone else had picked it up for their line. I spoke to Mark K. at several shows and he didn't know of anyone at that time who might be carrying his old design system either. Thanks for the heads up on where it get one.

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 03-21-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #10
Walt Dupont--Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Hey Walt, if you still have that MCF system that you didn't like and removed, I'll buy it from you....unless you stuck it in a trash can and it's now burried under tons of trash at some dump in Gardiner, Maine. I would love to put another MCF system on my Avatar car. I came up with a good way to avoid those plumbing problems you speak of. Most folks don't even see the outside pluming or the filter when I open the hood on my '35 fordor and it's working like a champ!! Then on the other hand how about the guy who posted here about modifying his engine for the partial flow system and thought he could temporarily block off the ports where the oil lines connected to the filter. He wound up ruining all the bearings and some other components in his newly built engine. Why? Because he forgot to use the bypass feature designed for the Canadian engines. Nothing is perfect especially when it's not assembled correctly. JMO
No John, I did use that MCF system on an engine I built for a guy in NJ, It was quite an engine, .125 bore, 4-1/8 stroke, 284ci, Crower roller cam .450 lift, I forget the heads, I think they were Offys, 3 carb 97's. 37 LaSalle trans, Quick change rear, in a 35 street coupe. The guy is in his 70's and just love the car, drives it all the time. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:58 AM   #11
Robert1936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
The 95% one looks ok to me. When doing this type of modification alittle common sense is all it takes. Yoy might find the cross passage way alittle large for a 7/16 plug. However you don't need a full thread.
Ron, the 95% method talks about rotating the rear cam bearing. I have an 8BA that has new cam bearings already fitted. Does this mean that I won't be able the use this method for better oiling?
Thanks Robert1936
Robert1936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:22 AM   #12
Ol' Ron

NO!! Rotating the rear bearing is not necessary.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #13
Ralph Moore

Ron, Isn't the cam bearing only rotated in the early 59 style blocks?
Ralph Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #14
Karl Wolf

Don't rotate cam bearings in anything... There is no reason to do it. And, if you ever decide to run a mechanical fuel pump, you got a problem.
Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #15
wga

Mr. Ardun - Doug King's version works well.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:18 PM   #16
Jim1953f250

In the process of rebuilding a '53 8BA and decided to go with the 95% filter modification. Going to use the remote spin-on filter setup I bought from Mac's auto which replaces the original cartridge filter. I plan on taking the orifice out of the inlet fitting so it should work like a full flow filter. My question is, what size lines do I use to and from the filter? The fittings are 1/4" tube but I could change them to 3/8". None of the articles I've read states what size the lines should be.
Jim1953f250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:32 PM   #17
Old Ford Addict

Better read some more

This isn’t a take one off and bolt the other on kind of thing.
Holes must be drilled and tapped and one internal one plugged
Old Ford Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:28 PM   #18
Ol' Ron

Rotating the rear cam bearing is only used if you plan on using an electric fuel pump and is not necessary for any other reason. This prevents the oil mist found on the firewall after a long run with the 59 blocks.
With the 8BA blocks you MUST rotate the rear cam bearing if you remove the fuel pump bushing and plug it This will prevent the pressurized oil from entering the rear cam bearing causing oil starvation in the fron and center mains. Best to study how the oil system works.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:54 PM   #19
Teich

I am in trouble big time, did 100% filtered,Canadian block( seems like thats all we have), I removed the pushrod bushing plugged the hole,drilled the block from rear cam bearing ,don't think I turned it, down to the rear bearing new hole in bearing and plugged the original oil hole from the oil pump. Where the oil preasure sender/filter is screwed in there are two holes one up from pump the other is into the gallery going to the engine, plugged between these oil comes up out side hole through the oil filter then back in the other hole it's run now for 10 000 miles. Forgot where I read about this---I guess ihad better find it! Laurie
Teich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:00 AM   #20
HotRodmicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Dupont--Me. View Post
No John, I did use that MCF system on an engine I built for a guy in NJ, It was quite an engine, .125 bore, 4-1/8 stroke, 284ci, Crower roller cam .450 lift, I forget the heads, I think they were Offys, 3 carb 97's. 37 LaSalle trans, Quick change rear, in a 35 street coupe. The guy is in his 70's and just love the car, drives it all the time. Walt
Hi Walt can you tell me more about the roller cam specs?
How much do the roller lifters weight?
What spring pressure did you use?
Thanks
Michael
HotRodmicky is offline   Reply With Quote